Re: Trip to Shining Rock

  • jack_tier
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
      Steve,

      Though all your post I sense that you know something larger than the
      stock Backpacker fly is needed in bad weather. Though there are
      some who can make the fly work though there is little to no margin
      for pitch error or less than optimum site selection. Larger Hex
      tarps, mac cats,8x10s or 8x8 are the most often refered to
      solutions. This is especially true if you add a fluffy under quilt
      below you. You can get this extra coverage for as little of a
      weight penalty as 3 additional oz over stock or as much as a pound
      plus depending on the solution you select.

      In any case, if you want a tight tarp with little to no flapping tie
      the ridge line to the trees.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <joiners@b...> wrote:

      > Hi, all. I came back from a trip to Shining Rock with my 14 yo
      son
      > and some friends - have posted a few pics in the 'Steve' folder.
      > have a few observations and a couple of questions....
      >
      > We started at Daniel Boon Scout Camp on the northwest corner of
      the
      > wilderness area, hiked ~6 miles up ~2,600 feet to Shining Rock
      Gap.
> [...]
      > ridge, but chose to stay on top of the mtn in the meadow because
      of
      > the view....
      >
      > My son and I both hung HH - he has the coccoon, i have the asym bp
      > ultralite. We used a target blue pad and thermarest 3/4 pads for
      > padding. I used my homemade quilt and silk liner, my son used his
      > 20 degree bag as a quilt. We both had on several layers of
      > clothing. We generally stayed warm - temps Sat am were in the low
      > 20's, wind gusted to 20 or 30 mph during the night - stronger in
      the
      > morning after daybreak. I've been watching the discussions about
      > the underquilts with a lot of interest - may try to tackle making
      > couple this winter.... I had over 2 lbs of padding in my pack
      (pack
      > weight of ~25 for the 3 day weekend) - could probably take out
      over
      > a pound with a down underquilt... The JRB product looks great -
      but
      > a little out of my price range right now...
      >
      > We didn't hang the tarp from a separate ridgeline as many of you
      > have suggested. When we set up Fri evening, there was no wind, so
      > didn't worry about it. The wind picked up during the night, and I
      > regretted it. My tarp flapping kept me awake some - but not
      enough
      > to encourage me to get up in the cold and fiddle with it! I had
      > brought rope to run a separate ridgeline for it, and regretted not
      > doing so.... Even with the tarp flapping, I slept well - going
      down
      > at about 10, staying in bed until 9, and woke with no pressure
      > points, etc - SOP for hammock sleeping!
      >
      > Weather turned on us Saturday. Late in the week, rain had been
      > taken out of the forecast, and I took 2 8x10 tarps out of our
      > packs. NOAA weather told us Sat am that a good bit of rain was
      > headed our way... I regretted taking out the tarps.. We hiked
      from
      > Cold Mtn, over Staircase mtn, across The Narrows, and down to Deep
      > Gap. Deep Gap put us at the base of Cold Mtn, about 3 miles and
      800
      > ft from where we planned to camp. We were also at the trailhead
      > Dan Boone Camp... Group decided that we'd prefer to hike in the
      > rain down to the truck (temps were in the 30's) rather than up the
      > mtn to set up camp in the rain... We hiked the 2,600 ft and 5 or
      6
      > miles down to the truck in drizzle for an hour or so, and heavy
      rain
      > for an hour or so...
      >
      > My takeaways / questions:
      > 1) we were able to stay warm in rather extreme conditions with
      > quilts, padding (and 'toe warmers' between a couple of layers of
      > socks!), and several layers of clothing.
      > 2) I have yet to be able to tighten the tarp on the HH while using
      > the standard setup, with the tarp attached to the HH ridgeline.
      Am
      > I doing something wrong here? Does everyone use a separate
      > ridgeline for the kind of conditions we had?
      > 3) If we had decided to camp on Sat night on the top of Cold Mtn
      > without a larger tarp, I think we'd have been in trouble. Temps
      in
      > the low 30's, wind gusting to 30+ mph, and heavy rain. While we
      > would have been in a more sheltered campsite, I don't think the
      > standard HH tarp would have kept us dry, even with a separate
      > ridgeline..... Does anyone have experience otherwise?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Steve
    • ghman777
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
        I was recently up at SR myself. My fav place to go. I use a regular
        hammock with a Speer Pea Pod. Had my wife sew 2 velcro strips length
        wise inside the Pod for a down quilt to stay in place for winter.
        That setup with a top quilt will keep me snug with a single layer of
        clothing. With the way winter weather is on the Rock, I also carry a
        blue foam pad cut to form for the inside if needed, or.. then I could
        put the setup on the ground along with my 8X10 for those extreme
        artic express surprises up there. Gotta love it!