Re: Spectra Hammock

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
      Doesn't the 'stretch' of the hammock material effect the comfort of
      the hammock?

      Youngblood

      <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
      > I think they found out someone wanted to use Spectra
      > for their hammock and are just offering them a low
      > mortgage rate for it. I don't even want to guess how
      > much that would cost using Spectra material like my
      > Kelty White Cloud is made out of. The Spectra ripstop
      > seconds that Quest Outfitters sells is $6.50 a yard
      > (60" wide) but only the grid fiber is Spectra. I have
      > a yard of this stuff to use for "wear points" on a
      > winter pack pack I want to make. It should make a
      > very strong Hammock though for me it would be way
      > over-kill on the strength side of things.
      >
      > Do you really need hammock this strong?
      > Are you thinking about a hammock for two people?
      >
      > Bill in Texas
      >

      > On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 00:24:12 -0600, Shane Steinkamp
      > <shane@t...> wrote:
      >
      > Spammer whacked.
      >
      > Shane

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • NiytOwl
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
        Bill,

        I'm hoping to aquire a spectra cloth in a 15D or 10D weight that would
        support my 175 lbs and save me a bunch of ounces while still being
        robust enough to handle the backcountry. Hennessy's Racer hammocks
        are OK for biking, but aren't very durable. I'm shooting for a 7 oz
        hammock that will last more than one hiking season and withstand the
        abuse of the trail.

        As far as stretch affecting comfort - spectra DOES stretch, but not
        immediately - it undergoes creep, which is a slow permanent stretch.
        I figure that means the longer the hammock is used, the more it will
        "form-fit". I could be totally wrong, but until someone makes the
        hammock, we won't know for sure, will we?

        I wouldn't mind finding a source for a nylon cloth with spectra
        webbing either. It should have a much higher tensile strength than
        just plain nylon of the same weight.

        <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
        > I think they found out someone wanted to use Spectra
        > for their hammock and are just offering them a low
        > mortgage rate for it. I don't even want to guess how
        > much that would cost using Spectra material like my
        > Kelty White Cloud is made out of. The Spectra ripstop
        > seconds that Quest Outfitters sells is $6.50 a yard
        > (60" wide) but only the grid fiber is Spectra. I have
        > a yard of this stuff to use for "wear points" on a
        > winter pack pack I want to make. It should make a
        > very strong Hammock though for me it would be way
        > over-kill on the strength side of things.
        >
        > Do you really need hammock this strong?
        > Are you thinking about a hammock for two people?
        >
        > Bill in Texas
        >

        > On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 00:24:12 -0600, Shane Steinkamp
        > <shane@t...> wrote:
        >
        > Spammer whacked.
        >
        > Shane

        > http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
          Hi, You don't weigh much more than I did when I got
          my Silk Speer Hammock. My weight at that time was
          about 172+/- a pound or two. The silk weight was 1.02
          oz per square yard.

          I just checked the Spectra Grid ripstop that I have
          and it weighs 3.53oz per square yard. The grid is
          about 1/4". It has a little diagonal stretch and I
          think there is a word for that but I am not sure what
          it is. Is the word creep?

          I think a hammock made out of this material would go
          over your goal of 7oz fast.

          You can buy .7oz (real weight) per square yard
          spinnaker ripstop that might hold you made into a
          hammock. I costs $3.00 a yard and I think it is 60"
          wide. I have some made into a large Mac Cat Tarp and
          it is holding up well.
          Bill in Texas

          --- NiytOwl <niytowl@...> wrote:

          > Bill,
          >
          > I'm hoping to acquire a spectra cloth in a 15D or
          10D
          > weight that would
          > support my 175 lbs and save me a bunch of ounces
          > while still being
          > robust enough to handle the backcountry. Hennessy's
          > Racer hammocks
          > are OK for biking, but aren't very durable. I'm
          > shooting for a 7 oz
          > hammock that will last more than one hiking season
          > and withstand the
          > abuse of the trail.
          >
          > As far as stretch affecting comfort - spectra DOES
          > stretch, but not
          > immediately - it undergoes creep, which is a slow
          > permanent stretch.
          > I figure that means the longer the hammock is used,
          > the more it will
          > "form-fit". I could be totally wrong, but until
          > someone makes the
          > hammock, we won't know for sure, will we?
          >
          > I wouldn't mind finding a source for a nylon cloth
          > with spectra
          > webbing either. It should have a much higher
          > tensile strength than
          > just plain nylon of the same weight.
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
          > Fornshell
          > <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
          > > I think they found out someone wanted to use
          > Spectra
          > > for their hammock and are just offering them a low
          > > mortgage rate for it. I don't even want to guess
          > how
          > > much that would cost using Spectra material like
          > my
          > > Kelty White Cloud is made out of. The Spectra
          > ripstop
          > > seconds that Quest Outfitters sells is $6.50 a
          > yard
          > > (60" wide) but only the grid fiber is Spectra. I
          > have
          > > a yard of this stuff to use for "wear points" on a
          > > winter pack pack I want to make. It should make a
          > > very strong Hammock though for me it would be way
          > > over-kill on the strength side of things.
          > >
          > > Do you really need hammock this strong?
          > > Are you thinking about a hammock for two people?
          > >
          > > Bill in Texas
          > >

          > > On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 00:24:12 -0600, Shane
          > Steinkamp
          > > <shane@t...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Spammer whacked.
          > >
          > > Shane