Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock City

  • Mike Jenkins
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
      I second this... Wood Badge is one of the best scouting experiences
      I've had. It is also a great leadership training course that offers
      practical experience in business and life.

      I used my Hennessey Hammock during Wood Badge. Between the first and
      second outing, two more in my patrol bought hammocks.

      Mike
      "I used to be a bear..."

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, jonas4321@j... wrote:
      > "I used to be an Eagle" is part of a song called "Back to Gilwell",
      which
      > is sung by Scouters that have taken (or are taking!) the BSA Wood
      Badge
      > training course. Eagle is one of the Patrols that participants might
      > belong to as they take the course. It does not refer to the rank of
      > Eagle.
      >
      > Other Patrol names are Antelope (Ralph is one of those, they are
      somewhat
      > rare), Fox (Steve Joiner is one of them), Owl, Beaver, Bobwhite,
      Buffalo,
      > Bear, and Eagle (that's me!). We affectionately refer to these as
      > "critters". "I used to be..." is a catch-phrase we use as Wood
      Badgers-
      > it always brings a smile.
      >
      > Wood Badge is an advanced leader training course for all Scouting
      leaders
      > (Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Exploring, Venturing, Council, etc.) and it
      > focuses on team building and leadership. It usually is a very
      significant
      > and heart-felt experience for those that take the course (or staff
      it, as
      > I have been fortunate enough to do several times). It is also
      extremely
      > helpful training, not just in being a Scout leader, but at work and
      in
      > life, too.
      >
      > I never even was a Boy Scout- I dropped out at the Webelos rank in
      Cub
      > Scouting (as did my brother- we got bored!), but my son is an
      Eagle, and

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
        Good Woodbadge description Jonas.

        Lots of Woodbadgers here...

        "I used to be a fox..."

        -Paul

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
          Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
          reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
          when you can't really sing.

          Ralph

        • jonas4321@juno.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
            Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
            and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
            and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
            and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
            later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
            them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
            song work!

            Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
            <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...

            hehehe

            On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>
            writes:

            > Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
            > reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
            > when you can't really sing.
            >
            > Ralph

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
              The first time I was on staff I was thrilled there was another
              antelope, but he sang even worse than I did. it was so bad we would
              have "guest" lopes join us.

              Do we need to split this off to another group?

              hammock scouters?

              Ralph

              On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 00:58:19 -0500, jonas4321@...
              <jonas4321@...> wrote:

              > Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
              > and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
              > and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
              > and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
              > later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
              > them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
              > song work!
              >
              > Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
              > <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...
              >
              > hehehe
              >
              > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>

            • Dylan Anderson
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                Oh, ok I did not catch on to it as a line out of the
                song because I caught it out of context with the
                others. I saw the capitalization of the work in the
                simpler context of scouting, and assumed the rank was
                ment. I appologize.

                =====

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • jonas4321@juno.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                  Gee, you gave me an opportunity to speak (type) about something that
                  means a great deal to me. No apologies needed! Thanks for asking.