Re: Trip to shining rock

  • BOBMACDOWELL@WEBTV.NET
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2004
      Let me offer some personal incite on this. The first thing would be to
      ask if you have heard of the storm setup. Using the storm setup when
      connected to the hammock lines will work, with a few modifications. When
      you set up your hammock for the night, first sit in it and make your
      dinner. Place a nice flat rock about 2 ft. in front of you and set up
      your stove.Buy the time your done with dinner you will notice that your
      butt is about 6 in. off the ground. Re tie the hammock. This stretch
      seems to subside after about 25 nights in the hammock. After re tying
      put the tarp on. I guess the best way to explain this would be to put
      your son in the hammock. Now pull the tarp in as close to the hammock
      body as possible. Do this on both sides. Stake it down. Your son will
      notice that the tarp will be touching the hammock body almost the entire
      perimeter of the hammock body. Pretty much water tight. Don't forget the
      snakeskins or drip rags. Now it should look pretty bomb proof.
      Let me try to explain the flappy tarp syndrome. When you lay in the
      hammock all night long your going to notice the same scenario as after
      dinner. When you wake up your arse is dragging the ground again. Now
      think about what exactly happened. The stretch in the fabric adds a
      little. the stretch in the tree huggers adds to it, and the minor
      stretch in the ropes add to it. As all this stretching goes on the tarp
      is going down with it. As the tarp goes down the tie outs loosen up.
      causing the taunt pitch you had in the beginning to become loose
      flapping fabric. The remedy, 1/4 in. bungie(shock cord) I put a piece
      about 18 in. long. Loop one end thru the O-ring on the tarp. Bring it
      back about 1 1/2 in. and thread rap it with about twenty rounds of
      dental floss and tie it off. Do the same to the other end and tie the
      tarp rope to it. Now stake it down to the ground with a good bit of
      stretch. As the hammock comes down over night the shock cord makes the
      adjustment for the sag and keeps the tarp taunt. This does work with the
      stock tarp or any other tarp.
      The hot set-up, the mac cat on a higher ridge line with the same
      shock cord setup. Covers more ground, more head room and the catinary
      cut allows for an extremely taunt pitch. Sorry gang for the long rant
      but i'm just trying to help.
    • Craig
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 29, 2004
        Thanks Bob, that was helpful..