RE: [Hammock Camping] Hammocking through northern TN/NC to Damascus

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
      > I especially like the picture of the hammock at the
      > edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:
      >
      > http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm

      Yeah. It's seeing stuff like that which lowers my self esteem.

      Shane
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
        Shane Steinkamp wrote:

        >>I especially like the picture of the hammock at the
        >>edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:
        >>
        >>http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm
        >>

        >Yeah. It's seeing stuff like that which lowers my self esteem.
        >
        >Shane

        LOL! I liked the hammock pic and the one of the sunrise enough to put
        them on the main home page. You really liked the little quip about just
        using "a box camera" didn't ya?

        Rick
      • Craig Everhart
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
          I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
          Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
          that seem to be good canidates.

          Speer Hammock
          Hennessey Hammock
          Clark Jungle Hammock
          Crazy Creek

          Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
          these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?

          Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
          body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
          my stomach - that seems out of the question.
          I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
          I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
          Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
          stupid question)

          Thanks in advance.

          Craig

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • Craig Everhart
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
            ditto
            --- jackiethehiker@... wrote:

            > >Good afternoon Rick,
            > I really enjoy your journals/photos. I have also
            > learned much from you website. Thank you for
            > sharing.
            >
            > Jackie/Repeat
            > > From: "Risk" <ra1@...>
            > > Date: 2004/11/01 Mon PM 12:05:04 EST
            > > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
            > > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Hammocking through
            > northern TN/NC to Damascus

            ---------------------------------

            I posted the link to my most recent AT section hike at
            Kampfire, but
            there are a couple nice hammock pictures in the
            journal. I slept each
            night in the hammock (exception - night at the Kincora
            Hostel) and had
            a great trip. I especially like the picture of the
            hammock at the
            edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:

            http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • laughingowl1961
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...>
              wrote:
              > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
              > Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
              > that seem to be good canidates.
              >
              > Speer Hammock
              > Hennessey Hammock
              > Clark Jungle Hammock
              > Crazy Creek
              >
              > Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
              > these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?
              >
              > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
              > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
              > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
              > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
              > I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
              > Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
              > stupid question)
              >
              > Thanks in advance.
              >
              > Craig
              >
              > Craig,
              I am new here too, my first post. I have a Hennessy hammock
              and a Clark hammock. I bought the Hennessy first, then bought the
              Clark. Both are very good hammocks in my opinion, but I am more of
              a camper than a hiker and the Clark suits me better. My 4 and 6
              year old kids love the Hennessy hammock. I am 43 and the Clark
              suits me for overnight trips. It is more bulkier and weighs more
              than the Hennessy hammock but I prefer it. I have only read about
              the Speer and Crazy Creek hammocks, but they sound well made also.
              I really like my Clark hammock, out camping or just in the yard, I
              really enjoy it. Being in your 50's and aching joints, I think you
              would appreciate and enjoy a Clark hammock over a Hennessy hammock
              with bottom entry. Just my opinion. And rope hammocks do not
              compare with camping hammocks, least not in my mind.

              Take care,

              Dean_________________
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
                Craig,

                That is a great post for this site and a good list to get started
                with. I'm not sure how to answer it as I haven't been in all the
                available hammocks, I'm not sure I even know the number of different
                hammocks that those four different manufacturers make! Hammock
                camping has been very dynamic in the last few years and significant
                changes are still being made. I know Ed Speer and have read his book
                on Hammock Camping. His book addresses your question, but with his
                obvious bias (I mean, he does make one that he considers is the best)
                and based on the backpacking hammocks available a year or so ago when
                he did his research, designed his own line of hammocks and wrote his
                book.

                With the fundamental differences between some of these hammocks, I
                don't think you will get too many unbiased opinions. Some of these
                features are viewed as godsends by some folks, while others might
                view the same feature as a curse... it is just human nature that with
                some things people will view them entirely differently. There are a
                few folks, myself included, that make their own hammocks based on Ed
                Speers design or designs of their own. It should be noted that a lot
                of these self-designs are dynamic and changes are the norm.

                I recommend that you read Ed's book first just to get an idea of what
                hammock camping entails. It can be found here:
                http://www.speerhammocks.com/ . There is information in the book
                that will be of value to a hammock camper regardless of the hammock
                that they use.

                Youngblood

                wrote:
                > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                > Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
                > that seem to be good canidates.
                >
                > Speer Hammock
                > Hennessey Hammock
                > Clark Jungle Hammock
                > Crazy Creek
                >
                > Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
                > these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?
                >
                > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
                > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
                > I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
                > Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
                > stupid question)
                >
                > Thanks in advance.
                >
                > Craig

                > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                > www.yahoo.com
              • Risk
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
                  > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                  >
                  > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                  > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
                  > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                  > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.

                  Craig,

                  As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own personal way to a
                  hammock. One question that I asked myself was whether I could find
                  out if I liked hammock camping without investing an arm and a leg.

                  After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came back to that
                  question and developed a simple hammock that anyone can build for
                  about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a sweetie. Maybe this
                  link will be your starting point:

                  http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

                  Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read Ed's book. It is
                  where many of us started.

                  Risk
                • Eric Sandberg
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
                    Craig,

                    Welcome to the club! You sound a lot like me (50's, creaky, stomach
                    sleeper, worried about asking stupid questions).

                    My terribly biased opinion is that hammock sleeping is so much
                    better than on the ground or even a cot. I don't have the aches and
                    pains I used to get from sleeping on the hard ground (even with one
                    of the expensive, heavy self inflating pads). I started with an
                    inexpensive Traveler (by Byer). They're available at EMS (if you
                    have one in your area) or Campmor (www.campmor.com). I sewed a
                    mosquito net on it and have been using it for about 4 years now.

                    I recently got Ed Speer's book and have made a couple from his
                    design, altering it with my own thoughts and stealing some ideas
                    from the other folks on this board. Spend some time on Risk's site
                    and you'll get some good thoughts. His trial hammock is worth ...
                    well.. trying.

                    You're right that stomach sleeping is not too comfortable in a
                    hammock - but then it ain't all that great on the ground either. I
                    can sleep sort of 3/4 on my stomach/ side and it's quite comfortable.

                    Lastly, feel free to ask all the stupid questions you like. They're
                    the only kind most of us can answer - or even understand.

                    Happy hanging.

                    Eric

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                      Thanks Risk for the tip, I'll try it. (I like your
                      site)
                      Thanks to the others for their comments.
                      --- Risk <ra1@...> wrote:

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig
                      > Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
                      > > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                      > >
                      > > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                      > > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep
                      > on
                      > > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                      > > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
                      >

                      > Craig,
                      >
                      > As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own
                      > personal way to a
                      > hammock. One question that I asked myself was
                      > whether I could find
                      > out if I liked hammock camping without investing an
                      > arm and a leg.
                      >
                      > After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came
                      > back to that
                      > question and developed a simple hammock that anyone
                      > can build for
                      > about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a
                      > sweetie. Maybe this
                      > link will be your starting point:
                      >
                      > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
                      >
                      > Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read
                      > Ed's book. It is
                      > where many of us started.
                      >
                      > Risk

                      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                      www.yahoo.com
                    • Craig Stephanski
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                        I have found that although I also like to stomach and side sleep,  the position of your body in the hammock makes me feel that I don't have to get to these positions to be comfortable.  I sleep on my back with one knee bent and then switch knees throughout the night.  I sleep longer in one position in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed.  That's why I will be converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room'  soon.  (provided I can convince the other half!!

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                          Sounds encouraging, I'm going to give it a try.

                          Thank

                        • Banjo Doje
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                            Since I unfortunately have many sleeping disorders, my other half is
                            used to not having me in his bed - and once I was introduced to
                            hammocking, it didn't take me long to convert my bed on the floor to a
                            hammock from the walls! Amazonas are the best I have found for
                            lasting the longest - mine is over a year old and is still holding
                            strong.

                            Jodi

                            On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 14:19:23 -0800 (PST), Craig Stephanski
                            <stephanski@...> wrote:

                            I sleep longer in one position
                            > in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed. That's why I will be
                            > converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room' soon. (provided I can convince
                            > the other half!! )

                            arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                            to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
                            thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                            ride!"