Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock City

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
      Yup, I've been pondering your design since I first saw it almost a year ago.
      For our deeper snows I think the runners would sink in to much, might
      have to use a sheet of stiff plastic to "float" on the powder. Or use
      a kids plastic sled as the frame.

      Cross fertilization of ideas is neat, Hammock inside a snow shelter is
      a real challenge

      Ralph

      On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:44:26 -0800 (PST), Bill Fornshell
      <bfornshell@...> wrote:
      > Hi Ralph, I really like that web site. If you click
      > on the "How to Build Sleds" link and then look for the
      > "Ben Hunt's Packrack Sled' I made that one out of
      > Aluminum to carry my Hammock when I go winter hiking.
      >
      > Bill in Texas

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
        Water balloons leave litter, choking hazard, use a wet sponge, easier
        to find the pieces.

        Ralph

        On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 9:07:26 -0500, tjarrell@... <tjarrell@...> wrote:

        > Ralph,
        > Insert either 'water balloon' or 'rubber ball' and FIRE!!
        >
        > Tom in Virginia Beach, VA where snow is rare.
        >
        > From: "Steve Joiner" <joiners@...>
        > Date: 2004/11/05 Fri AM 12:48:40 EST
        > To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: RE: [Hammock Camping] Hammock City
        >

        > Looks great, Ralph!! Not sure we'll have much opportunity to use anything
        > with 'snowball' in the name here in GA this winter!
        >
        > Steve

      • Dick Matthews
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
          I do not know the specifics of the the hammock city.  Most of the poles appear to be maple.

          Years ago on the farm we had about an acre grove of black locusts that were used for fence posts and stove wood.  When I was a boy scout we cut poles about double fence post length and used them for the pioneering.  After a couple of months we cut them to post length and racked them to cure.

          We also sold Christmas trees commercially.  For marginal soil sometimes trees are a great cash crop.

          Dick Matthews

          cp5655 wrote:
          I don't know the specifics of this situation, but knowing that BSA
          endorses Leave No Trace, I would imagine the "trees" were cut down for
          some other purpose (thinning?) and saved for various activities
          related to the Pioneering merit badge. That's the one that uses ropes
          and timbers to construct towers, furniture and other stuff.

          I won't say that it's impossible that someone cut the trees down just
          to make the "tent city", but it's very unlikely.

          Pete

          they thought it was "leave no trees" camping...

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, navjohn@a... wrote:

          In a message dated 11/4/04 12:20:57 PM, k4mnj@i... writes:

          http://www.scouttroop.org/oh/bsa/476/

          Well, so much for leave-no-trace camping.

        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
            Hi Ralph, The runners will get a wide piece of
            (UHMWPE) "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene "
            2" wide and attached to the current runners. It is
            on a list of things to do before we get our first
            snow. Someone from Canada saw a picture of the sled
            and suggested the UHMWPE. They use a lot of it up
            there and there is a company that makes sleds out of
            it. http://www.northensledworks.com/index.html

            A local sign materials shop here sells it so it is
            easy to get and doesn't cost much. They will even cut
            it anyway I want it for free. I think you could make
            a hammock out of this stuff
            (1/8" thick) as it has some flex and can be rolled up.
            Maybe a double - hammock. It would be heavier than
            ripstop but for car camping or where weight is no
            factor it might work.

            Bill in Texas - and yes we do get snow here in San
            Antonio - in 1985? and 1986? we got a lot and everyone
            went crazy.

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
              URL Correction:

              > Hi Ralph, The runners will get a wide piece of
              > (UHMWPE) "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene "
              > 2" wide and attached to the current runners. It is
              > on a list of things to do before we get our first
              > snow. Someone from Canada saw a picture of the sled
              > and suggested the UHMWPE. They use a lot of it up
              > there and there is a company that makes sleds out of
              it.

              http://www.northernsledworks.com/index.html

              Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
              www.yahoo.com
            • Clifford R. Haynes
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                The photo looks a lot like a camporee photo (which means the poles were transported in). Even if it isn't, and is just a troop campout and the poles were cut on site (with permission), I'd bet dollars to donuts they will be saved for future use. LNT is sort of a silly term to begin with. After all the production of the raw materials in all of the camping gear we use left a trace somewhere.
                Rocky
              • Dylan Anderson
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                  Our troop gets our lashing poles from similar sources
                  as well. But the scope in that picture is quite
                  something. Talk about a lot of knots! Oh, but
                  Jonas4321, what's with this?

                  --- jonas4321@... wrote:

                  > "I used to be an Eagle..."

                  Remember, once an Eagle, always an Eagle. It's the
                  only rank you are allowed to carry into adulthood.
                  There is no former....

                  =====

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • jonas4321@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                    "I used to be an Eagle" is part of a song called "Back to Gilwell", which
                    is sung by Scouters that have taken (or are taking!) the BSA Wood Badge
                    training course. Eagle is one of the Patrols that participants might
                    belong to as they take the course. It does not refer to the rank of
                    Eagle.

                    Other Patrol names are Antelope (Ralph is one of those, they are somewhat
                    rare), Fox (Steve Joiner is one of them), Owl, Beaver, Bobwhite, Buffalo,
                    Bear, and Eagle (that's me!). We affectionately refer to these as
                    "critters". "I used to be..." is a catch-phrase we use as Wood Badgers-
                    it always brings a smile.

                    Wood Badge is an advanced leader training course for all Scouting leaders
                    (Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Exploring, Venturing, Council, etc.) and it
                    focuses on team building and leadership. It usually is a very significant
                    and heart-felt experience for those that take the course (or staff it, as
                    I have been fortunate enough to do several times). It is also extremely
                    helpful training, not just in being a Scout leader, but at work and in
                    life, too.

                    I never even was a Boy Scout- I dropped out at the Webelos rank in Cub
                    Scouting (as did my brother- we got bored!), but my son is an Eagle, and
                    I know what you mean by Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle!

                    Jonas

                    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:02:31 -0800 (PST) Dylan Anderson <hum469@...>
                    writes:

                    > Our troop gets our lashing poles from similar sources
                    > as well. But the scope in that picture is quite
                    > something. Talk about a lot of knots! Oh, but
                    > Jonas4321, what's with this?
                    >
                    > --- jonas4321@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > "I used to be an Eagle..."
                    >
                    > Remember, once an Eagle, always an Eagle. It's the
                    > only rank you are allowed to carry into adulthood.
                    > There is no former....
                    >
                    > =====
                    > Though I may die tomorrow, at least I can do it with the knowledge
                    > that once I did know true love -unknown

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Mike Jenkins
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                      I second this... Wood Badge is one of the best scouting experiences
                      I've had. It is also a great leadership training course that offers
                      practical experience in business and life.

                      I used my Hennessey Hammock during Wood Badge. Between the first and
                      second outing, two more in my patrol bought hammocks.

                      Mike
                      "I used to be a bear..."

                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                        Good Woodbadge description Jonas.

                        Lots of Woodbadgers here...

                        "I used to be a fox..."

                        -Paul

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Ralph Oborn
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                          Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
                          reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
                          when you can't really sing.

                          Ralph

                        • jonas4321@juno.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                            Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
                            and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
                            and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
                            and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
                            later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
                            them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
                            song work!

                            Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
                            <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...

                            hehehe

                            On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>
                            writes:

                            > Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
                            > reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
                            > when you can't really sing.
                            >
                            > Ralph

                          • Ralph Oborn
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                              The first time I was on staff I was thrilled there was another
                              antelope, but he sang even worse than I did. it was so bad we would
                              have "guest" lopes join us.

                              Do we need to split this off to another group?

                              hammock scouters?

                              Ralph

                              On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 00:58:19 -0500, jonas4321@...
                              <jonas4321@...> wrote:

                              > Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
                              > and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
                              > and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
                              > and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
                              > later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
                              > them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
                              > song work!
                              >
                              > Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
                              > <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...
                              >
                              > hehehe
                              >
                              > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>

                            • Dylan Anderson
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                                Oh, ok I did not catch on to it as a line out of the
                                song because I caught it out of context with the
                                others. I saw the capitalization of the work in the
                                simpler context of scouting, and assumed the rank was
                                ment. I appologize.

                                =====

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • jonas4321@juno.com
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                                  Gee, you gave me an opportunity to speak (type) about something that
                                  means a great deal to me. No apologies needed! Thanks for asking.