Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock City

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
      "I used to be an Eagle" is part of a song called "Back to Gilwell", which
      is sung by Scouters that have taken (or are taking!) the BSA Wood Badge
      training course. Eagle is one of the Patrols that participants might
      belong to as they take the course. It does not refer to the rank of
      Eagle.

      Other Patrol names are Antelope (Ralph is one of those, they are somewhat
      rare), Fox (Steve Joiner is one of them), Owl, Beaver, Bobwhite, Buffalo,
      Bear, and Eagle (that's me!). We affectionately refer to these as
      "critters". "I used to be..." is a catch-phrase we use as Wood Badgers-
      it always brings a smile.

      Wood Badge is an advanced leader training course for all Scouting leaders
      (Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Exploring, Venturing, Council, etc.) and it
      focuses on team building and leadership. It usually is a very significant
      and heart-felt experience for those that take the course (or staff it, as
      I have been fortunate enough to do several times). It is also extremely
      helpful training, not just in being a Scout leader, but at work and in
      life, too.

      I never even was a Boy Scout- I dropped out at the Webelos rank in Cub
      Scouting (as did my brother- we got bored!), but my son is an Eagle, and
      I know what you mean by Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle!

      Jonas

      On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:02:31 -0800 (PST) Dylan Anderson <hum469@...>
      writes:

      > Our troop gets our lashing poles from similar sources
      > as well. But the scope in that picture is quite
      > something. Talk about a lot of knots! Oh, but
      > Jonas4321, what's with this?
      >
      > --- jonas4321@... wrote:
      > >
      > > "I used to be an Eagle..."
      >
      > Remember, once an Eagle, always an Eagle. It's the
      > only rank you are allowed to carry into adulthood.
      > There is no former....
      >
      > =====
      > Though I may die tomorrow, at least I can do it with the knowledge
      > that once I did know true love -unknown

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Mike Jenkins
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
        I second this... Wood Badge is one of the best scouting experiences
        I've had. It is also a great leadership training course that offers
        practical experience in business and life.

        I used my Hennessey Hammock during Wood Badge. Between the first and
        second outing, two more in my patrol bought hammocks.

        Mike
        "I used to be a bear..."

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
          Good Woodbadge description Jonas.

          Lots of Woodbadgers here...

          "I used to be a fox..."

          -Paul

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
            Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
            reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
            when you can't really sing.

            Ralph

          • jonas4321@juno.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
              Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
              and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
              and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
              and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
              later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
              them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
              song work!

              Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
              <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...

              hehehe

              On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>
              writes:

              > Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
              > reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
              > when you can't really sing.
              >
              > Ralph

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                The first time I was on staff I was thrilled there was another
                antelope, but he sang even worse than I did. it was so bad we would
                have "guest" lopes join us.

                Do we need to split this off to another group?

                hammock scouters?

                Ralph

                On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 00:58:19 -0500, jonas4321@...
                <jonas4321@...> wrote:

                > Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
                > and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
                > and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
                > and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
                > later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
                > them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
                > song work!
                >
                > Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
                > <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...
                >
                > hehehe
                >
                > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>

              • Dylan Anderson
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                  Oh, ok I did not catch on to it as a line out of the
                  song because I caught it out of context with the
                  others. I saw the capitalization of the work in the
                  simpler context of scouting, and assumed the rank was
                  ment. I appologize.

                  =====

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • jonas4321@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                    Gee, you gave me an opportunity to speak (type) about something that
                    means a great deal to me. No apologies needed! Thanks for asking.