Subject: Re:staying warm in Hennessy hammock/Horsethief bag

  • stephanie
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 27, 2004
      Todd,

      What I think I need to do is to get someone else to lay down in the
      Horsethief and use them as a guinea pig so I can't see what is going
      on with that neck area. I can't really tell what is going on to my
      satisfaction when I'm laying in it myself! I read the reviews on BGT
      but to no avail. I just need to see what it is intended to look like
      when closed up. If I lay in the bag so that my head is on the pillow
      pocket (and I assume the pillow pocket is supposed to be "inside" the
      bag), and then I tighten the drawstring, the thing closes up across
      my face with almost my whole head inside the bag. Unless I pull it
      down under my chin which just doesn't work as it feels like
      strangulation. So I don't use the drawstring, I just have been
      tucking that down dam thingie around my neck. Hmmm..now I need to go
      lie down in the bag again. Also, when I slept on the ground I used a
      POE Insulmat inside the bag's pad sleeve. It inflates to about 2.5
      inches (and is great..first time I've had any semblance of comfort
      sleeping on the ground). In the hammock I used 3/8 inch foam pad plus
      windshield reflector. I noticed that using the inflatable pad inside
      the pad sleeve dramtically changed the fit of the bag, i.e. there was
      much less room inside the bag.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ptoddf@a... wrote:
      > Stephanie,
      >
      > Good comments on Horsethief, thanks. If you come up with anything
      better for
      > the neck closure, please post it. I think that removing the
      pendular neck dam
      > thing and just rolling the top edge down inside one baffle or less
      might do it
      > for me. Should make a much better fit and an effective air dam. I'm
      going to
      > hand stitch it removably and try it. Along with the Finbar hood,
      which as you
      > point out, is affordably priced in comparison to high end down
      models.

    • Jackie Lynn Evans
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 27, 2004

        Good evening,

        I researched the BA Horse Thief before buying a WM bag.  I believe I have seen a picture depicting, as well as read, that the pillow sleeve goes on the outside.  I am not quiet sure about this.  Hope this info helps

        Repeat/Jackie

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 27, 2004
          Hi Stephanie

          Just wondering if the pad sleeve with pad inside is what's going
          on. If the pad keeps the lower side from snugging up like most
          other sleeping bags I think this may be what is causing the funny
          fit you describe when you try to adjust the face opening. I am not
          familiar with the smaller BA bags but the Hog Park I tested for BGT
          was a lot different than a normal bag on a pad. It kept the hood
          from snugging around my head. I basically just adjusted it so I had
          a hole to look out of. It felt much different becaus I'm used to a
          snug fitting hood. I touched on this a little in my Hog Park review
          but it may not apply that much to the Horse Thief.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "stephanie" <sswaim63@s...>
          wrote:

          > Todd,
          >
          > What I think I need to do is to get someone else to lay down in
          the
          > Horsethief and use them as a guinea pig so I can't see what is
          going
          > on with that neck area. I can't really tell what is going on to my
          > satisfaction when I'm laying in it myself! I read the reviews on
          BGT
          > but to no avail. I just need to see what it is intended to look
          like
          > when closed up. If I lay in the bag so that my head is on the
          pillow
          > pocket (and I assume the pillow pocket is supposed to be "inside"
          the
          > bag), and then I tighten the drawstring, the thing closes up
          across
          > my face with almost my whole head inside the bag. Unless I pull it
          > down under my chin which just doesn't work as it feels like
          > strangulation. So I don't use the drawstring, I just have been
          > tucking that down dam thingie around my neck. Hmmm..now I need to
          go
          > lie down in the bag again. Also, when I slept on the ground I used
          > POE Insulmat inside the bag's pad sleeve. It inflates to about 2.5
          > inches (and is great..first time I've had any semblance of comfort
          > sleeping on the ground). In the hammock I used 3/8 inch foam pad
          plus
          > windshield reflector. I noticed that using the inflatable pad
          inside
          > the pad sleeve dramtically changed the fit of the bag, i.e. there
          was
          > much less room inside the bag.
          >

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ptoddf@a... wrote:
          > > Stephanie,
          > >
          > > Good comments on Horsethief, thanks. If you come up with
          anything
          > better for
          > > the neck closure, please post it. I think that removing the
          > pendular neck dam
          > > thing and just rolling the top edge down inside one baffle or
          less
          > might do it
          > > for me. Should make a much better fit and an effective air dam.
          I'm
          > going to
          > > hand stitch it removably and try it. Along with the Finbar hood,
          > which as you
          > > point out, is affordably priced in comparison to high end down
          > models.

        • stephanie
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 27, 2004
            Hi Coy! Thanks for the input. The horse thief has no hood, but
            apparently your head is supposed to still lay inside the bag..I got
            this from one of the BGT reviews, same with the pillow pocket being
            on the inside...I did a google and found one image from
            backpacking.net of a person in the bag....

            http://www.backpacking.net/gear-reviews/horse-thief.jpg

            I'm going to go right now and lay in my bag and see what my problem
            is.

            stephanie

            > Hi Stephanie
            >
            > Just wondering if the pad sleeve with pad inside is what's going
            > on. If the pad keeps the lower side from snugging up like most
            > other sleeping bags I think this may be what is causing the funny
            > fit you describe when you try to adjust the face opening. I am not
            > familiar with the smaller BA bags but the Hog Park I tested for BGT
            > was a lot different than a normal bag on a pad. It kept the hood
            > from snugging around my head. I basically just adjusted it so I
            had
            > a hole to look out of. It felt much different becaus I'm used to a
            > snug fitting hood. I touched on this a little in my Hog Park \
            \
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 27, 2004
              I somehow missed that little detail. big differance LOL. OH well,
              I wish you luck in getting the neck opening to fit. Looking at that
              picture it almost looks like it is a half hood, whatever that is.

              wrote:

              > Hi Coy! Thanks for the input. The horse thief has no hood, but
              > apparently your head is supposed to still lay inside the bag..I
              got
              > this from one of the BGT reviews, same with the pillow pocket
              being
              > on the inside...I did a google and found one image from
              > backpacking.net of a person in the bag....
              >
              > http://www.backpacking.net/gear-reviews/horse-thief.jpg
              >
              > I'm going to go right now and lay in my bag and see what my
              problem
              > is.
              >
              > stephanie

              > > Hi Stephanie
              > >
              > > Just wondering if the pad sleeve with pad inside is what's going
              > > on. If the pad keeps the lower side from snugging up like most
              > > other sleeping bags I think this may be what is causing the
              funny
              > > fit you describe when you try to adjust the face opening. I am
              not
              > > familiar with the smaller BA bags but the Hog Park I tested for
              BGT
              > > was a lot different than a normal bag on a pad. It kept the
              hood
              > > from snugging around my head. I basically just adjusted it so I
              > had
              > > a hole to look out of. It felt much different becaus I'm used
              to a
              > > snug fitting hood. I touched on this a little in my Hog Park \
              > \
            • thecreekfisher
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 28, 2004
                I have had my Horse Thief bag for about 5 months and I had not had
                any problems with the fit. I just cinch the drawcord nice and tight
                under my chin. I suspect that when I am in my bag, I look like the
                person in the photo ;)