Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock City

  • Clifford R. Haynes
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
      The photo looks a lot like a camporee photo (which means the poles were transported in). Even if it isn't, and is just a troop campout and the poles were cut on site (with permission), I'd bet dollars to donuts they will be saved for future use. LNT is sort of a silly term to begin with. After all the production of the raw materials in all of the camping gear we use left a trace somewhere.
      Rocky
    • Dylan Anderson
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
        Our troop gets our lashing poles from similar sources
        as well. But the scope in that picture is quite
        something. Talk about a lot of knots! Oh, but
        Jonas4321, what's with this?

        --- jonas4321@... wrote:

        > "I used to be an Eagle..."

        Remember, once an Eagle, always an Eagle. It's the
        only rank you are allowed to carry into adulthood.
        There is no former....

        =====

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • jonas4321@juno.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
          "I used to be an Eagle" is part of a song called "Back to Gilwell", which
          is sung by Scouters that have taken (or are taking!) the BSA Wood Badge
          training course. Eagle is one of the Patrols that participants might
          belong to as they take the course. It does not refer to the rank of
          Eagle.

          Other Patrol names are Antelope (Ralph is one of those, they are somewhat
          rare), Fox (Steve Joiner is one of them), Owl, Beaver, Bobwhite, Buffalo,
          Bear, and Eagle (that's me!). We affectionately refer to these as
          "critters". "I used to be..." is a catch-phrase we use as Wood Badgers-
          it always brings a smile.

          Wood Badge is an advanced leader training course for all Scouting leaders
          (Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Exploring, Venturing, Council, etc.) and it
          focuses on team building and leadership. It usually is a very significant
          and heart-felt experience for those that take the course (or staff it, as
          I have been fortunate enough to do several times). It is also extremely
          helpful training, not just in being a Scout leader, but at work and in
          life, too.

          I never even was a Boy Scout- I dropped out at the Webelos rank in Cub
          Scouting (as did my brother- we got bored!), but my son is an Eagle, and
          I know what you mean by Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle!

          Jonas

          On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:02:31 -0800 (PST) Dylan Anderson <hum469@...>
          writes:

          > Our troop gets our lashing poles from similar sources
          > as well. But the scope in that picture is quite
          > something. Talk about a lot of knots! Oh, but
          > Jonas4321, what's with this?
          >
          > --- jonas4321@... wrote:
          > >
          > > "I used to be an Eagle..."
          >
          > Remember, once an Eagle, always an Eagle. It's the
          > only rank you are allowed to carry into adulthood.
          > There is no former....
          >
          > =====
          > Though I may die tomorrow, at least I can do it with the knowledge
          > that once I did know true love -unknown

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Mike Jenkins
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
            I second this... Wood Badge is one of the best scouting experiences
            I've had. It is also a great leadership training course that offers
            practical experience in business and life.

            I used my Hennessey Hammock during Wood Badge. Between the first and
            second outing, two more in my patrol bought hammocks.

            Mike
            "I used to be a bear..."

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
              Good Woodbadge description Jonas.

              Lots of Woodbadgers here...

              "I used to be a fox..."

              -Paul

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
                reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
                when you can't really sing.

                Ralph

              • jonas4321@juno.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                  Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
                  and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
                  and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
                  and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
                  later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
                  them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
                  song work!

                  Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
                  <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...

                  hehehe

                  On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>
                  writes:

                  > Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
                  > reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
                  > when you can't really sing.
                  >
                  > Ralph

                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                    The first time I was on staff I was thrilled there was another
                    antelope, but he sang even worse than I did. it was so bad we would
                    have "guest" lopes join us.

                    Do we need to split this off to another group?

                    hammock scouters?

                    Ralph

                    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 00:58:19 -0500, jonas4321@...
                    <jonas4321@...> wrote:

                    > Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
                    > and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
                    > and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
                    > and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
                    > later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
                    > them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
                    > song work!
                    >
                    > Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
                    > <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...
                    >
                    > hehehe
                    >
                    > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>

                  • Dylan Anderson
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                      Oh, ok I did not catch on to it as a line out of the
                      song because I caught it out of context with the
                      others. I saw the capitalization of the work in the
                      simpler context of scouting, and assumed the rank was
                      ment. I appologize.

                      =====

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • jonas4321@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                        Gee, you gave me an opportunity to speak (type) about something that
                        means a great deal to me. No apologies needed! Thanks for asking.