Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammocking through northern TN/NC to Damascus

  • Nazdarovye
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
      Nice photos - I especially like the shot of the hammock overlooking the
      lakes and valley, and the "Christmas tree".

      On Nov 1, 2004, at 9:05 AM, Risk wrote:

      > I posted the link to my most recent AT section hike at Kampfire, but
      > there are a couple nice hammock pictures in the journal. I slept each
      > night in the hammock (exception - night at the Kincora Hostel) and had
      > a great trip. I especially like the picture of the hammock at the
      > edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nazdarovye <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
        > Nice photos - I especially like the shot of the hammock overlooking the
        > lakes and valley, and the "Christmas tree".

        Thanks Steve!

        Rick
      • jackiethehiker@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004

          I posted the link to my most recent AT section hike at Kampfire, but
          there are a couple nice hammock pictures in the journal.  I slept each
          night in the hammock (exception - night at the Kincora Hostel) and had
          a great trip.  I especially like the picture of the hammock at the
          edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:

          http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm

          Rick

        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
            > I especially like the picture of the hammock at the
            > edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:
            >
            > http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm

            Yeah. It's seeing stuff like that which lowers my self esteem.

            Shane
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
              Shane Steinkamp wrote:

              >>I especially like the picture of the hammock at the
              >>edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:
              >>
              >>http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm
              >>

              >Yeah. It's seeing stuff like that which lowers my self esteem.
              >
              >Shane

              LOL! I liked the hammock pic and the one of the sunrise enough to put
              them on the main home page. You really liked the little quip about just
              using "a box camera" didn't ya?

              Rick
            • Craig Everhart
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
                I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
                that seem to be good canidates.

                Speer Hammock
                Hennessey Hammock
                Clark Jungle Hammock
                Crazy Creek

                Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
                these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?

                Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
                my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
                I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
                Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
                stupid question)

                Thanks in advance.

                Craig

                Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                www.yahoo.com
              • Craig Everhart
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
                  ditto

                  ---------------------------------

                  I posted the link to my most recent AT section hike at
                  Kampfire, but
                  there are a couple nice hammock pictures in the
                  journal. I slept each
                  night in the hammock (exception - night at the Kincora
                  Hostel) and had
                  a great trip. I especially like the picture of the
                  hammock at the
                  edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:

                  http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • laughingowl1961
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                    > Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
                    > that seem to be good canidates.
                    >
                    > Speer Hammock
                    > Hennessey Hammock
                    > Clark Jungle Hammock
                    > Crazy Creek
                    >
                    > Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
                    > these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?
                    >
                    > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                    > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
                    > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                    > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
                    > I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
                    > Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
                    > stupid question)
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance.
                    >
                    > Craig
                    >
                    > Craig,
                    I am new here too, my first post. I have a Hennessy hammock
                    and a Clark hammock. I bought the Hennessy first, then bought the
                    Clark. Both are very good hammocks in my opinion, but I am more of
                    a camper than a hiker and the Clark suits me better. My 4 and 6
                    year old kids love the Hennessy hammock. I am 43 and the Clark
                    suits me for overnight trips. It is more bulkier and weighs more
                    than the Hennessy hammock but I prefer it. I have only read about
                    the Speer and Crazy Creek hammocks, but they sound well made also.
                    I really like my Clark hammock, out camping or just in the yard, I
                    really enjoy it. Being in your 50's and aching joints, I think you
                    would appreciate and enjoy a Clark hammock over a Hennessy hammock
                    with bottom entry. Just my opinion. And rope hammocks do not
                    compare with camping hammocks, least not in my mind.

                    Take care,

                    Dean_________________
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
                      Craig,

                      That is a great post for this site and a good list to get started
                      with. I'm not sure how to answer it as I haven't been in all the
                      available hammocks, I'm not sure I even know the number of different
                      hammocks that those four different manufacturers make! Hammock
                      camping has been very dynamic in the last few years and significant
                      changes are still being made. I know Ed Speer and have read his book
                      on Hammock Camping. His book addresses your question, but with his
                      obvious bias (I mean, he does make one that he considers is the best)
                      and based on the backpacking hammocks available a year or so ago when
                      he did his research, designed his own line of hammocks and wrote his
                      book.

                      With the fundamental differences between some of these hammocks, I
                      don't think you will get too many unbiased opinions. Some of these
                      features are viewed as godsends by some folks, while others might
                      view the same feature as a curse... it is just human nature that with
                      some things people will view them entirely differently. There are a
                      few folks, myself included, that make their own hammocks based on Ed
                      Speers design or designs of their own. It should be noted that a lot
                      of these self-designs are dynamic and changes are the norm.

                      I recommend that you read Ed's book first just to get an idea of what
                      hammock camping entails. It can be found here:
                      http://www.speerhammocks.com/ . There is information in the book
                      that will be of value to a hammock camper regardless of the hammock
                      that they use.

                      Youngblood

                      wrote:
                      > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                      > Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
                      > that seem to be good canidates.
                      >
                      > Speer Hammock
                      > Hennessey Hammock
                      > Clark Jungle Hammock
                      > Crazy Creek
                      >
                      > Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
                      > these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?
                      >
                      > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                      > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
                      > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                      > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
                      > I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
                      > Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
                      > stupid question)
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance.
                      >
                      > Craig

                      > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                      > www.yahoo.com
                    • Risk
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
                        > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                        >
                        > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                        > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
                        > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                        > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.

                        Craig,

                        As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own personal way to a
                        hammock. One question that I asked myself was whether I could find
                        out if I liked hammock camping without investing an arm and a leg.

                        After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came back to that
                        question and developed a simple hammock that anyone can build for
                        about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a sweetie. Maybe this
                        link will be your starting point:

                        http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

                        Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read Ed's book. It is
                        where many of us started.

                        Risk
                      • Eric Sandberg
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
                          Craig,

                          Welcome to the club! You sound a lot like me (50's, creaky, stomach
                          sleeper, worried about asking stupid questions).

                          My terribly biased opinion is that hammock sleeping is so much
                          better than on the ground or even a cot. I don't have the aches and
                          pains I used to get from sleeping on the hard ground (even with one
                          of the expensive, heavy self inflating pads). I started with an
                          inexpensive Traveler (by Byer). They're available at EMS (if you
                          have one in your area) or Campmor (www.campmor.com). I sewed a
                          mosquito net on it and have been using it for about 4 years now.

                          I recently got Ed Speer's book and have made a couple from his
                          design, altering it with my own thoughts and stealing some ideas
                          from the other folks on this board. Spend some time on Risk's site
                          and you'll get some good thoughts. His trial hammock is worth ...
                          well.. trying.

                          You're right that stomach sleeping is not too comfortable in a
                          hammock - but then it ain't all that great on the ground either. I
                          can sleep sort of 3/4 on my stomach/ side and it's quite comfortable.

                          Lastly, feel free to ask all the stupid questions you like. They're
                          the only kind most of us can answer - or even understand.

                          Happy hanging.

                          Eric

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                            Thanks Risk for the tip, I'll try it. (I like your
                            site)
                            Thanks to the others for their comments.
                            --- Risk <ra1@...> wrote:

                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig
                            > Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
                            > > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                            > >
                            > > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                            > > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep
                            > on
                            > > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                            > > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
                            >

                            > Craig,
                            >
                            > As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own
                            > personal way to a
                            > hammock. One question that I asked myself was
                            > whether I could find
                            > out if I liked hammock camping without investing an
                            > arm and a leg.
                            >
                            > After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came
                            > back to that
                            > question and developed a simple hammock that anyone
                            > can build for
                            > about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a
                            > sweetie. Maybe this
                            > link will be your starting point:
                            >
                            > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
                            >
                            > Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read
                            > Ed's book. It is
                            > where many of us started.
                            >
                            > Risk

                            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                            www.yahoo.com
                          • Craig Stephanski
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                              I have found that although I also like to stomach and side sleep,  the position of your body in the hammock makes me feel that I don't have to get to these positions to be comfortable.  I sleep on my back with one knee bent and then switch knees throughout the night.  I sleep longer in one position in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed.  That's why I will be converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room'  soon.  (provided I can convince the other half!!

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                                Sounds encouraging, I'm going to give it a try.

                                Thank

                              • Banjo Doje
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                                  Since I unfortunately have many sleeping disorders, my other half is
                                  used to not having me in his bed - and once I was introduced to
                                  hammocking, it didn't take me long to convert my bed on the floor to a
                                  hammock from the walls! Amazonas are the best I have found for
                                  lasting the longest - mine is over a year old and is still holding
                                  strong.

                                  Jodi

                                  On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 14:19:23 -0800 (PST), Craig Stephanski
                                  <stephanski@...> wrote:

                                  I sleep longer in one position
                                  > in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed. That's why I will be
                                  > converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room' soon. (provided I can convince
                                  > the other half!! )

                                  arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                                  to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
                                  thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                                  ride!"