Re: [Hammock Camping] wild idea

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2004
      I have a friend here in Idaho who takes a refrigerator box out on the
      lake and sleeps in that!

      Insulation, wind break, low cost.

      Usually when I do my slit trench, I like to covwer it over with tarp
      and snow to insulate. On other occasions I have built a partial igloo
      up and over the slit trench. If the snow is right, save the blocks as
      you cut them out, stack and cover the slit.

      One concern I would consider is the snow is usully not as deep right
      around a tree or between two trees.

      Please let me know how it goes. I'm in charge of a Klondike in January.

      Ralph I used to be an antelopeee

      Ralph Oborn

      On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:32:49 -0500, jonas4321@...
      <jonas4321@...> wrote:

      > I am hammocking at the Okpik (BSA Winter Camping) training in January, and I
      > may end up in a moderately windy site next to a lake. I am considering a
      > modified snow slit trench, slung low, with the tarp low as well, to block
      > wind. I'd still be suspended (unless I don't want to sleep, which is what
      > will happen if I am on the ground), but low. Shouldn't take much to
      > construct if the snow is at all deep.
      >

      > On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:37:12 -0700 Dick Matthews <dick@...> writes:
      >
      > Just might be stupid. I figure it is virtually a whole day to construct.
      > Hike into the area make the snow pile about late morning, go for a snowshoe,
      > then return and dig the cave. I have never been able to create a snow
      > shelter without getting wet. Caves are fun and great emergency shelters,
      > but only useful for base camp situations.
      >
      > I just wonder if the movement of the trees and hammock will cause the roof
      > to collapse. I guess I need to try it and see.
      >
      > Dick Matthews
      > Colorado
      >
      > Nazdarovye wrote:
      > Wow - ambitious!

      I was going to try mine out in a snow slit trench this
      > winter - similar
      thinking, just without the roof. I figured that it would
      > take care of
      the majority of the convective heat loss due to wind.

      If you
      > try this, post pictures - I'd love to see it.

      On Nov 3, 2004, at 9:16 AM,
      > Dick Matthews wrote:

      > Winter will be here soon and I am thinking about setting my hammock up
      in a
      > quinzhee.

      1. Dig a trench in the snow between the two trees,
      2. Install the
      > hammock in snake skins,
      3. Inflate a VBL sleeping bag liner under the
      > hammock,
      4. Throw the snow back on the hammock,
      5. Dig the snow cave.

      Has