Re: RE: [Hammock Camping] Hammock City

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
      Water balloons leave litter, choking hazard, use a wet sponge, easier
      to find the pieces.

      Ralph

      On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 9:07:26 -0500, tjarrell@... <tjarrell@...> wrote:

      > Ralph,
      > Insert either 'water balloon' or 'rubber ball' and FIRE!!
      >
      > Tom in Virginia Beach, VA where snow is rare.
      >
      > From: "Steve Joiner" <joiners@...>
      > Date: 2004/11/05 Fri AM 12:48:40 EST
      > To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: RE: [Hammock Camping] Hammock City
      >

      > Looks great, Ralph!! Not sure we'll have much opportunity to use anything
      > with 'snowball' in the name here in GA this winter!
      >
      > Steve

    • Dick Matthews
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
        I do not know the specifics of the the hammock city.  Most of the poles appear to be maple.

        Years ago on the farm we had about an acre grove of black locusts that were used for fence posts and stove wood.  When I was a boy scout we cut poles about double fence post length and used them for the pioneering.  After a couple of months we cut them to post length and racked them to cure.

        We also sold Christmas trees commercially.  For marginal soil sometimes trees are a great cash crop.

        Dick Matthews

        cp5655 wrote:
        I don't know the specifics of this situation, but knowing that BSA
        endorses Leave No Trace, I would imagine the "trees" were cut down for
        some other purpose (thinning?) and saved for various activities
        related to the Pioneering merit badge. That's the one that uses ropes
        and timbers to construct towers, furniture and other stuff.

        I won't say that it's impossible that someone cut the trees down just
        to make the "tent city", but it's very unlikely.

        Pete

        they thought it was "leave no trees" camping...

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, navjohn@a... wrote:

        In a message dated 11/4/04 12:20:57 PM, k4mnj@i... writes:

        http://www.scouttroop.org/oh/bsa/476/

        Well, so much for leave-no-trace camping.

      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
          Hi Ralph, The runners will get a wide piece of
          (UHMWPE) "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene "
          2" wide and attached to the current runners. It is
          on a list of things to do before we get our first
          snow. Someone from Canada saw a picture of the sled
          and suggested the UHMWPE. They use a lot of it up
          there and there is a company that makes sleds out of
          it. http://www.northensledworks.com/index.html

          A local sign materials shop here sells it so it is
          easy to get and doesn't cost much. They will even cut
          it anyway I want it for free. I think you could make
          a hammock out of this stuff
          (1/8" thick) as it has some flex and can be rolled up.
          Maybe a double - hammock. It would be heavier than
          ripstop but for car camping or where weight is no
          factor it might work.

          Bill in Texas - and yes we do get snow here in San
          Antonio - in 1985? and 1986? we got a lot and everyone
          went crazy.

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
            URL Correction:

            > Hi Ralph, The runners will get a wide piece of
            > (UHMWPE) "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene "
            > 2" wide and attached to the current runners. It is
            > on a list of things to do before we get our first
            > snow. Someone from Canada saw a picture of the sled
            > and suggested the UHMWPE. They use a lot of it up
            > there and there is a company that makes sleds out of
            it.

            http://www.northernsledworks.com/index.html

            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            www.yahoo.com
          • Clifford R. Haynes
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
              The photo looks a lot like a camporee photo (which means the poles were transported in). Even if it isn't, and is just a troop campout and the poles were cut on site (with permission), I'd bet dollars to donuts they will be saved for future use. LNT is sort of a silly term to begin with. After all the production of the raw materials in all of the camping gear we use left a trace somewhere.
              Rocky
            • Dylan Anderson
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                Our troop gets our lashing poles from similar sources
                as well. But the scope in that picture is quite
                something. Talk about a lot of knots! Oh, but
                Jonas4321, what's with this?

                --- jonas4321@... wrote:

                > "I used to be an Eagle..."

                Remember, once an Eagle, always an Eagle. It's the
                only rank you are allowed to carry into adulthood.
                There is no former....

                =====

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • jonas4321@juno.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                  "I used to be an Eagle" is part of a song called "Back to Gilwell", which
                  is sung by Scouters that have taken (or are taking!) the BSA Wood Badge
                  training course. Eagle is one of the Patrols that participants might
                  belong to as they take the course. It does not refer to the rank of
                  Eagle.

                  Other Patrol names are Antelope (Ralph is one of those, they are somewhat
                  rare), Fox (Steve Joiner is one of them), Owl, Beaver, Bobwhite, Buffalo,
                  Bear, and Eagle (that's me!). We affectionately refer to these as
                  "critters". "I used to be..." is a catch-phrase we use as Wood Badgers-
                  it always brings a smile.

                  Wood Badge is an advanced leader training course for all Scouting leaders
                  (Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Exploring, Venturing, Council, etc.) and it
                  focuses on team building and leadership. It usually is a very significant
                  and heart-felt experience for those that take the course (or staff it, as
                  I have been fortunate enough to do several times). It is also extremely
                  helpful training, not just in being a Scout leader, but at work and in
                  life, too.

                  I never even was a Boy Scout- I dropped out at the Webelos rank in Cub
                  Scouting (as did my brother- we got bored!), but my son is an Eagle, and
                  I know what you mean by Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle!

                  Jonas

                  On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:02:31 -0800 (PST) Dylan Anderson <hum469@...>
                  writes:

                  > Our troop gets our lashing poles from similar sources
                  > as well. But the scope in that picture is quite
                  > something. Talk about a lot of knots! Oh, but
                  > Jonas4321, what's with this?
                  >
                  > --- jonas4321@... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > "I used to be an Eagle..."
                  >
                  > Remember, once an Eagle, always an Eagle. It's the
                  > only rank you are allowed to carry into adulthood.
                  > There is no former....
                  >
                  > =====
                  > Though I may die tomorrow, at least I can do it with the knowledge
                  > that once I did know true love -unknown

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Mike Jenkins
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                    I second this... Wood Badge is one of the best scouting experiences
                    I've had. It is also a great leadership training course that offers
                    practical experience in business and life.

                    I used my Hennessey Hammock during Wood Badge. Between the first and
                    second outing, two more in my patrol bought hammocks.

                    Mike
                    "I used to be a bear..."

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                      Good Woodbadge description Jonas.

                      Lots of Woodbadgers here...

                      "I used to be a fox..."

                      -Paul

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                        Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
                        reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
                        when you can't really sing.

                        Ralph

                      • jonas4321@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                          Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
                          and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
                          and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
                          and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
                          later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
                          them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
                          song work!

                          Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
                          <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...

                          hehehe

                          On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>
                          writes:

                          > Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
                          > reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
                          > when you can't really sing.
                          >
                          > Ralph

                        • Ralph Oborn
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                            The first time I was on staff I was thrilled there was another
                            antelope, but he sang even worse than I did. it was so bad we would
                            have "guest" lopes join us.

                            Do we need to split this off to another group?

                            hammock scouters?

                            Ralph

                            On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 00:58:19 -0500, jonas4321@...
                            <jonas4321@...> wrote:

                            > Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
                            > and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
                            > and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
                            > and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
                            > later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
                            > them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
                            > song work!
                            >
                            > Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
                            > <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...
                            >
                            > hehehe
                            >
                            > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>

                          • Dylan Anderson
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                              Oh, ok I did not catch on to it as a line out of the
                              song because I caught it out of context with the
                              others. I saw the capitalization of the work in the
                              simpler context of scouting, and assumed the rank was
                              ment. I appologize.

                              =====

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • jonas4321@juno.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                                Gee, you gave me an opportunity to speak (type) about something that
                                means a great deal to me. No apologies needed! Thanks for asking.