Looking for a Spectra fabric source (for a hammock, of course)

  • NiytOwl
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
      While there are thousands of sites selling Spectra lines and ropes, I
      can't seem to locate one selling light fabrics - like the kind being
      used in some of the lightweight backpacks (not the resin-coated sail
      cloth!). Anyone know of a place?

      Spectra seems like it would be an ideal hammocking fabric with its
      unbeatable strength-to-weight ratio, UV resistance, cut/tear
      resistance, and wear characteristics. I use it for fishing line and
      stunt kite line, and HHs use it in their main ropes, which makes me
      wonder why Tom never made a hammock out of Spectra.

      I hope someone knows of a source though - sounds like a worthwhile
      experimental hammock project.

      Thanks,
      Jim
    • Craig
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
        Does this site help?
        http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-tent,sleeping%20bag.htm

        --- NiytOwl <niytowl@...> wrote:

        > While there are thousands of sites selling Spectra
        > lines and ropes, I
        > can't seem to locate one selling light fabrics -
        > like the kind being
        > used in some of the lightweight backpacks (not the
        > resin-coated sail
        > cloth!). Anyone know of a place?
        >
        > Spectra seems like it would be an ideal hammocking
        > fabric with its
        > unbeatable strength-to-weight ratio, UV resistance,
        > cut/tear
        > resistance, and wear characteristics. I use it for
        > fishing line and
        > stunt kite line, and HHs use it in their main ropes,
        > which makes me
        > wonder why Tom never made a hammock out of Spectra.
        >
        > I hope someone knows of a source though - sounds
        > like a worthwhile
        > experimental hammock project.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jim

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • NiytOwl
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
          Thanks Craig, but that Spectra ripstop is way too heavy. I was
          looking more for a really sheer 100% Spectra fabric.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig <_craig@y...> wrote:
          > Does this site help?
          > http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-tent,sleeping%20bag.htm
          >

          > --- NiytOwl <niytowl@y...> wrote:
          >

          > > While there are thousands of sites selling Spectra
          > > lines and ropes, I
          > > can't seem to locate one selling light fabrics -
          > > like the kind being
          > > used in some of the lightweight backpacks (not the
          > > resin-coated sail
          > > cloth!). Anyone know of a place?
          > >
          > > Spectra seems like it would be an ideal hammocking
          > > fabric with its
          > > unbeatable strength-to-weight ratio, UV resistance,
          > > cut/tear
          > > resistance, and wear characteristics. I use it for
          > > fishing line and
          > > stunt kite line, and HHs use it in their main ropes,
          > > which makes me
          > > wonder why Tom never made a hammock out of Spectra.
          > >
          > > I hope someone knows of a source though - sounds
          > > like a worthwhile
          > > experimental hammock project.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Jim

          > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          > www.yahoo.com
        • b
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
            NiytOwl,

            You might try the Cuben Corp (http://www.cubenfiber.com/cfmain.html).
            The make carbon fiber & spectra sailcloth. Like you I was searching
            for a spectra cloth source.
            bill2 in tx.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
              Hi, Have you bought anything from Cuben Corp?
              Bill 1 in Texas
              --- b <hamish54@...> wrote:

              > NiytOwl,
              >
              > You might try the Cuben Corp
              > (http://www.cubenfiber.com/cfmain.html).
              > The make carbon fiber & spectra sailcloth. Like you
              > I was searching
              > for a spectra cloth source.
              > bill2 in tx.

              Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
              www.yahoo.com
            • rambler4466
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2004
                <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                > Hi, Have you bought anything from Cuben Corp?
                > Bill 1 in Texas
                > --- b <hamish54@y...> wrote:
                >

                > > NiytOwl,
                > >
                > > You might try the Cuben Corp
                > > (http://www.cubenfiber.com/cfmain.html).
                > > The make carbon fiber & spectra sailcloth. Like you
                > > I was searching
                > > for a spectra cloth source.
                > > bill2 in tx.

                A few years ago, looking for lightweight spectra, I contacted a
                small company that used it in their backpacks. They could only buy
                it in bulk, usually did not sell it to customers, but relented for a
                yard or so.
                Maybe this site can help you, scroll down to find "White window
                spectra ripstop" http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html