Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock City

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
      Hi Ralph, The runners will get a wide piece of
      (UHMWPE) "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene "
      2" wide and attached to the current runners. It is
      on a list of things to do before we get our first
      snow. Someone from Canada saw a picture of the sled
      and suggested the UHMWPE. They use a lot of it up
      there and there is a company that makes sleds out of
      it. http://www.northensledworks.com/index.html

      A local sign materials shop here sells it so it is
      easy to get and doesn't cost much. They will even cut
      it anyway I want it for free. I think you could make
      a hammock out of this stuff
      (1/8" thick) as it has some flex and can be rolled up.
      Maybe a double - hammock. It would be heavier than
      ripstop but for car camping or where weight is no
      factor it might work.

      Bill in Texas - and yes we do get snow here in San
      Antonio - in 1985? and 1986? we got a lot and everyone
      went crazy.

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
        URL Correction:

        > Hi Ralph, The runners will get a wide piece of
        > (UHMWPE) "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene "
        > 2" wide and attached to the current runners. It is
        > on a list of things to do before we get our first
        > snow. Someone from Canada saw a picture of the sled
        > and suggested the UHMWPE. They use a lot of it up
        > there and there is a company that makes sleds out of
        it.

        http://www.northernsledworks.com/index.html

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • Clifford R. Haynes
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
          The photo looks a lot like a camporee photo (which means the poles were transported in). Even if it isn't, and is just a troop campout and the poles were cut on site (with permission), I'd bet dollars to donuts they will be saved for future use. LNT is sort of a silly term to begin with. After all the production of the raw materials in all of the camping gear we use left a trace somewhere.
          Rocky
        • Dylan Anderson
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
            Our troop gets our lashing poles from similar sources
            as well. But the scope in that picture is quite
            something. Talk about a lot of knots! Oh, but
            Jonas4321, what's with this?

            --- jonas4321@... wrote:

            > "I used to be an Eagle..."

            Remember, once an Eagle, always an Eagle. It's the
            only rank you are allowed to carry into adulthood.
            There is no former....

            =====

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • jonas4321@juno.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
              "I used to be an Eagle" is part of a song called "Back to Gilwell", which
              is sung by Scouters that have taken (or are taking!) the BSA Wood Badge
              training course. Eagle is one of the Patrols that participants might
              belong to as they take the course. It does not refer to the rank of
              Eagle.

              Other Patrol names are Antelope (Ralph is one of those, they are somewhat
              rare), Fox (Steve Joiner is one of them), Owl, Beaver, Bobwhite, Buffalo,
              Bear, and Eagle (that's me!). We affectionately refer to these as
              "critters". "I used to be..." is a catch-phrase we use as Wood Badgers-
              it always brings a smile.

              Wood Badge is an advanced leader training course for all Scouting leaders
              (Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Exploring, Venturing, Council, etc.) and it
              focuses on team building and leadership. It usually is a very significant
              and heart-felt experience for those that take the course (or staff it, as
              I have been fortunate enough to do several times). It is also extremely
              helpful training, not just in being a Scout leader, but at work and in
              life, too.

              I never even was a Boy Scout- I dropped out at the Webelos rank in Cub
              Scouting (as did my brother- we got bored!), but my son is an Eagle, and
              I know what you mean by Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle!

              Jonas

              On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:02:31 -0800 (PST) Dylan Anderson <hum469@...>
              writes:

              > Our troop gets our lashing poles from similar sources
              > as well. But the scope in that picture is quite
              > something. Talk about a lot of knots! Oh, but
              > Jonas4321, what's with this?
              >
              > --- jonas4321@... wrote:
              > >
              > > "I used to be an Eagle..."
              >
              > Remember, once an Eagle, always an Eagle. It's the
              > only rank you are allowed to carry into adulthood.
              > There is no former....
              >
              > =====
              > Though I may die tomorrow, at least I can do it with the knowledge
              > that once I did know true love -unknown

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Mike Jenkins
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                I second this... Wood Badge is one of the best scouting experiences
                I've had. It is also a great leadership training course that offers
                practical experience in business and life.

                I used my Hennessey Hammock during Wood Badge. Between the first and
                second outing, two more in my patrol bought hammocks.

                Mike
                "I used to be a bear..."

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                  Good Woodbadge description Jonas.

                  Lots of Woodbadgers here...

                  "I used to be a fox..."

                  -Paul

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                    Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
                    reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
                    when you can't really sing.

                    Ralph

                  • jonas4321@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                      Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
                      and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
                      and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
                      and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
                      later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
                      them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
                      song work!

                      Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
                      <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...

                      hehehe

                      On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>
                      writes:

                      > Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
                      > reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
                      > when you can't really sing.
                      >
                      > Ralph

                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                        The first time I was on staff I was thrilled there was another
                        antelope, but he sang even worse than I did. it was so bad we would
                        have "guest" lopes join us.

                        Do we need to split this off to another group?

                        hammock scouters?

                        Ralph

                        On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 00:58:19 -0500, jonas4321@...
                        <jonas4321@...> wrote:

                        > Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
                        > and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
                        > and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
                        > and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
                        > later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
                        > them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
                        > song work!
                        >
                        > Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
                        > <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...
                        >
                        > hehehe
                        >
                        > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>

                      • Dylan Anderson
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                          Oh, ok I did not catch on to it as a line out of the
                          song because I caught it out of context with the
                          others. I saw the capitalization of the work in the
                          simpler context of scouting, and assumed the rank was
                          ment. I appologize.

                          =====

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • jonas4321@juno.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                            Gee, you gave me an opportunity to speak (type) about something that
                            means a great deal to me. No apologies needed! Thanks for asking.