Re: [Hammock Camping] wild idea

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004
      > Has anyone tried this?

      Never tried it.

      > Advice or comments please.

      Sounds dangerous.

      I'm glad I don't do sneaux.

      Shane
    • jonas4321@juno.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2004
        I am hammocking at the Okpik (BSA Winter Camping) training in January, and I may end up in a moderately windy site next to a lake. I am considering a modified snow slit trench, slung low, with the tarp low as well, to block wind. I'd still be suspended (unless I don't want to sleep, which is what will happen if I am on the ground), but low. Shouldn't take much to construct if the snow is at all deep.

        On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:37:12 -0700 Dick Matthews <dick@...> writes:
        Just might be stupid.  I figure it is virtually a whole day to construct.  Hike into the area make the snow pile about late morning, go for a snowshoe, then return and dig the cave.  I have never been able to create a snow shelter without getting wet.  Caves are fun and great emergency shelters, but only useful for base camp situations.

        I just wonder if the movement of the trees and hammock will cause the roof to collapse.  I guess I need to try it and see.

        Dick Matthews
        Colorado

        Nazdarovye wrote:
        Wow - ambitious!

        I was going to try mine out in a snow slit trench this winter - similar
        thinking, just without the roof. I figured that it would take care of
        the majority of the convective heat loss due to wind.

        If you try this, post pictures - I'd love to see it.

        On Nov 3, 2004, at 9:16 AM, Dick Matthews wrote:

        Winter will be here soon and I am thinking about setting my hammock up
        in a quinzhee.

        1.    Dig a trench in the snow between the two trees,
        2.    Install the hammock in snake skins,
        3.    Inflate a VBL sleeping bag liner under the hammock,
        4.    Throw the snow back on the hammock,
        5.    Dig the snow cave.

        Has anyone tried this?

        Advice or comments please.

        Dick Matthews
        Colorado.

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2004
          I have a friend here in Idaho who takes a refrigerator box out on the
          lake and sleeps in that!

          Insulation, wind break, low cost.

          Usually when I do my slit trench, I like to covwer it over with tarp
          and snow to insulate. On other occasions I have built a partial igloo
          up and over the slit trench. If the snow is right, save the blocks as
          you cut them out, stack and cover the slit.

          One concern I would consider is the snow is usully not as deep right
          around a tree or between two trees.

          Please let me know how it goes. I'm in charge of a Klondike in January.

          Ralph I used to be an antelopeee

          Ralph Oborn

          On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:32:49 -0500, jonas4321@...
          <jonas4321@...> wrote:

          > I am hammocking at the Okpik (BSA Winter Camping) training in January, and I
          > may end up in a moderately windy site next to a lake. I am considering a
          > modified snow slit trench, slung low, with the tarp low as well, to block
          > wind. I'd still be suspended (unless I don't want to sleep, which is what
          > will happen if I am on the ground), but low. Shouldn't take much to
          > construct if the snow is at all deep.
          >

          > On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:37:12 -0700 Dick Matthews <dick@...> writes:
          >
          > Just might be stupid. I figure it is virtually a whole day to construct.
          > Hike into the area make the snow pile about late morning, go for a snowshoe,
          > then return and dig the cave. I have never been able to create a snow
          > shelter without getting wet. Caves are fun and great emergency shelters,
          > but only useful for base camp situations.
          >
          > I just wonder if the movement of the trees and hammock will cause the roof
          > to collapse. I guess I need to try it and see.
          >
          > Dick Matthews
          > Colorado
          >
          > Nazdarovye wrote:
          > Wow - ambitious!

          I was going to try mine out in a snow slit trench this
          > winter - similar
          thinking, just without the roof. I figured that it would
          > take care of
          the majority of the convective heat loss due to wind.

          If you
          > try this, post pictures - I'd love to see it.

          On Nov 3, 2004, at 9:16 AM,
          > Dick Matthews wrote:

          > Winter will be here soon and I am thinking about setting my hammock up
          in a
          > quinzhee.

          1. Dig a trench in the snow between the two trees,
          2. Install the
          > hammock in snake skins,
          3. Inflate a VBL sleeping bag liner under the
          > hammock,
          4. Throw the snow back on the hammock,
          5. Dig the snow cave.

          Has