Re: What are the features of different kinds of Hammocks

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
      > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
      >
      > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
      > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
      > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
      > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.

      Craig,

      As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own personal way to a
      hammock. One question that I asked myself was whether I could find
      out if I liked hammock camping without investing an arm and a leg.

      After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came back to that
      question and developed a simple hammock that anyone can build for
      about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a sweetie. Maybe this
      link will be your starting point:

      http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

      Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read Ed's book. It is
      where many of us started.

      Risk
    • Eric Sandberg
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
        Craig,

        Welcome to the club! You sound a lot like me (50's, creaky, stomach
        sleeper, worried about asking stupid questions).

        My terribly biased opinion is that hammock sleeping is so much
        better than on the ground or even a cot. I don't have the aches and
        pains I used to get from sleeping on the hard ground (even with one
        of the expensive, heavy self inflating pads). I started with an
        inexpensive Traveler (by Byer). They're available at EMS (if you
        have one in your area) or Campmor (www.campmor.com). I sewed a
        mosquito net on it and have been using it for about 4 years now.

        I recently got Ed Speer's book and have made a couple from his
        design, altering it with my own thoughts and stealing some ideas
        from the other folks on this board. Spend some time on Risk's site
        and you'll get some good thoughts. His trial hammock is worth ...
        well.. trying.

        You're right that stomach sleeping is not too comfortable in a
        hammock - but then it ain't all that great on the ground either. I
        can sleep sort of 3/4 on my stomach/ side and it's quite comfortable.

        Lastly, feel free to ask all the stupid questions you like. They're
        the only kind most of us can answer - or even understand.

        Happy hanging.

        Eric

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
          Thanks Risk for the tip, I'll try it. (I like your
          site)
          Thanks to the others for their comments.
          --- Risk <ra1@...> wrote:

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig
          > Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
          > > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
          > >
          > > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
          > > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep
          > on
          > > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
          > > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
          >

          > Craig,
          >
          > As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own
          > personal way to a
          > hammock. One question that I asked myself was
          > whether I could find
          > out if I liked hammock camping without investing an
          > arm and a leg.
          >
          > After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came
          > back to that
          > question and developed a simple hammock that anyone
          > can build for
          > about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a
          > sweetie. Maybe this
          > link will be your starting point:
          >
          > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
          >
          > Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read
          > Ed's book. It is
          > where many of us started.
          >
          > Risk

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • Craig Stephanski
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
            I have found that although I also like to stomach and side sleep,  the position of your body in the hammock makes me feel that I don't have to get to these positions to be comfortable.  I sleep on my back with one knee bent and then switch knees throughout the night.  I sleep longer in one position in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed.  That's why I will be converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room'  soon.  (provided I can convince the other half!!

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
              Sounds encouraging, I'm going to give it a try.

              Thank

            • Banjo Doje
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                Since I unfortunately have many sleeping disorders, my other half is
                used to not having me in his bed - and once I was introduced to
                hammocking, it didn't take me long to convert my bed on the floor to a
                hammock from the walls! Amazonas are the best I have found for
                lasting the longest - mine is over a year old and is still holding
                strong.

                Jodi

                On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 14:19:23 -0800 (PST), Craig Stephanski
                <stephanski@...> wrote:

                I sleep longer in one position
                > in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed. That's why I will be
                > converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room' soon. (provided I can convince
                > the other half!! )

                arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
                thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                ride!"