Hi Guys

  • cubixcrayfish
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2004
      I am new here. I will be getting a Hennessy soon. I am so excited, I
      will be so happy to get off the ground.

      I want to use it in January for a cold weather trip. Low's 30's
      prolly. I have read alot about about under-quilts and reflector, but
      they seem time consuming to use for one trip a year, becuase it does
      not get that cold here. I was wondering if there was an easy way.

      I was planning on using my 30 degree lafuma which is 2 lbs and my
      summer lafuma bag around 60 degrees(I usualy use a silk or cloth
      liner, but my new summer bag weight around the same) and I was goign
      to use my therm-a-rest-. Would this be enough to stay warm in low 30's
      or upper 20's?

      -Cubix
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 25, 2004
        cubixcrayfish wrote:

        >I am new here. I will be getting a Hennessy soon. I am so excited, I
        >will be so happy to get off the ground.
        >

        >I want to use it in January for a cold weather trip. Low's 30's
        >prolly. I have read alot about about under-quilts and reflector, but
        >they seem time consuming to use for one trip a year, becuase it does
        >not get that cold here. I was wondering if there was an easy way.
        >
        >I was planning on using my 30 degree lafuma which is 2 lbs and my
        >summer lafuma bag around 60 degrees(I usualy use a silk or cloth
        >liner, but my new summer bag weight around the same) and I was goign
        >to use my therm-a-rest-. Would this be enough to stay warm in low 30's
        >or upper 20's?
        >
        >-Cubix

        Hi Cubix,

        It would not be warm enough for me. The bag is almost no protection
        from cold that seeps into my back from below. The Thermarest gives
        pretty good protection down to about 40, but is nearly impossible to
        keep under me because it keeps squirting out.

        Before trying to do a 30 degree night, I would:
        - Practice someplace with the ability to come back inside
        and/or
        - Be prepared to "escape to the ground" if it gets too cold

        I would also either purchase one of the under-insulation systems
        (JacksRBetter or Hennessey) or build a Garlington Insulator. The GI is
        the lightest of the options. It may fit into your "simpler way" that is
        mentioned in your note.

        http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington%20Insulator/GIoriginal.htm

        A closed cell pad, like those sold at Walmart that look like egg crate
        is a lot stickier under me in the hammock (does not slip out) and might
        be a good thing to use all year until the nighttime low reaches 75 F.

        One of the cold weather lessons it took me the longest to understand was
        the importance of wind and temperature. A year ago in November, I slept
        a very cold night huddled in my hammock against the cold. I had every
        stitch of clothing on and still woke continuiously with chills. I knew
        it must be 30 degrees outside, but it really was only 40. Instead of
        cold, there was a 10 MPH wind all night long in the campsite I chose. I
        came home from that trip and knew I needed to do something different.
        My solution (TravelPod) works for another kind of hammock - the Speer
        Hammock.

        Cold weather sleeping in a hammock is not as simple as it sounds. Be
        safe and have fun.

        Risk