Re: [Hammock Camping] Looking for a Spectra fabric source (for a hammock, of course)

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
      Does this site help?
      http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-tent,sleeping%20bag.htm

      --- NiytOwl <niytowl@...> wrote:

      > While there are thousands of sites selling Spectra
      > lines and ropes, I
      > can't seem to locate one selling light fabrics -
      > like the kind being
      > used in some of the lightweight backpacks (not the
      > resin-coated sail
      > cloth!). Anyone know of a place?
      >
      > Spectra seems like it would be an ideal hammocking
      > fabric with its
      > unbeatable strength-to-weight ratio, UV resistance,
      > cut/tear
      > resistance, and wear characteristics. I use it for
      > fishing line and
      > stunt kite line, and HHs use it in their main ropes,
      > which makes me
      > wonder why Tom never made a hammock out of Spectra.
      >
      > I hope someone knows of a source though - sounds
      > like a worthwhile
      > experimental hammock project.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jim

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
    • NiytOwl
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
        Thanks Craig, but that Spectra ripstop is way too heavy. I was
        looking more for a really sheer 100% Spectra fabric.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig <_craig@y...> wrote:
        > Does this site help?
        > http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-tent,sleeping%20bag.htm
        >

        > --- NiytOwl <niytowl@y...> wrote:
        >

        > > While there are thousands of sites selling Spectra
        > > lines and ropes, I
        > > can't seem to locate one selling light fabrics -
        > > like the kind being
        > > used in some of the lightweight backpacks (not the
        > > resin-coated sail
        > > cloth!). Anyone know of a place?
        > >
        > > Spectra seems like it would be an ideal hammocking
        > > fabric with its
        > > unbeatable strength-to-weight ratio, UV resistance,
        > > cut/tear
        > > resistance, and wear characteristics. I use it for
        > > fishing line and
        > > stunt kite line, and HHs use it in their main ropes,
        > > which makes me
        > > wonder why Tom never made a hammock out of Spectra.
        > >
        > > I hope someone knows of a source though - sounds
        > > like a worthwhile
        > > experimental hammock project.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Jim

        > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        > www.yahoo.com
      • b
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
          NiytOwl,

          You might try the Cuben Corp (http://www.cubenfiber.com/cfmain.html).
          The make carbon fiber & spectra sailcloth. Like you I was searching
          for a spectra cloth source.
          bill2 in tx.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
            Hi, Have you bought anything from Cuben Corp?
            Bill 1 in Texas
            --- b <hamish54@...> wrote:

            > NiytOwl,
            >
            > You might try the Cuben Corp
            > (http://www.cubenfiber.com/cfmain.html).
            > The make carbon fiber & spectra sailcloth. Like you
            > I was searching
            > for a spectra cloth source.
            > bill2 in tx.

            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            www.yahoo.com
          • rambler4466
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2004
              <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
              > Hi, Have you bought anything from Cuben Corp?
              > Bill 1 in Texas
              > --- b <hamish54@y...> wrote:
              >

              > > NiytOwl,
              > >
              > > You might try the Cuben Corp
              > > (http://www.cubenfiber.com/cfmain.html).
              > > The make carbon fiber & spectra sailcloth. Like you
              > > I was searching
              > > for a spectra cloth source.
              > > bill2 in tx.

              A few years ago, looking for lightweight spectra, I contacted a
              small company that used it in their backpacks. They could only buy
              it in bulk, usually did not sell it to customers, but relented for a
              yard or so.
              Maybe this site can help you, scroll down to find "White window
              spectra ripstop" http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html