Trip to Shining Rock

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
      Hi, all. I came back from a trip to Shining Rock with my 14 yo son
      and some friends - have posted a few pics in the 'Steve' folder. I
      have a few observations and a couple of questions....

      We started at Daniel Boon Scout Camp on the northwest corner of the
      wilderness area, hiked ~6 miles up ~2,600 feet to Shining Rock Gap.
      Took about 4 hours. Got there just at dusk. Set up camp in a
      meadow at the top of Shining Rock mtn. Evidently one of several
      terraces put on the top of the mtn as a part of logging operations a
      hundred years ago. Beautiful view of Cold Mtn as the sun was
      setting... We could have camped at a more sheltered area off the
      ridge, but chose to stay on top of the mtn in the meadow because of
      the view....

      My son and I both hung HH - he has the coccoon, i have the asym bp
      ultralite. We used a target blue pad and thermarest 3/4 pads for
      padding. I used my homemade quilt and silk liner, my son used his
      20 degree bag as a quilt. We both had on several layers of
      clothing. We generally stayed warm - temps Sat am were in the low
      20's, wind gusted to 20 or 30 mph during the night - stronger in the
      morning after daybreak. I've been watching the discussions about
      the underquilts with a lot of interest - may try to tackle making a
      couple this winter.... I had over 2 lbs of padding in my pack (pack
      weight of ~25 for the 3 day weekend) - could probably take out over
      a pound with a down underquilt... The JRB product looks great - but
      a little out of my price range right now...

      We didn't hang the tarp from a separate ridgeline as many of you
      have suggested. When we set up Fri evening, there was no wind, so I
      didn't worry about it. The wind picked up during the night, and I
      regretted it. My tarp flapping kept me awake some - but not enough
      to encourage me to get up in the cold and fiddle with it! I had
      brought rope to run a separate ridgeline for it, and regretted not
      doing so.... Even with the tarp flapping, I slept well - going down
      at about 10, staying in bed until 9, and woke with no pressure
      points, etc - SOP for hammock sleeping!

      Weather turned on us Saturday. Late in the week, rain had been
      taken out of the forecast, and I took 2 8x10 tarps out of our
      packs. NOAA weather told us Sat am that a good bit of rain was
      headed our way... I regretted taking out the tarps.. We hiked from
      Cold Mtn, over Staircase mtn, across The Narrows, and down to Deep
      Gap. Deep Gap put us at the base of Cold Mtn, about 3 miles and 800
      ft from where we planned to camp. We were also at the trailhead to
      Dan Boone Camp... Group decided that we'd prefer to hike in the
      rain down to the truck (temps were in the 30's) rather than up the
      mtn to set up camp in the rain... We hiked the 2,600 ft and 5 or 6
      miles down to the truck in drizzle for an hour or so, and heavy rain
      for an hour or so...

      My takeaways / questions:
      1) we were able to stay warm in rather extreme conditions with
      quilts, padding (and 'toe warmers' between a couple of layers of
      socks!), and several layers of clothing.
      2) I have yet to be able to tighten the tarp on the HH while using
      the standard setup, with the tarp attached to the HH ridgeline. Am
      I doing something wrong here? Does everyone use a separate
      ridgeline for the kind of conditions we had?
      3) If we had decided to camp on Sat night on the top of Cold Mtn
      without a larger tarp, I think we'd have been in trouble. Temps in
      the low 30's, wind gusting to 30+ mph, and heavy rain. While we
      would have been in a more sheltered campsite, I don't think the
      standard HH tarp would have kept us dry, even with a separate
      ridgeline..... Does anyone have experience otherwise?

      Thanks!

      Steve
    • jack_tier
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
        Steve,

        Though all your post I sense that you know something larger than the
        stock Backpacker fly is needed in bad weather. Though there are
        some who can make the fly work though there is little to no margin
        for pitch error or less than optimum site selection. Larger Hex
        tarps, mac cats,8x10s or 8x8 are the most often refered to
        solutions. This is especially true if you add a fluffy under quilt
        below you. You can get this extra coverage for as little of a
        weight penalty as 3 additional oz over stock or as much as a pound
        plus depending on the solution you select.

        In any case, if you want a tight tarp with little to no flapping tie
        the ridge line to the trees.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <joiners@b...> wrote:

> [...]
        > 1) we were able to stay warm in rather extreme conditions with
        > quilts, padding (and 'toe warmers' between a couple of layers of
        > socks!), and several layers of clothing.
        > 2) I have yet to be able to tighten the tarp on the HH while using
        > the standard setup, with the tarp attached to the HH ridgeline.
        Am
        > I doing something wrong here? Does everyone use a separate
        > ridgeline for the kind of conditions we had?
        > 3) If we had decided to camp on Sat night on the top of Cold Mtn
        > without a larger tarp, I think we'd have been in trouble. Temps
        in
        > the low 30's, wind gusting to 30+ mph, and heavy rain. While we
        > would have been in a more sheltered campsite, I don't think the
        > standard HH tarp would have kept us dry, even with a separate
        > ridgeline..... Does anyone have experience otherwise?

      • ghman777
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
          I was recently up at SR myself. My fav place to go. I use a regular
          hammock with a Speer Pea Pod. Had my wife sew 2 velcro strips length
          wise inside the Pod for a down quilt to stay in place for winter.
          That setup with a top quilt will keep me snug with a single layer of
          clothing. With the way winter weather is on the Rock, I also carry a
          blue foam pad cut to form for the inside if needed, or.. then I could
          put the setup on the ground along with my 8X10 for those extreme
          artic express surprises up there. Gotta love it!