Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammocking through northern TN/NC to Damascus

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
      Shane Steinkamp wrote:

      >>I especially like the picture of the hammock at the
      >>edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:
      >>
      >>http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm
      >>

      >Yeah. It's seeing stuff like that which lowers my self esteem.
      >
      >Shane

      LOL! I liked the hammock pic and the one of the sunrise enough to put
      them on the main home page. You really liked the little quip about just
      using "a box camera" didn't ya?

      Rick
    • Craig Everhart
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
        I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
        Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
        that seem to be good canidates.

        Speer Hammock
        Hennessey Hammock
        Clark Jungle Hammock
        Crazy Creek

        Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
        these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?

        Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
        body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
        my stomach - that seems out of the question.
        I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
        I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
        Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
        stupid question)

        Thanks in advance.

        Craig

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • Craig Everhart
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
          ditto
          --- jackiethehiker@... wrote:

          > >Good afternoon Rick,
          > I really enjoy your journals/photos. I have also
          > learned much from you website. Thank you for
          > sharing.
          >
          > Jackie/Repeat
          > > From: "Risk" <ra1@...>
          > > Date: 2004/11/01 Mon PM 12:05:04 EST
          > > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
          > > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Hammocking through
          > northern TN/NC to Damascus

          ---------------------------------

          I posted the link to my most recent AT section hike at
          Kampfire, but
          there are a couple nice hammock pictures in the
          journal. I slept each
          night in the hammock (exception - night at the Kincora
          Hostel) and had
          a great trip. I especially like the picture of the
          hammock at the
          edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:

          http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • laughingowl1961
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...>
            wrote:
            > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
            > Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
            > that seem to be good canidates.
            >
            > Speer Hammock
            > Hennessey Hammock
            > Clark Jungle Hammock
            > Crazy Creek
            >
            > Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
            > these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?
            >
            > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
            > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
            > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
            > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
            > I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
            > Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
            > stupid question)
            >
            > Thanks in advance.
            >
            > Craig
            >
            > Craig,
            I am new here too, my first post. I have a Hennessy hammock
            and a Clark hammock. I bought the Hennessy first, then bought the
            Clark. Both are very good hammocks in my opinion, but I am more of
            a camper than a hiker and the Clark suits me better. My 4 and 6
            year old kids love the Hennessy hammock. I am 43 and the Clark
            suits me for overnight trips. It is more bulkier and weighs more
            than the Hennessy hammock but I prefer it. I have only read about
            the Speer and Crazy Creek hammocks, but they sound well made also.
            I really like my Clark hammock, out camping or just in the yard, I
            really enjoy it. Being in your 50's and aching joints, I think you
            would appreciate and enjoy a Clark hammock over a Hennessy hammock
            with bottom entry. Just my opinion. And rope hammocks do not
            compare with camping hammocks, least not in my mind.

            Take care,

            Dean_________________
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
              Craig,

              That is a great post for this site and a good list to get started
              with. I'm not sure how to answer it as I haven't been in all the
              available hammocks, I'm not sure I even know the number of different
              hammocks that those four different manufacturers make! Hammock
              camping has been very dynamic in the last few years and significant
              changes are still being made. I know Ed Speer and have read his book
              on Hammock Camping. His book addresses your question, but with his
              obvious bias (I mean, he does make one that he considers is the best)
              and based on the backpacking hammocks available a year or so ago when
              he did his research, designed his own line of hammocks and wrote his
              book.

              With the fundamental differences between some of these hammocks, I
              don't think you will get too many unbiased opinions. Some of these
              features are viewed as godsends by some folks, while others might
              view the same feature as a curse... it is just human nature that with
              some things people will view them entirely differently. There are a
              few folks, myself included, that make their own hammocks based on Ed
              Speers design or designs of their own. It should be noted that a lot
              of these self-designs are dynamic and changes are the norm.

              I recommend that you read Ed's book first just to get an idea of what
              hammock camping entails. It can be found here:
              http://www.speerhammocks.com/ . There is information in the book
              that will be of value to a hammock camper regardless of the hammock
              that they use.

              Youngblood

              wrote:
              > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
              > Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
              > that seem to be good canidates.
              >
              > Speer Hammock
              > Hennessey Hammock
              > Clark Jungle Hammock
              > Crazy Creek
              >
              > Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
              > these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?
              >
              > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
              > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
              > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
              > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
              > I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
              > Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
              > stupid question)
              >
              > Thanks in advance.
              >
              > Craig

              > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
              > www.yahoo.com
            • Risk
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
                > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                >
                > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
                > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.

                Craig,

                As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own personal way to a
                hammock. One question that I asked myself was whether I could find
                out if I liked hammock camping without investing an arm and a leg.

                After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came back to that
                question and developed a simple hammock that anyone can build for
                about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a sweetie. Maybe this
                link will be your starting point:

                http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

                Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read Ed's book. It is
                where many of us started.

                Risk
              • Eric Sandberg
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Craig,

                  Welcome to the club! You sound a lot like me (50's, creaky, stomach
                  sleeper, worried about asking stupid questions).

                  My terribly biased opinion is that hammock sleeping is so much
                  better than on the ground or even a cot. I don't have the aches and
                  pains I used to get from sleeping on the hard ground (even with one
                  of the expensive, heavy self inflating pads). I started with an
                  inexpensive Traveler (by Byer). They're available at EMS (if you
                  have one in your area) or Campmor (www.campmor.com). I sewed a
                  mosquito net on it and have been using it for about 4 years now.

                  I recently got Ed Speer's book and have made a couple from his
                  design, altering it with my own thoughts and stealing some ideas
                  from the other folks on this board. Spend some time on Risk's site
                  and you'll get some good thoughts. His trial hammock is worth ...
                  well.. trying.

                  You're right that stomach sleeping is not too comfortable in a
                  hammock - but then it ain't all that great on the ground either. I
                  can sleep sort of 3/4 on my stomach/ side and it's quite comfortable.

                  Lastly, feel free to ask all the stupid questions you like. They're
                  the only kind most of us can answer - or even understand.

                  Happy hanging.

                  Eric

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                    Thanks Risk for the tip, I'll try it. (I like your
                    site)
                    Thanks to the others for their comments.
                    --- Risk <ra1@...> wrote:

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig
                    > Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
                    > > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                    > >
                    > > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                    > > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep
                    > on
                    > > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                    > > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
                    >

                    > Craig,
                    >
                    > As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own
                    > personal way to a
                    > hammock. One question that I asked myself was
                    > whether I could find
                    > out if I liked hammock camping without investing an
                    > arm and a leg.
                    >
                    > After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came
                    > back to that
                    > question and developed a simple hammock that anyone
                    > can build for
                    > about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a
                    > sweetie. Maybe this
                    > link will be your starting point:
                    >
                    > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
                    >
                    > Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read
                    > Ed's book. It is
                    > where many of us started.
                    >
                    > Risk

                    Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                    www.yahoo.com
                  • Craig Stephanski
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                      I have found that although I also like to stomach and side sleep,  the position of your body in the hammock makes me feel that I don't have to get to these positions to be comfortable.  I sleep on my back with one knee bent and then switch knees throughout the night.  I sleep longer in one position in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed.  That's why I will be converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room'  soon.  (provided I can convince the other half!!

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                        Sounds encouraging, I'm going to give it a try.

                        Thank

                      • Banjo Doje
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                          Since I unfortunately have many sleeping disorders, my other half is
                          used to not having me in his bed - and once I was introduced to
                          hammocking, it didn't take me long to convert my bed on the floor to a
                          hammock from the walls! Amazonas are the best I have found for
                          lasting the longest - mine is over a year old and is still holding
                          strong.

                          Jodi

                          On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 14:19:23 -0800 (PST), Craig Stephanski
                          <stephanski@...> wrote:

                          I sleep longer in one position
                          > in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed. That's why I will be
                          > converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room' soon. (provided I can convince
                          > the other half!! )

                          arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                          to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
                          thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                          ride!"