Re: [Hammock Camping] HH Expl Delux Undercover

  • Greg Carter
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2004
      Hi Aris,

      Sometimes you can be lucky. Didn't fit the UC until it was finished. I cut
      it out as per the pattern and sewed it up - perfect fit!.

      Not using any foam at this stage, have been very cosy without any
      insulation. Experimenting with diff types of foam is the next stage of the
      project to see what will work.

      BTW how's your Jacks R Us going (I think that was the underquilt you
      bought)?

      Cheers

      Greg

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 28, 2004
        Hi Greg,
        I went on a trip a bit over a week ago in the hope of
        using my underquilt. We were walking along a creek all
        day and didn't come across any sets of trees suitable
        for the hammocks! We even climbed the ridge to look
        for trees- the only suitable ones were on a cliff at
        a 70 degree angle. This might have been a bit
        dangerous if toilet brakes were needed during the
        night!

        So the underquilt has only had backyard testing so
        far. I found the suspension cords were a little short
        for my model, so I bought some longer bungy cord and
        it's all fine now.

        Regarding your undercover- is the groundsheet a
        rectangle with draw cords at each end?

        Aris

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Greg Carter
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2004
          Hi Aris,

          Thanks for the reply. Yes, could have been interesting going to the toilet at that angle.  I nearly found myself in the same predicament a couple of weeks ago after setting out on a solo trip and discovering that the country I had walked into had all been burnt out. The only place that wasn't was a steep sided rainforest creek. Decided to go a bit further however, and found a flat patch that was untouched. Interesting!

          I've been thinking about some sort of device that you could use for midnight calls of nature in these situations. Perhaps something like "P-P-Pipe" as a marketing name!

          Re the undercover. I've attached the pattern that I used to make it up. The cover started out as a rectangle and only required minimal shaping to fit the pattern. It was destined for the task! At first the ends appeared to be wider than I thought they should, but once I'd inserted some wide elastic and pulled the ends in they fitted very well to the hammock shape. The person who developed the pattern must have done a lot of playing about to get the right shape. I purchased some open cell foam today and will begin experimenting with that.

          Hope you find some trees soon.

          --- Greg Carter <fly_high@...> wrote:

          > Hi Aris,
          >
          > Sometimes you can be lucky. Didn't fit the UC until
          > it was finished. I cut
          > it out as per the pattern and sewed it up - perfect
          > fit!.
          >
          > Not using any foam at this stage, have been very
          > cosy without any
          > insulation. Experimenting with diff types of foam is
          >  the next stage of the
          > project to see what will work.
          >
          > BTW how's your Jacks R Us  going (I think that was
          > the underquilt you
          > bought)?
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Greg

        • Steve Joiner
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 29, 2004
            Hi, Greg - what kind of insulation are you using in your undercover?

            Steve

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
              Hi Steve,

              Thanks for the email. First trip I didn't use any insulation with it. Night temps here in Aust at the moment are conducive to using a sleeping bag liner if that. I did find however, that a cool ocean breeze could leave your back/shoulder/butt chilled, so that's where the U/cover came in on its' own. I guess it cut out that convective heat loss and provided some small level of insulation.

              Since then I've added a piece of 12mm, what they call here, strip foam which is basically cheap open cell foam. I'll see what difference that makes and go from there.

              Regards

              Greg

              --- Greg Carter <fly_high@...> wrote:

              > Hi Aris,
              >
              > Sometimes you can be lucky. Didn't fit the UC until
              > it was finished. I cut
              > it out as per the pattern and sewed it up - perfect
              > fit!.
              >
              > Not using any foam at this stage, have been very
              > cosy without any
              > insulation. Experimenting with diff types of foam is
              >  the next stage of the
              > project to see what will work.
              >
              > BTW how's your Jacks R Us  going (I think that was
              > the underquilt you
              > bought)?
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Greg

            • john hill

                --- Greg Carter <fly_high@...> wrote:

                > Hi Aris,
                >
                > Sometimes you can be lucky. Didn't fit the UC until
                > it was finished. I cut
                > it out as per the pattern and sewed it up - perfect
                > fit!.
                >
                > Not using any foam at this stage, have been very
                > cosy without any
                > insulation. Experimenting with diff types of foam is
                >  the next stage of the
                > project to see what will work.
                >
                > BTW how's your Jacks R Us  going (I think that was
                > the underquilt you
                > bought)?
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Greg