wild idea

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004
      Winter will be here soon and I am thinking about setting my hammock up
      in a quinzhee.

      1. Dig a trench in the snow between the two trees,
      2. Install the hammock in snake skins,
      3. Inflate a VBL sleeping bag liner under the hammock,
      4. Throw the snow back on the hammock,
      5. Dig the snow cave.

      Has anyone tried this?

      Advice or comments please.

      Dick Matthews
      Colorado.
    • Nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004
        Wow - ambitious!

        I was going to try mine out in a snow slit trench this winter - similar
        thinking, just without the roof. I figured that it would take care of
        the majority of the convective heat loss due to wind.

        If you try this, post pictures - I'd love to see it.

        On Nov 3, 2004, at 9:16 AM, Dick Matthews wrote:

        > Winter will be here soon and I am thinking about setting my hammock up
        > in a quinzhee.
        >
        > 1. Dig a trench in the snow between the two trees,
        > 2. Install the hammock in snake skins,
        > 3. Inflate a VBL sleeping bag liner under the hammock,
        > 4. Throw the snow back on the hammock,
        > 5. Dig the snow cave.
        >
        > Has anyone tried this?
        >
        > Advice or comments please.
        >
        > Dick Matthews
        > Colorado.
      • Dick Matthews
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004
          Just might be stupid.  I figure it is virtually a whole day to construct.  Hike into the area make the snow pile about late morning, go for a snowshoe, then return and dig the cave.  I have never been able to create a snow shelter without getting wet.  Caves are fun and great emergency shelters, but only useful for base camp situations.

          I just wonder if the movement of the trees and hammock will cause the roof to collapse.  I guess I need to try it and see.

          Dick Matthews
          Colorado