RE: [Hammock Camping]Tnx. Risk

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2004
      > I have done a lot better with the long nights this year than
      > last. I go to bed as early as I feel tired. I read for a
      > while until my eyes will not stay open any longer. I try to
      > accept the night and demonstrate this by refusing to look at my
      > watch either at bed time or anytime in the middle of the night.

      It's not so bad down here. We get at least 11 hours of daylight even on the
      solstice. When I was hiking in Alaska and the Northwest Territories, it was
      really bad.

      > I get up sometimes and stay up to listen to the night or (if
      > alone) to play NA flute to the darkness for a while.

      Oh! I would just love that! Midnight serenade...

      > When I run out of sleepiness sometime early in the morning, if
      > it is not beginning to get light, I pull out my book or journal
      > and work on it for a while. When light can easily be seen, I
      > begin the breakfast and camp chores of the morning.

      I'm a strange animal. I have chronic insomnia in the 'real world'. When
      I'm out in the woods, I can sleep whenever I want to.

      > Sounds nice. Sometimes I have conversations in the winter with
      > the stars of Orion. Rigel and Bellatrix "get into it"
      > sometimes and I break up the arguments, helping them to become
      > good constellation mates again. ;) Or so I imagine as I
      > sleepily look up and remind myself of their names. I suspect
      > that Saiph may not have everyone's best interests at heart and
      > I quiz him on his recent travels and what weapons
      > he might be carrying.

      You're just about as weird as I am. I'm glad.

      It's all just pieces of you.

      Shane