JRB Underquilt

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2004
      I love this thing!

      I just got back from my Thanksgiving trip yesterday and the box was
      waiting on me. Um...packed in a women's company box with packing
      tape that said "Enriching Women's Lives"...gave my neighbors pause
      when they asked me exactly what kind of hiking I did...

      So I tested it last night down to 41* and never got chilled in my
      homemade hammock based on one of Risk's designs. I slept in a thin
      polyester long johns, thick socks, a watch cap and balaclava. The
      plan was to sleep without a tarp since it was 0% chance of rain, so
      I set everything up and went back inside. By the time I got back
      out (about an hour later), the dewpoint had hit and it was soaked!
      No big deal...the DWR kept the Nest dry, and it cocooned the hammock
      enough to protect most of it from the water. I set up the 8x8 tarp
      real quick.

      A few minor adjustments warmed up any cold spots that formed, but
      once I get the fit right that shouldn't happen anymore. I'll need
      to work on the fit since I didn't use it on the Hennessey, and a
      couple of times I had to pull the underquilt up on the sides because
      it slid off-center when I changed positions...that's what caused the
      cold spots. I might add another tab on each long side of the Nest,
      opposite the ones there for the A-Sym shape, and attach those to the
      sides of the hammock.

      I used the No Sniveller, too. I'll have to get used to using a
      quilt instead of a bag. A couple of times I rolled over and my
      shoulder or back was exposed long enough to get cold. Again, just
      something to get used to.

      Overall, I love the setup. Thanks, JRB!

      Jeff