Re: Looking for a Spectra fabric source (for a hammock, of course)

  • NiytOwl
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
      Thanks Craig, but that Spectra ripstop is way too heavy. I was
      looking more for a really sheer 100% Spectra fabric.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig <_craig@y...> wrote:
      > Does this site help?
      > http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-tent,sleeping%20bag.htm
      >

      > --- NiytOwl <niytowl@y...> wrote:
      >

      > > While there are thousands of sites selling Spectra
      > > lines and ropes, I
      > > can't seem to locate one selling light fabrics -
      > > like the kind being
      > > used in some of the lightweight backpacks (not the
      > > resin-coated sail
      > > cloth!). Anyone know of a place?
      > >
      > > Spectra seems like it would be an ideal hammocking
      > > fabric with its
      > > unbeatable strength-to-weight ratio, UV resistance,
      > > cut/tear
      > > resistance, and wear characteristics. I use it for
      > > fishing line and
      > > stunt kite line, and HHs use it in their main ropes,
      > > which makes me
      > > wonder why Tom never made a hammock out of Spectra.
      > >
      > > I hope someone knows of a source though - sounds
      > > like a worthwhile
      > > experimental hammock project.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Jim

      > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      > www.yahoo.com
    • b
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
        NiytOwl,

        You might try the Cuben Corp (http://www.cubenfiber.com/cfmain.html).
        The make carbon fiber & spectra sailcloth. Like you I was searching
        for a spectra cloth source.
        bill2 in tx.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
          Hi, Have you bought anything from Cuben Corp?
          Bill 1 in Texas
          --- b <hamish54@...> wrote:

          > NiytOwl,
          >
          > You might try the Cuben Corp
          > (http://www.cubenfiber.com/cfmain.html).
          > The make carbon fiber & spectra sailcloth. Like you
          > I was searching
          > for a spectra cloth source.
          > bill2 in tx.

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • rambler4466
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2004
            <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
            > Hi, Have you bought anything from Cuben Corp?
            > Bill 1 in Texas
            > --- b <hamish54@y...> wrote:
            >

            > > NiytOwl,
            > >
            > > You might try the Cuben Corp
            > > (http://www.cubenfiber.com/cfmain.html).
            > > The make carbon fiber & spectra sailcloth. Like you
            > > I was searching
            > > for a spectra cloth source.
            > > bill2 in tx.

            A few years ago, looking for lightweight spectra, I contacted a
            small company that used it in their backpacks. They could only buy
            it in bulk, usually did not sell it to customers, but relented for a
            yard or so.
            Maybe this site can help you, scroll down to find "White window
            spectra ripstop" http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html