RE: [Hammock Camping] Subject: Re:staying warm in Hennessy hammock/Horsethief bag

  • Jackie Lynn Evans
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 27, 2004

      Good evening,

      I researched the BA Horse Thief before buying a WM bag.  I believe I have seen a picture depicting, as well as read, that the pillow sleeve goes on the outside.  I am not quiet sure about this.  Hope this info helps

      Repeat/Jackie

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 27, 2004
        Hi Stephanie

        Just wondering if the pad sleeve with pad inside is what's going
        on. If the pad keeps the lower side from snugging up like most
        other sleeping bags I think this may be what is causing the funny
        fit you describe when you try to adjust the face opening. I am not
        familiar with the smaller BA bags but the Hog Park I tested for BGT
        was a lot different than a normal bag on a pad. It kept the hood
        from snugging around my head. I basically just adjusted it so I had
        a hole to look out of. It felt much different becaus I'm used to a
        snug fitting hood. I touched on this a little in my Hog Park review
        but it may not apply that much to the Horse Thief.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "stephanie" <sswaim63@s...>
        wrote:

        > Todd,
        >
        > What I think I need to do is to get someone else to lay down in
        the
        > Horsethief and use them as a guinea pig so I can't see what is
        going
        > on with that neck area. I can't really tell what is going on to my
        > satisfaction when I'm laying in it myself! I read the reviews on
        BGT
        > but to no avail. I just need to see what it is intended to look
        like
        > when closed up. If I lay in the bag so that my head is on the
        pillow
        > pocket (and I assume the pillow pocket is supposed to be "inside"
        the
        > bag), and then I tighten the drawstring, the thing closes up
        across
        > my face with almost my whole head inside the bag. Unless I pull it
        > down under my chin which just doesn't work as it feels like
        > strangulation. So I don't use the drawstring, I just have been
        > tucking that down dam thingie around my neck. Hmmm..now I need to
        go
        > lie down in the bag again. Also, when I slept on the ground I used
        > POE Insulmat inside the bag's pad sleeve. It inflates to about 2.5
        > inches (and is great..first time I've had any semblance of comfort
        > sleeping on the ground). In the hammock I used 3/8 inch foam pad
        plus
        > windshield reflector. I noticed that using the inflatable pad
        inside
        > the pad sleeve dramtically changed the fit of the bag, i.e. there
        was
        > much less room inside the bag.
        >

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ptoddf@a... wrote:
        > > Stephanie,
        > >
        > > Good comments on Horsethief, thanks. If you come up with
        anything
        > better for
        > > the neck closure, please post it. I think that removing the
        > pendular neck dam
        > > thing and just rolling the top edge down inside one baffle or
        less
        > might do it
        > > for me. Should make a much better fit and an effective air dam.
        I'm
        > going to
        > > hand stitch it removably and try it. Along with the Finbar hood,
        > which as you
        > > point out, is affordably priced in comparison to high end down
        > models.

      • stephanie
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 27, 2004
          Hi Coy! Thanks for the input. The horse thief has no hood, but
          apparently your head is supposed to still lay inside the bag..I got
          this from one of the BGT reviews, same with the pillow pocket being
          on the inside...I did a google and found one image from
          backpacking.net of a person in the bag....

          http://www.backpacking.net/gear-reviews/horse-thief.jpg

          I'm going to go right now and lay in my bag and see what my problem
          is.

          stephanie

          > Hi Stephanie
          >
          > Just wondering if the pad sleeve with pad inside is what's going
          > on. If the pad keeps the lower side from snugging up like most
          > other sleeping bags I think this may be what is causing the funny
          > fit you describe when you try to adjust the face opening. I am not
          > familiar with the smaller BA bags but the Hog Park I tested for BGT
          > was a lot different than a normal bag on a pad. It kept the hood
          > from snugging around my head. I basically just adjusted it so I
          had
          > a hole to look out of. It felt much different becaus I'm used to a
          > snug fitting hood. I touched on this a little in my Hog Park \
          \
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 27, 2004
            I somehow missed that little detail. big differance LOL. OH well,
            I wish you luck in getting the neck opening to fit. Looking at that
            picture it almost looks like it is a half hood, whatever that is.

            wrote:

            > Hi Coy! Thanks for the input. The horse thief has no hood, but
            > apparently your head is supposed to still lay inside the bag..I
            got
            > this from one of the BGT reviews, same with the pillow pocket
            being
            > on the inside...I did a google and found one image from
            > backpacking.net of a person in the bag....
            >
            > http://www.backpacking.net/gear-reviews/horse-thief.jpg
            >
            > I'm going to go right now and lay in my bag and see what my
            problem
            > is.
            >
            > stephanie

            > > Hi Stephanie
            > >
            > > Just wondering if the pad sleeve with pad inside is what's going
            > > on. If the pad keeps the lower side from snugging up like most
            > > other sleeping bags I think this may be what is causing the
            funny
            > > fit you describe when you try to adjust the face opening. I am
            not
            > > familiar with the smaller BA bags but the Hog Park I tested for
            BGT
            > > was a lot different than a normal bag on a pad. It kept the
            hood
            > > from snugging around my head. I basically just adjusted it so I
            > had
            > > a hole to look out of. It felt much different becaus I'm used
            to a
            > > snug fitting hood. I touched on this a little in my Hog Park \
            > \
          • thecreekfisher
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 28, 2004
              I have had my Horse Thief bag for about 5 months and I had not had
              any problems with the fit. I just cinch the drawcord nice and tight
              under my chin. I suspect that when I am in my bag, I look like the
              person in the photo ;)