HH Expl Delux Undercover

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2004
      Hi all,

      For those who may be interested I've just finished an undercover for
      my HH Expl Delux. Photos can be seen in the album titled
      HenExpUncover. While I've only used it in 16-19C min (sorry don't
      know what that is for you northern folk) it has made a huge
      difference to my sleeping conditions. There was a strong sea breeze
      blowing at the time and I tried lying in the HH with and without the
      cover - notice the difference!!

      The undercover was made from a nylon groundsheet and based on Kelli
      Wise's design found in the link section. It could have been slightly
      wider at the head and foot, however I didn't want to play with the
      design and waste material in case I got it wrong. For those that
      need more detailed design features please drop me a line.

      Keep posting folks, love reading the discussion and ideas.

      Cheers

      Greg, Aust
    • Aris Dennis
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2004
        Hi Greg,
        Wow! that looks like a really tight fit against the
        hammock. How many times did you have to take it on and
        off the HH to cut it up before it got to that stage?
        Looks like a lot of work! I take it you're using open
        cell foam in there?
        Well done by the way,
        Aris

        --- Greg <fly_high@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > For those who may be interested I've just finished
        > an undercover for
        > my HH Expl Delux. Photos can be seen in the album
        > titled
        > HenExpUncover. While I've only used it in 16-19C min
        > (sorry don't
        > know what that is for you northern folk) it has made
        > a huge
        > difference to my sleeping conditions. There was a
        > strong sea breeze
        > blowing at the time and I tried lying in the HH with
        > and without the
        > cover - notice the difference!!
        >
        > The undercover was made from a nylon groundsheet and
        > based on Kelli
        > Wise's design found in the link section. It could
        > have been slightly
        > wider at the head and foot, however I didn't want to
        > play with the
        > design and waste material in case I got it wrong.
        > For those that
        > need more detailed design features please drop me a
        > line.
        >
        > Keep posting folks, love reading the discussion and
        > ideas.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Greg, Aust

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Greg Carter
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 28, 2004
          Hi Aris,

          Sometimes you can be lucky. Didn't fit the UC until it was finished. I cut
          it out as per the pattern and sewed it up - perfect fit!.

          Not using any foam at this stage, have been very cosy without any
          insulation. Experimenting with diff types of foam is the next stage of the
          project to see what will work.

          BTW how's your Jacks R Us going (I think that was the underquilt you
          bought)?

          Cheers

          Greg

          > Wow! that looks like a really tight fit against the
          > hammock. How many times did you have to take it on and
          > off the HH to cut it up before it got to that stage?
          > Looks like a lot of work! I take it you're using open
          > cell foam in there?
          > Well done by the way,
          > Aris
          >
          > --- Greg <fly_high@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > For those who may be interested I've just finished
          > > an undercover for
          > > my HH Expl Delux. Photos can be seen in the album
          > > titled
          > > HenExpUncover. While I've only used it in 16-19C min
          > > (sorry don't
          > > know what that is for you northern folk) it has made
          > > a huge
          > > difference to my sleeping conditions. There was a
          > > strong sea breeze
          > > blowing at the time and I tried lying in the HH with
          > > and without the
          > > cover - notice the difference!!
          > >
          > > The undercover was made from a nylon groundsheet and
          > > based on Kelli
          > > Wise's design found in the link section. It could
          > > have been slightly
          > > wider at the head and foot, however I didn't want to
          > > play with the
          > > design and waste material in case I got it wrong.
          > > For those that
          > > need more detailed design features please drop me a
          > > line.
          > >
          > > Keep posting folks, love reading the discussion and
          > > ideas.
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Greg, Aust

        • Aris Dennis
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 28, 2004
            Hi Greg,
            I went on a trip a bit over a week ago in the hope of
            using my underquilt. We were walking along a creek all
            day and didn't come across any sets of trees suitable
            for the hammocks! We even climbed the ridge to look
            for trees- the only suitable ones were on a cliff at
            a 70 degree angle. This might have been a bit
            dangerous if toilet brakes were needed during the
            night!

            So the underquilt has only had backyard testing so
            far. I found the suspension cords were a little short
            for my model, so I bought some longer bungy cord and
            it's all fine now.

            Regarding your undercover- is the groundsheet a
            rectangle with draw cords at each end?

            Aris

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Greg Carter
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 29, 2004
              Hi Aris,

              Thanks for the reply. Yes, could have been interesting going to the toilet at that angle.  I nearly found myself in the same predicament a couple of weeks ago after setting out on a solo trip and discovering that the country I had walked into had all been burnt out. The only place that wasn't was a steep sided rainforest creek. Decided to go a bit further however, and found a flat patch that was untouched. Interesting!

              I've been thinking about some sort of device that you could use for midnight calls of nature in these situations. Perhaps something like "P-P-Pipe" as a marketing name!

              Re the undercover. I've attached the pattern that I used to make it up. The cover started out as a rectangle and only required minimal shaping to fit the pattern. It was destined for the task! At first the ends appeared to be wider than I thought they should, but once I'd inserted some wide elastic and pulled the ends in they fitted very well to the hammock shape. The person who developed the pattern must have done a lot of playing about to get the right shape. I purchased some open cell foam today and will begin experimenting with that.

              Hope you find some trees soon.

              --- Greg Carter <fly_high@...> wrote:

              > Hi Aris,
              >
              > Sometimes you can be lucky. Didn't fit the UC until
              > it was finished. I cut
              > it out as per the pattern and sewed it up - perfect
              > fit!.
              >
              > Not using any foam at this stage, have been very
              > cosy without any
              > insulation. Experimenting with diff types of foam is
              >  the next stage of the
              > project to see what will work.
              >
              > BTW how's your Jacks R Us  going (I think that was
              > the underquilt you
              > bought)?
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Greg

            • Steve Joiner
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 29, 2004
                Hi, Greg - what kind of insulation are you using in your undercover?

                Steve

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
                  Hi Steve,

                  Thanks for the email. First trip I didn't use any insulation with it. Night temps here in Aust at the moment are conducive to using a sleeping bag liner if that. I did find however, that a cool ocean breeze could leave your back/shoulder/butt chilled, so that's where the U/cover came in on its' own. I guess it cut out that convective heat loss and provided some small level of insulation.

                  Since then I've added a piece of 12mm, what they call here, strip foam which is basically cheap open cell foam. I'll see what difference that makes and go from there.

                  Regards

                  Greg

                  --- Greg Carter <fly_high@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Aris,
                  >
                  > Sometimes you can be lucky. Didn't fit the UC until
                  > it was finished. I cut
                  > it out as per the pattern and sewed it up - perfect
                  > fit!.
                  >
                  > Not using any foam at this stage, have been very
                  > cosy without any
                  > insulation. Experimenting with diff types of foam is
                  >  the next stage of the
                  > project to see what will work.
                  >
                  > BTW how's your Jacks R Us  going (I think that was
                  > the underquilt you
                  > bought)?
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Greg

                • john hill

                    --- Greg Carter <fly_high@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Aris,
                    >
                    > Sometimes you can be lucky. Didn't fit the UC until
                    > it was finished. I cut
                    > it out as per the pattern and sewed it up - perfect
                    > fit!.
                    >
                    > Not using any foam at this stage, have been very
                    > cosy without any
                    > insulation. Experimenting with diff types of foam is
                    >  the next stage of the
                    > project to see what will work.
                    >
                    > BTW how's your Jacks R Us  going (I think that was
                    > the underquilt you
                    > bought)?
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Greg