RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Isle Royale trip

  • Chet Clocksin
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2004
      We're pretty low-tech, but our set-up worked very well. We all made double bottom hammocks (2 layers of 1.1 oz ripstop), and use a 3/8 thick closed cell foam pad approximately 40 x 36 in between the layers. We also throw a space blanket in between the layers to act as a wind break, and sometimes tuck our rain gear in there too. I didn't need to on this trip, but If it gets much below 40, I'll fashion my sleeping bag over the hammock as a peapod and sleep in a most of my layers. We all used sleeping bags rated to 20 or 25  degrees, and slept in them rather than using them as a quilt.

      Chet