Re: was snake skins (now Supershelter)

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 2004
      Thanks for the encouragement Rosaleen. Your understanding of the
      system is correct. The open cell foam is just a starting point and
      I'm confident adding more isulation is the ticket, however, I wanted
      to see how low the items included in the Supershelter would take me
      by themselves before I start adding other stuff. So far the only
      insulation I have used is the Underpad it came with. I'm do normally
      carry a space blanket with me so I'm going to add that next and see
      what temps that combo takes me too.

      jamie in az

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
      > Jamie-
      >
      > What are you using for foam/insulation? If I understand the
      design, the foam
      > pad that comes with the Supershelter is just a starting point, and
      the user
      > needs to add more insulation to meet his/her needs and the
      prevailing
      > conditions.
      >
      > We received about 5.5 of the predicted 4 inches of snow here
      overnight last
      > Friday. Temp was about 28 F when I crawled into my hammock. With
      the supplied
      > open cell foam pad topped by a mylar blanket, I was very cold. I
      added a
      > foam/mylar windshield reflector and was still cold, so I added part
      of an old
      > (but wide) closed cell pad and a ThinLite pad from Gossamer Gear.
      Wearing a
      > fleece hooded top and fleece pants, and topped with my Nunatak Back
      Country