What are the features of different kinds of Hammocks

  • Craig Everhart
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
      I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
      Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
      that seem to be good canidates.

      Speer Hammock
      Hennessey Hammock
      Clark Jungle Hammock
      Crazy Creek

      Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
      these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?

      Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
      body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
      my stomach - that seems out of the question.
      I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
      I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
      Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
      stupid question)

      Thanks in advance.

      Craig

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
    • Craig Everhart
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
        ditto
        --- jackiethehiker@... wrote:

        > >Good afternoon Rick,
        > I really enjoy your journals/photos. I have also
        > learned much from you website. Thank you for
        > sharing.
        >
        > Jackie/Repeat
        > > From: "Risk" <ra1@...>
        > > Date: 2004/11/01 Mon PM 12:05:04 EST
        > > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        > > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Hammocking through
        > northern TN/NC to Damascus

        ---------------------------------

        I posted the link to my most recent AT section hike at
        Kampfire, but
        there are a couple nice hammock pictures in the
        journal. I slept each
        night in the hammock (exception - night at the Kincora
        Hostel) and had
        a great trip. I especially like the picture of the
        hammock at the
        edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:

        http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • laughingowl1961
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...>
          wrote:
          > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
          > Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
          > that seem to be good canidates.
          >
          > Speer Hammock
          > Hennessey Hammock
          > Clark Jungle Hammock
          > Crazy Creek
          >
          > Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
          > these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?
          >
          > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
          > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
          > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
          > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
          > I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
          > Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
          > stupid question)
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Craig
          >
          > Craig,
          I am new here too, my first post. I have a Hennessy hammock
          and a Clark hammock. I bought the Hennessy first, then bought the
          Clark. Both are very good hammocks in my opinion, but I am more of
          a camper than a hiker and the Clark suits me better. My 4 and 6
          year old kids love the Hennessy hammock. I am 43 and the Clark
          suits me for overnight trips. It is more bulkier and weighs more
          than the Hennessy hammock but I prefer it. I have only read about
          the Speer and Crazy Creek hammocks, but they sound well made also.
          I really like my Clark hammock, out camping or just in the yard, I
          really enjoy it. Being in your 50's and aching joints, I think you
          would appreciate and enjoy a Clark hammock over a Hennessy hammock
          with bottom entry. Just my opinion. And rope hammocks do not
          compare with camping hammocks, least not in my mind.

          Take care,

          Dean_________________
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
            Craig,

            That is a great post for this site and a good list to get started
            with. I'm not sure how to answer it as I haven't been in all the
            available hammocks, I'm not sure I even know the number of different
            hammocks that those four different manufacturers make! Hammock
            camping has been very dynamic in the last few years and significant
            changes are still being made. I know Ed Speer and have read his book
            on Hammock Camping. His book addresses your question, but with his
            obvious bias (I mean, he does make one that he considers is the best)
            and based on the backpacking hammocks available a year or so ago when
            he did his research, designed his own line of hammocks and wrote his
            book.

            With the fundamental differences between some of these hammocks, I
            don't think you will get too many unbiased opinions. Some of these
            features are viewed as godsends by some folks, while others might
            view the same feature as a curse... it is just human nature that with
            some things people will view them entirely differently. There are a
            few folks, myself included, that make their own hammocks based on Ed
            Speers design or designs of their own. It should be noted that a lot
            of these self-designs are dynamic and changes are the norm.

            I recommend that you read Ed's book first just to get an idea of what
            hammock camping entails. It can be found here:
            http://www.speerhammocks.com/ . There is information in the book
            that will be of value to a hammock camper regardless of the hammock
            that they use.

            Youngblood

            wrote:
            > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
            > Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
            > that seem to be good canidates.
            >
            > Speer Hammock
            > Hennessey Hammock
            > Clark Jungle Hammock
            > Crazy Creek
            >
            > Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
            > these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?
            >
            > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
            > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
            > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
            > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
            > I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
            > Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
            > stupid question)
            >
            > Thanks in advance.
            >
            > Craig

            > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            > www.yahoo.com
          • Risk
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
              > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
              >
              > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
              > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
              > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
              > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.

              Craig,

              As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own personal way to a
              hammock. One question that I asked myself was whether I could find
              out if I liked hammock camping without investing an arm and a leg.

              After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came back to that
              question and developed a simple hammock that anyone can build for
              about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a sweetie. Maybe this
              link will be your starting point:

              http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

              Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read Ed's book. It is
              where many of us started.

              Risk
            • Eric Sandberg
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
                Craig,

                Welcome to the club! You sound a lot like me (50's, creaky, stomach
                sleeper, worried about asking stupid questions).

                My terribly biased opinion is that hammock sleeping is so much
                better than on the ground or even a cot. I don't have the aches and
                pains I used to get from sleeping on the hard ground (even with one
                of the expensive, heavy self inflating pads). I started with an
                inexpensive Traveler (by Byer). They're available at EMS (if you
                have one in your area) or Campmor (www.campmor.com). I sewed a
                mosquito net on it and have been using it for about 4 years now.

                I recently got Ed Speer's book and have made a couple from his
                design, altering it with my own thoughts and stealing some ideas
                from the other folks on this board. Spend some time on Risk's site
                and you'll get some good thoughts. His trial hammock is worth ...
                well.. trying.

                You're right that stomach sleeping is not too comfortable in a
                hammock - but then it ain't all that great on the ground either. I
                can sleep sort of 3/4 on my stomach/ side and it's quite comfortable.

                Lastly, feel free to ask all the stupid questions you like. They're
                the only kind most of us can answer - or even understand.

                Happy hanging.

                Eric

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                  Thanks Risk for the tip, I'll try it. (I like your
                  site)
                  Thanks to the others for their comments.
                  --- Risk <ra1@...> wrote:

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig
                  > Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
                  > > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                  > >
                  > > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                  > > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep
                  > on
                  > > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                  > > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
                  >

                  > Craig,
                  >
                  > As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own
                  > personal way to a
                  > hammock. One question that I asked myself was
                  > whether I could find
                  > out if I liked hammock camping without investing an
                  > arm and a leg.
                  >
                  > After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came
                  > back to that
                  > question and developed a simple hammock that anyone
                  > can build for
                  > about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a
                  > sweetie. Maybe this
                  > link will be your starting point:
                  >
                  > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
                  >
                  > Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read
                  > Ed's book. It is
                  > where many of us started.
                  >
                  > Risk

                  Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                  www.yahoo.com
                • Craig Stephanski
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                    I have found that although I also like to stomach and side sleep,  the position of your body in the hammock makes me feel that I don't have to get to these positions to be comfortable.  I sleep on my back with one knee bent and then switch knees throughout the night.  I sleep longer in one position in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed.  That's why I will be converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room'  soon.  (provided I can convince the other half!!

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                      Sounds encouraging, I'm going to give it a try.

                      Thank

                    • Banjo Doje
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                        Since I unfortunately have many sleeping disorders, my other half is
                        used to not having me in his bed - and once I was introduced to
                        hammocking, it didn't take me long to convert my bed on the floor to a
                        hammock from the walls! Amazonas are the best I have found for
                        lasting the longest - mine is over a year old and is still holding
                        strong.

                        Jodi

                        On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 14:19:23 -0800 (PST), Craig Stephanski
                        <stephanski@...> wrote:

                        I sleep longer in one position
                        > in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed. That's why I will be
                        > converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room' soon. (provided I can convince
                        > the other half!! )

                        arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                        to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
                        thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                        ride!"