Re: What are the features of different kinds of Hammocks

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
      Craig,

      That is a great post for this site and a good list to get started
      with. I'm not sure how to answer it as I haven't been in all the
      available hammocks, I'm not sure I even know the number of different
      hammocks that those four different manufacturers make! Hammock
      camping has been very dynamic in the last few years and significant
      changes are still being made. I know Ed Speer and have read his book
      on Hammock Camping. His book addresses your question, but with his
      obvious bias (I mean, he does make one that he considers is the best)
      and based on the backpacking hammocks available a year or so ago when
      he did his research, designed his own line of hammocks and wrote his
      book.

      With the fundamental differences between some of these hammocks, I
      don't think you will get too many unbiased opinions. Some of these
      features are viewed as godsends by some folks, while others might
      view the same feature as a curse... it is just human nature that with
      some things people will view them entirely differently. There are a
      few folks, myself included, that make their own hammocks based on Ed
      Speers design or designs of their own. It should be noted that a lot
      of these self-designs are dynamic and changes are the norm.

      I recommend that you read Ed's book first just to get an idea of what
      hammock camping entails. It can be found here:
      http://www.speerhammocks.com/ . There is information in the book
      that will be of value to a hammock camper regardless of the hammock
      that they use.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...>
      wrote:
      > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
      > Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
      > that seem to be good canidates.
      >
      > Speer Hammock
      > Hennessey Hammock
      > Clark Jungle Hammock
      > Crazy Creek
      >
      > Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
      > these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?
      >
      > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
      > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
      > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
      > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
      > I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
      > Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
      > stupid question)
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Craig

      > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      > www.yahoo.com
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
        > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
        >
        > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
        > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
        > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
        > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.

        Craig,

        As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own personal way to a
        hammock. One question that I asked myself was whether I could find
        out if I liked hammock camping without investing an arm and a leg.

        After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came back to that
        question and developed a simple hammock that anyone can build for
        about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a sweetie. Maybe this
        link will be your starting point:

        http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

        Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read Ed's book. It is
        where many of us started.

        Risk
      • Eric Sandberg
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
          Craig,

          Welcome to the club! You sound a lot like me (50's, creaky, stomach
          sleeper, worried about asking stupid questions).

          My terribly biased opinion is that hammock sleeping is so much
          better than on the ground or even a cot. I don't have the aches and
          pains I used to get from sleeping on the hard ground (even with one
          of the expensive, heavy self inflating pads). I started with an
          inexpensive Traveler (by Byer). They're available at EMS (if you
          have one in your area) or Campmor (www.campmor.com). I sewed a
          mosquito net on it and have been using it for about 4 years now.

          I recently got Ed Speer's book and have made a couple from his
          design, altering it with my own thoughts and stealing some ideas
          from the other folks on this board. Spend some time on Risk's site
          and you'll get some good thoughts. His trial hammock is worth ...
          well.. trying.

          You're right that stomach sleeping is not too comfortable in a
          hammock - but then it ain't all that great on the ground either. I
          can sleep sort of 3/4 on my stomach/ side and it's quite comfortable.

          Lastly, feel free to ask all the stupid questions you like. They're
          the only kind most of us can answer - or even understand.

          Happy hanging.

          Eric

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
            Thanks Risk for the tip, I'll try it. (I like your
            site)
            Thanks to the others for their comments.
            --- Risk <ra1@...> wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig
            > Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
            > > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
            > >
            > > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
            > > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep
            > on
            > > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
            > > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
            >

            > Craig,
            >
            > As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own
            > personal way to a
            > hammock. One question that I asked myself was
            > whether I could find
            > out if I liked hammock camping without investing an
            > arm and a leg.
            >
            > After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came
            > back to that
            > question and developed a simple hammock that anyone
            > can build for
            > about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a
            > sweetie. Maybe this
            > link will be your starting point:
            >
            > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
            >
            > Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read
            > Ed's book. It is
            > where many of us started.
            >
            > Risk

            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            www.yahoo.com
          • Craig Stephanski
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
              I have found that although I also like to stomach and side sleep,  the position of your body in the hammock makes me feel that I don't have to get to these positions to be comfortable.  I sleep on my back with one knee bent and then switch knees throughout the night.  I sleep longer in one position in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed.  That's why I will be converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room'  soon.  (provided I can convince the other half!!

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                Sounds encouraging, I'm going to give it a try.

                Thank

              • Banjo Doje
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                  Since I unfortunately have many sleeping disorders, my other half is
                  used to not having me in his bed - and once I was introduced to
                  hammocking, it didn't take me long to convert my bed on the floor to a
                  hammock from the walls! Amazonas are the best I have found for
                  lasting the longest - mine is over a year old and is still holding
                  strong.

                  Jodi

                  On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 14:19:23 -0800 (PST), Craig Stephanski
                  <stephanski@...> wrote:

                  I sleep longer in one position
                  > in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed. That's why I will be
                  > converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room' soon. (provided I can convince
                  > the other half!! )

                  arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                  to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
                  thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                  ride!"