Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock City

  • navjohn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 4, 2004

      In a message dated 11/4/04 12:20:57 PM, k4mnj@... writes:

      http://www.scouttroop.org/oh/bsa/476/

      Well, so much for leave-no-trace camping.
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 4, 2004
        > Found this link to a picture of "hammock city" on a scouting forum.
        >
        > http://www.scouttroop.org/oh/bsa/476/

        Somebody needs to tell those boys that you're supposed to hang the hammock
        from trees, not cut down trees to make stands...

        Shane
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 4, 2004
          they thought it was "leave no trees" camping...

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, navjohn@a... wrote:

          > In a message dated 11/4/04 12:20:57 PM, k4mnj@i... writes:
          >

          > > http://www.scouttroop.org/oh/bsa/476/
          > >

          > Well, so much for leave-no-trace camping.
        • ccp5655
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 4, 2004
            I don't know the specifics of this situation, but knowing that BSA
            endorses Leave No Trace, I would imagine the "trees" were cut down for
            some other purpose (thinning?) and saved for various activities
            related to the Pioneering merit badge. That's the one that uses ropes
            and timbers to construct towers, furniture and other stuff.

            I won't say that it's impossible that someone cut the trees down just
            to make the "tent city", but it's very unlikely.

            Pete

            > they thought it was "leave no trees" camping...
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, navjohn@a... wrote:
            > >
            > > In a message dated 11/4/04 12:20:57 PM, k4mnj@i... writes:
            > >

            > > > http://www.scouttroop.org/oh/bsa/476/
            > > >

            > > Well, so much for leave-no-trace camping.
          • Steve Joiner
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 4, 2004
              Boy Scout First Class Requirements:

              7a.  Discuss when you should and should not use lashings.
              7b.  Demonstrate tying the timber hitch and clove hitch and their use in square, shear and diagonal lashings by joining two or more poles or staves together
              7c.  Use lashings to make a useful camp gadget.

              We keep a collection of poles for 7 b and c.  "Useful" camp gadgets include a host of items.  The favorite seems to be the infamous "weather rock."  Tie a tripod.  Hang a rock from the center.  If the rock is wet, it's raining.  If you can't see it, it's dark.  If you can't see it and it's daytime, there's an eclipse.  If it's swinging back and forth, it's windy.  If there is ice on it, it's cold.  If the ice is white, it's snowing......  I would be shocked if the poles in the hammock city were cut on site.  A certain 'no-no,' that you'd not get away with in our troop!

              Cheers!

              Steve
              Troop Committee Chairman
              BSA Troop 501 - Lawrenceville, GA
              "I used to be a fox..."

            • jonas4321@juno.com

                I don't know the specifics of this situation, but knowing that BSA
                endorses Leave No Trace, I would imagine the "trees" were cut down for
                some other purpose (thinning?) and saved for various activities
                related to the Pioneering merit badge. That's the one that uses ropes
                and timbers to construct towers, furniture and other stuff.

                I won't say that it's impossible that someone cut the trees down just
                to make the "tent city", but it's very unlikely.

                Pete

                > they thought it was "leave no trees" camping...
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, navjohn@a... wrote:
                > >
                > > In a message dated 11/4/04 12:20:57 PM, k4mnj@i... writes:
                > >

                > > > http://www.scouttroop.org/oh/bsa/476/
                > > >

                > > Well, so much for leave-no-trace camping.

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 4, 2004
                  Our favorite camp gadget is a flagpole. Covers the flag raisng requirment also.

                  This winter we will be making one of these also :]
                  http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/winter/gear/snowballista.htm

                  Ralp[h Oborn I used to be an antelopee.

                  On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:52:10 -0500, Steve Joiner <joiners@...> wrote:

                  > Boy Scout First Class Requirements:
                  >
                  > 7a. Discuss when you should and should not use lashings.
                  > 7b. Demonstrate tying the timber hitch and clove hitch and their use in
                  > square, shear and diagonal lashings by joining two or more poles or staves
                  > together
                  > 7c. Use lashings to make a useful camp gadget.
                  >
                  > We keep a collection of poles for 7 b and c. "Useful" camp gadgets include
                  > a host of items. The favorite seems to be the infamous "weather rock." Tie
                  > a tripod. Hang a rock from the center. If the rock is wet, it's raining.
                  > If you can't see it, it's dark. If you can't see it and it's daytime,
                  > there's an eclipse. If it's swinging back and forth, it's windy. If there
                  > is ice on it, it's cold. If the ice is white, it's snowing...... I would
                  > be shocked if the poles in the hammock city were cut on site. A certain
                  > 'no-no,' that you'd not get away with in our troop!
                  >
                  > Cheers!
                  >
                  > Steve
                  > Troop Committee Chairman
                  > BSA Troop 501 - Lawrenceville, GA
                  > "I used to be a fox..."
                  >
                  > http://www.t501.ga.bsatroops.org/

                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 4, 2004
                    Hi Ralph, I really like that web site. If you click
                    on the "How to Build Sleds" link and then look for the
                    "Ben Hunt's Packrack Sled' I made that one out of
                    Aluminum to carry my Hammock when I go winter hiking.

                    Bill in Texas

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Steve Joiner
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 4, 2004
                      Looks great, Ralph!!  Not sure we'll have much opportunity to use anything with 'snowball' in the name here in GA this winter!

                      Steve

                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                        Ralph,
                        Insert either 'water balloon' or 'rubber ball' and FIRE!!

                        Tom in Virginia Beach, VA where snow is rare.

                        From: "Steve Joiner" <joiners@...>
                        Date: 2004/11/05 Fri AM 12:48:40 EST
                        To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                          Ya, it's not like they were cutting old-growth forest or anything. I
                          was just joking...

                          Bill in Houston

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ccp5655" <cpeters41@c...>

                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                            Yup, I've been pondering your design since I first saw it almost a year ago.
                            For our deeper snows I think the runners would sink in to much, might
                            have to use a sheet of stiff plastic to "float" on the powder. Or use
                            a kids plastic sled as the frame.

                            Cross fertilization of ideas is neat, Hammock inside a snow shelter is
                            a real challenge

                            Ralph

                            On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:44:26 -0800 (PST), Bill Fornshell
                            <bfornshell@...> wrote:
                            > Hi Ralph, I really like that web site. If you click
                            > on the "How to Build Sleds" link and then look for the
                            > "Ben Hunt's Packrack Sled' I made that one out of
                            > Aluminum to carry my Hammock when I go winter hiking.
                            >
                            > Bill in Texas

                          • Ralph Oborn
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                              Water balloons leave litter, choking hazard, use a wet sponge, easier
                              to find the pieces.

                              Ralph

                              On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 9:07:26 -0500, tjarrell@... <tjarrell@...> wrote:

                              > Ralph,
                              > Insert either 'water balloon' or 'rubber ball' and FIRE!!
                              >
                              > Tom in Virginia Beach, VA where snow is rare.
                              >
                              > From: "Steve Joiner" <joiners@...>
                              > Date: 2004/11/05 Fri AM 12:48:40 EST
                              > To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
                              > Subject: RE: [Hammock Camping] Hammock City
                              >

                              > Looks great, Ralph!! Not sure we'll have much opportunity to use anything
                              > with 'snowball' in the name here in GA this winter!
                              >
                              > Steve

                            • Dick Matthews
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                                I do not know the specifics of the the hammock city.  Most of the poles appear to be maple.

                                Years ago on the farm we had about an acre grove of black locusts that were used for fence posts and stove wood.  When I was a boy scout we cut poles about double fence post length and used them for the pioneering.  After a couple of months we cut them to post length and racked them to cure.

                                We also sold Christmas trees commercially.  For marginal soil sometimes trees are a great cash crop.

                                Dick Matthews

                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                                  Hi Ralph, The runners will get a wide piece of
                                  (UHMWPE) "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene "
                                  2" wide and attached to the current runners. It is
                                  on a list of things to do before we get our first
                                  snow. Someone from Canada saw a picture of the sled
                                  and suggested the UHMWPE. They use a lot of it up
                                  there and there is a company that makes sleds out of
                                  it. http://www.northensledworks.com/index.html

                                  A local sign materials shop here sells it so it is
                                  easy to get and doesn't cost much. They will even cut
                                  it anyway I want it for free. I think you could make
                                  a hammock out of this stuff
                                  (1/8" thick) as it has some flex and can be rolled up.
                                  Maybe a double - hammock. It would be heavier than
                                  ripstop but for car camping or where weight is no
                                  factor it might work.

                                  Bill in Texas - and yes we do get snow here in San
                                  Antonio - in 1985? and 1986? we got a lot and everyone
                                  went crazy.

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                                    URL Correction:

                                    > Hi Ralph, The runners will get a wide piece of
                                    > (UHMWPE) "ultra high molecular weight polyethylene "
                                    > 2" wide and attached to the current runners. It is
                                    > on a list of things to do before we get our first
                                    > snow. Someone from Canada saw a picture of the sled
                                    > and suggested the UHMWPE. They use a lot of it up
                                    > there and there is a company that makes sleds out of
                                    it.

                                    http://www.northernsledworks.com/index.html

                                    Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                                    www.yahoo.com
                                  • Clifford R. Haynes
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                                      The photo looks a lot like a camporee photo (which means the poles were transported in). Even if it isn't, and is just a troop campout and the poles were cut on site (with permission), I'd bet dollars to donuts they will be saved for future use. LNT is sort of a silly term to begin with. After all the production of the raw materials in all of the camping gear we use left a trace somewhere.
                                      Rocky
                                    • Dylan Anderson
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                                        Our troop gets our lashing poles from similar sources
                                        as well. But the scope in that picture is quite
                                        something. Talk about a lot of knots! Oh, but
                                        Jonas4321, what's with this?

                                        --- jonas4321@... wrote:

                                        > "I used to be an Eagle..."

                                        Remember, once an Eagle, always an Eagle. It's the
                                        only rank you are allowed to carry into adulthood.
                                        There is no former....

                                        =====

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • jonas4321@juno.com
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                                          "I used to be an Eagle" is part of a song called "Back to Gilwell", which
                                          is sung by Scouters that have taken (or are taking!) the BSA Wood Badge
                                          training course. Eagle is one of the Patrols that participants might
                                          belong to as they take the course. It does not refer to the rank of
                                          Eagle.

                                          Other Patrol names are Antelope (Ralph is one of those, they are somewhat
                                          rare), Fox (Steve Joiner is one of them), Owl, Beaver, Bobwhite, Buffalo,
                                          Bear, and Eagle (that's me!). We affectionately refer to these as
                                          "critters". "I used to be..." is a catch-phrase we use as Wood Badgers-
                                          it always brings a smile.

                                          Wood Badge is an advanced leader training course for all Scouting leaders
                                          (Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Exploring, Venturing, Council, etc.) and it
                                          focuses on team building and leadership. It usually is a very significant
                                          and heart-felt experience for those that take the course (or staff it, as
                                          I have been fortunate enough to do several times). It is also extremely
                                          helpful training, not just in being a Scout leader, but at work and in
                                          life, too.

                                          I never even was a Boy Scout- I dropped out at the Webelos rank in Cub
                                          Scouting (as did my brother- we got bored!), but my son is an Eagle, and
                                          I know what you mean by Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle!

                                          Jonas

                                          On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:02:31 -0800 (PST) Dylan Anderson <hum469@...>
                                          writes:

                                          > Our troop gets our lashing poles from similar sources
                                          > as well. But the scope in that picture is quite
                                          > something. Talk about a lot of knots! Oh, but
                                          > Jonas4321, what's with this?
                                          >
                                          > --- jonas4321@... wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > "I used to be an Eagle..."
                                          >
                                          > Remember, once an Eagle, always an Eagle. It's the
                                          > only rank you are allowed to carry into adulthood.
                                          > There is no former....
                                          >
                                          > =====
                                          > Though I may die tomorrow, at least I can do it with the knowledge
                                          > that once I did know true love -unknown

                                          > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                        • Mike Jenkins
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                                            I second this... Wood Badge is one of the best scouting experiences
                                            I've had. It is also a great leadership training course that offers
                                            practical experience in business and life.

                                            I used my Hennessey Hammock during Wood Badge. Between the first and
                                            second outing, two more in my patrol bought hammocks.

                                            Mike
                                            "I used to be a bear..."

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                                              Good Woodbadge description Jonas.

                                              Lots of Woodbadgers here...

                                              "I used to be a fox..."

                                              -Paul

                                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                                            • Ralph Oborn
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                                                Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
                                                reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
                                                when you can't really sing.

                                                Ralph

                                              • jonas4321@juno.com
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                                                  Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
                                                  and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
                                                  and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
                                                  and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
                                                  later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
                                                  them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
                                                  song work!

                                                  Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
                                                  <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...

                                                  hehehe

                                                  On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>
                                                  writes:

                                                  > Well said, In our council I am spearheading a Critter equalization
                                                  > reform movement to get more Antelopeees. It is rough singing alone
                                                  > when you can't really sing.
                                                  >
                                                  > Ralph

                                                • Ralph Oborn
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Nov 5, 2004
                                                    The first time I was on staff I was thrilled there was another
                                                    antelope, but he sang even worse than I did. it was so bad we would
                                                    have "guest" lopes join us.

                                                    Do we need to split this off to another group?

                                                    hammock scouters?

                                                    Ralph

                                                    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 00:58:19 -0500, jonas4321@...
                                                    <jonas4321@...> wrote:

                                                    > Our last Course Director (a Buffalo), decided to break with tradition,
                                                    > and with only 6 patrols on the course, we skipped Beaver and Bobwhite,
                                                    > and started with an Eagle patrol. This way, we finished with Antelope,
                                                    > and there was a patrol of Buffaloes for her to sing with! I found out
                                                    > later that this is OK, you just can't change the order in which you sing
                                                    > them. There were plenty of Beavers and Bobwhites in the staff to make the
                                                    > song work!
                                                    >
                                                    > Funny you mention that, Ralph- the Antelope patrol couldn't sing either
                                                    > <grin>! Maybe it just takes an Eagle...
                                                    >
                                                    > hehehe
                                                    >
                                                    > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:11:54 -0700 Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>

                                                  • Dylan Anderson
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                                                      Oh, ok I did not catch on to it as a line out of the
                                                      song because I caught it out of context with the
                                                      others. I saw the capitalization of the work in the
                                                      simpler context of scouting, and assumed the rank was
                                                      ment. I appologize.

                                                      =====

                                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                    • jonas4321@juno.com
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Nov 6, 2004
                                                        Gee, you gave me an opportunity to speak (type) about something that
                                                        means a great deal to me. No apologies needed! Thanks for asking.