Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammocking through northern TN/NC to Damascus

  • Craig Everhart
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
      ditto
      --- jackiethehiker@... wrote:

      > >Good afternoon Rick,
      > I really enjoy your journals/photos. I have also
      > learned much from you website. Thank you for
      > sharing.
      >
      > Jackie/Repeat
      > > From: "Risk" <ra1@...>
      > > Date: 2004/11/01 Mon PM 12:05:04 EST
      > > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Hammocking through
      > northern TN/NC to Damascus

      ---------------------------------

      I posted the link to my most recent AT section hike at
      Kampfire, but
      there are a couple nice hammock pictures in the
      journal. I slept each
      night in the hammock (exception - night at the Kincora
      Hostel) and had
      a great trip. I especially like the picture of the
      hammock at the
      edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:

      http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • laughingowl1961
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...>
        wrote:
        > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
        > Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
        > that seem to be good canidates.
        >
        > Speer Hammock
        > Hennessey Hammock
        > Clark Jungle Hammock
        > Crazy Creek
        >
        > Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
        > these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?
        >
        > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
        > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
        > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
        > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
        > I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
        > Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
        > stupid question)
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Craig
        >
        > Craig,
        I am new here too, my first post. I have a Hennessy hammock
        and a Clark hammock. I bought the Hennessy first, then bought the
        Clark. Both are very good hammocks in my opinion, but I am more of
        a camper than a hiker and the Clark suits me better. My 4 and 6
        year old kids love the Hennessy hammock. I am 43 and the Clark
        suits me for overnight trips. It is more bulkier and weighs more
        than the Hennessy hammock but I prefer it. I have only read about
        the Speer and Crazy Creek hammocks, but they sound well made also.
        I really like my Clark hammock, out camping or just in the yard, I
        really enjoy it. Being in your 50's and aching joints, I think you
        would appreciate and enjoy a Clark hammock over a Hennessy hammock
        with bottom entry. Just my opinion. And rope hammocks do not
        compare with camping hammocks, least not in my mind.

        Take care,

        Dean_________________
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
          Craig,

          That is a great post for this site and a good list to get started
          with. I'm not sure how to answer it as I haven't been in all the
          available hammocks, I'm not sure I even know the number of different
          hammocks that those four different manufacturers make! Hammock
          camping has been very dynamic in the last few years and significant
          changes are still being made. I know Ed Speer and have read his book
          on Hammock Camping. His book addresses your question, but with his
          obvious bias (I mean, he does make one that he considers is the best)
          and based on the backpacking hammocks available a year or so ago when
          he did his research, designed his own line of hammocks and wrote his
          book.

          With the fundamental differences between some of these hammocks, I
          don't think you will get too many unbiased opinions. Some of these
          features are viewed as godsends by some folks, while others might
          view the same feature as a curse... it is just human nature that with
          some things people will view them entirely differently. There are a
          few folks, myself included, that make their own hammocks based on Ed
          Speers design or designs of their own. It should be noted that a lot
          of these self-designs are dynamic and changes are the norm.

          I recommend that you read Ed's book first just to get an idea of what
          hammock camping entails. It can be found here:
          http://www.speerhammocks.com/ . There is information in the book
          that will be of value to a hammock camper regardless of the hammock
          that they use.

          Youngblood

          wrote:
          > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
          > Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
          > that seem to be good canidates.
          >
          > Speer Hammock
          > Hennessey Hammock
          > Clark Jungle Hammock
          > Crazy Creek
          >
          > Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
          > these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?
          >
          > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
          > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
          > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
          > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
          > I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
          > Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
          > stupid question)
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Craig

          > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          > www.yahoo.com
        • Risk
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
            > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
            >
            > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
            > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
            > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
            > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.

            Craig,

            As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own personal way to a
            hammock. One question that I asked myself was whether I could find
            out if I liked hammock camping without investing an arm and a leg.

            After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came back to that
            question and developed a simple hammock that anyone can build for
            about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a sweetie. Maybe this
            link will be your starting point:

            http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

            Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read Ed's book. It is
            where many of us started.

            Risk
          • Eric Sandberg
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
              Craig,

              Welcome to the club! You sound a lot like me (50's, creaky, stomach
              sleeper, worried about asking stupid questions).

              My terribly biased opinion is that hammock sleeping is so much
              better than on the ground or even a cot. I don't have the aches and
              pains I used to get from sleeping on the hard ground (even with one
              of the expensive, heavy self inflating pads). I started with an
              inexpensive Traveler (by Byer). They're available at EMS (if you
              have one in your area) or Campmor (www.campmor.com). I sewed a
              mosquito net on it and have been using it for about 4 years now.

              I recently got Ed Speer's book and have made a couple from his
              design, altering it with my own thoughts and stealing some ideas
              from the other folks on this board. Spend some time on Risk's site
              and you'll get some good thoughts. His trial hammock is worth ...
              well.. trying.

              You're right that stomach sleeping is not too comfortable in a
              hammock - but then it ain't all that great on the ground either. I
              can sleep sort of 3/4 on my stomach/ side and it's quite comfortable.

              Lastly, feel free to ask all the stupid questions you like. They're
              the only kind most of us can answer - or even understand.

              Happy hanging.

              Eric

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                Thanks Risk for the tip, I'll try it. (I like your
                site)
                Thanks to the others for their comments.
                --- Risk <ra1@...> wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig
                > Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
                > > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                > >
                > > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                > > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep
                > on
                > > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                > > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
                >

                > Craig,
                >
                > As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own
                > personal way to a
                > hammock. One question that I asked myself was
                > whether I could find
                > out if I liked hammock camping without investing an
                > arm and a leg.
                >
                > After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came
                > back to that
                > question and developed a simple hammock that anyone
                > can build for
                > about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a
                > sweetie. Maybe this
                > link will be your starting point:
                >
                > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
                >
                > Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read
                > Ed's book. It is
                > where many of us started.
                >
                > Risk

                Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                www.yahoo.com
              • Craig Stephanski
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                  I have found that although I also like to stomach and side sleep,  the position of your body in the hammock makes me feel that I don't have to get to these positions to be comfortable.  I sleep on my back with one knee bent and then switch knees throughout the night.  I sleep longer in one position in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed.  That's why I will be converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room'  soon.  (provided I can convince the other half!!

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                    Sounds encouraging, I'm going to give it a try.

                    Thank

                  • Banjo Doje
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                      Since I unfortunately have many sleeping disorders, my other half is
                      used to not having me in his bed - and once I was introduced to
                      hammocking, it didn't take me long to convert my bed on the floor to a
                      hammock from the walls! Amazonas are the best I have found for
                      lasting the longest - mine is over a year old and is still holding
                      strong.

                      Jodi

                      On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 14:19:23 -0800 (PST), Craig Stephanski
                      <stephanski@...> wrote:

                      I sleep longer in one position
                      > in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed. That's why I will be
                      > converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room' soon. (provided I can convince
                      > the other half!! )

                      arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                      to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
                      thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                      ride!"