Hammocking through northern TN/NC to Damascus

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
      I posted the link to my most recent AT section hike at Kampfire, but
      there are a couple nice hammock pictures in the journal. I slept each
      night in the hammock (exception - night at the Kincora Hostel) and had
      a great trip. I especially like the picture of the hammock at the
      edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:

      http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm

      Rick
    • Nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
        Nice photos - I especially like the shot of the hammock overlooking the
        lakes and valley, and the "Christmas tree".

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Nazdarovye <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
          > Nice photos - I especially like the shot of the hammock overlooking the
          > lakes and valley, and the "Christmas tree".

          Thanks Steve!

          Rick
        • jackiethehiker@bellsouth.net

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
              > I especially like the picture of the hammock at the
              > edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:
              >
              > http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm

              Yeah. It's seeing stuff like that which lowers my self esteem.

              Shane
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
                Shane Steinkamp wrote:

                >>I especially like the picture of the hammock at the
                >>edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:
                >>
                >>http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm
                >>

                >Yeah. It's seeing stuff like that which lowers my self esteem.
                >
                >Shane

                LOL! I liked the hammock pic and the one of the sunrise enough to put
                them on the main home page. You really liked the little quip about just
                using "a box camera" didn't ya?

                Rick
              • Craig Everhart
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
                  I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                  Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
                  that seem to be good canidates.

                  Speer Hammock
                  Hennessey Hammock
                  Clark Jungle Hammock
                  Crazy Creek

                  Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
                  these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?

                  Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                  body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
                  my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                  I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
                  I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
                  Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
                  stupid question)

                  Thanks in advance.

                  Craig

                  Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                  www.yahoo.com
                • Craig Everhart
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
                    ditto

                    ---------------------------------

                    I posted the link to my most recent AT section hike at
                    Kampfire, but
                    there are a couple nice hammock pictures in the
                    journal. I slept each
                    night in the hammock (exception - night at the Kincora
                    Hostel) and had
                    a great trip. I especially like the picture of the
                    hammock at the
                    edge of the drop-off at the Vandeventer Shelter:

                    http://www.imrisk.com/atdamascus/atdamascus.htm

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • laughingowl1961
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                      > Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
                      > that seem to be good canidates.
                      >
                      > Speer Hammock
                      > Hennessey Hammock
                      > Clark Jungle Hammock
                      > Crazy Creek
                      >
                      > Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
                      > these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?
                      >
                      > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                      > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
                      > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                      > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
                      > I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
                      > Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
                      > stupid question)
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance.
                      >
                      > Craig
                      >
                      > Craig,
                      I am new here too, my first post. I have a Hennessy hammock
                      and a Clark hammock. I bought the Hennessy first, then bought the
                      Clark. Both are very good hammocks in my opinion, but I am more of
                      a camper than a hiker and the Clark suits me better. My 4 and 6
                      year old kids love the Hennessy hammock. I am 43 and the Clark
                      suits me for overnight trips. It is more bulkier and weighs more
                      than the Hennessy hammock but I prefer it. I have only read about
                      the Speer and Crazy Creek hammocks, but they sound well made also.
                      I really like my Clark hammock, out camping or just in the yard, I
                      really enjoy it. Being in your 50's and aching joints, I think you
                      would appreciate and enjoy a Clark hammock over a Hennessy hammock
                      with bottom entry. Just my opinion. And rope hammocks do not
                      compare with camping hammocks, least not in my mind.

                      Take care,

                      Dean_________________
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
                        Craig,

                        That is a great post for this site and a good list to get started
                        with. I'm not sure how to answer it as I haven't been in all the
                        available hammocks, I'm not sure I even know the number of different
                        hammocks that those four different manufacturers make! Hammock
                        camping has been very dynamic in the last few years and significant
                        changes are still being made. I know Ed Speer and have read his book
                        on Hammock Camping. His book addresses your question, but with his
                        obvious bias (I mean, he does make one that he considers is the best)
                        and based on the backpacking hammocks available a year or so ago when
                        he did his research, designed his own line of hammocks and wrote his
                        book.

                        With the fundamental differences between some of these hammocks, I
                        don't think you will get too many unbiased opinions. Some of these
                        features are viewed as godsends by some folks, while others might
                        view the same feature as a curse... it is just human nature that with
                        some things people will view them entirely differently. There are a
                        few folks, myself included, that make their own hammocks based on Ed
                        Speers design or designs of their own. It should be noted that a lot
                        of these self-designs are dynamic and changes are the norm.

                        I recommend that you read Ed's book first just to get an idea of what
                        hammock camping entails. It can be found here:
                        http://www.speerhammocks.com/ . There is information in the book
                        that will be of value to a hammock camper regardless of the hammock
                        that they use.

                        Youngblood

                        wrote:
                        > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                        > Looking around the web I have found several Hammocks
                        > that seem to be good canidates.
                        >
                        > Speer Hammock
                        > Hennessey Hammock
                        > Clark Jungle Hammock
                        > Crazy Creek
                        >
                        > Does anyone have an opinion on the relative merits of
                        > these hammocks? What would you recommend to a newbie?
                        >
                        > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                        > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
                        > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                        > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
                        > I have never been too comfortable in a rope hammock.
                        > Is there a difference? (I have a feeling that's a
                        > stupid question)
                        >
                        > Thanks in advance.
                        >
                        > Craig

                        > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                        > www.yahoo.com
                      • Risk
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
                          > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                          >
                          > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                          > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep on
                          > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                          > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.

                          Craig,

                          As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own personal way to a
                          hammock. One question that I asked myself was whether I could find
                          out if I liked hammock camping without investing an arm and a leg.

                          After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came back to that
                          question and developed a simple hammock that anyone can build for
                          about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a sweetie. Maybe this
                          link will be your starting point:

                          http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

                          Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read Ed's book. It is
                          where many of us started.

                          Risk
                        • Eric Sandberg
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
                            Craig,

                            Welcome to the club! You sound a lot like me (50's, creaky, stomach
                            sleeper, worried about asking stupid questions).

                            My terribly biased opinion is that hammock sleeping is so much
                            better than on the ground or even a cot. I don't have the aches and
                            pains I used to get from sleeping on the hard ground (even with one
                            of the expensive, heavy self inflating pads). I started with an
                            inexpensive Traveler (by Byer). They're available at EMS (if you
                            have one in your area) or Campmor (www.campmor.com). I sewed a
                            mosquito net on it and have been using it for about 4 years now.

                            I recently got Ed Speer's book and have made a couple from his
                            design, altering it with my own thoughts and stealing some ideas
                            from the other folks on this board. Spend some time on Risk's site
                            and you'll get some good thoughts. His trial hammock is worth ...
                            well.. trying.

                            You're right that stomach sleeping is not too comfortable in a
                            hammock - but then it ain't all that great on the ground either. I
                            can sleep sort of 3/4 on my stomach/ side and it's quite comfortable.

                            Lastly, feel free to ask all the stupid questions you like. They're
                            the only kind most of us can answer - or even understand.

                            Happy hanging.

                            Eric

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                              Thanks Risk for the tip, I'll try it. (I like your
                              site)
                              Thanks to the others for their comments.
                              --- Risk <ra1@...> wrote:

                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig
                              > Everhart <_craig@y...> wrote:
                              > > I am an interested beginner in Hammock camping.
                              > >
                              > > Does sleeping in a hammock do weird things to your
                              > > body? Can you sleep on your side? I like to sleep
                              > on
                              > > my stomach - that seems out of the question.
                              > > I am in my 50's and getting a bit arthritic.
                              >

                              > Craig,
                              >
                              > As Youngblood wrote, everyone reacts in their own
                              > personal way to a
                              > hammock. One question that I asked myself was
                              > whether I could find
                              > out if I liked hammock camping without investing an
                              > arm and a leg.
                              >
                              > After I had worked with hammocks for a while, I came
                              > back to that
                              > question and developed a simple hammock that anyone
                              > can build for
                              > about the cost of going out to McDonalds with a
                              > sweetie. Maybe this
                              > link will be your starting point:
                              >
                              > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
                              >
                              > Oh, and I agree with Dave's strong advice to read
                              > Ed's book. It is
                              > where many of us started.
                              >
                              > Risk

                              Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                              www.yahoo.com
                            • Craig Stephanski
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                                I have found that although I also like to stomach and side sleep,  the position of your body in the hammock makes me feel that I don't have to get to these positions to be comfortable.  I sleep on my back with one knee bent and then switch knees throughout the night.  I sleep longer in one position in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed.  That's why I will be converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room'  soon.  (provided I can convince the other half!!

                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                                  Sounds encouraging, I'm going to give it a try.

                                  Thank

                                • Banjo Doje
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 6, 2004
                                    Since I unfortunately have many sleeping disorders, my other half is
                                    used to not having me in his bed - and once I was introduced to
                                    hammocking, it didn't take me long to convert my bed on the floor to a
                                    hammock from the walls! Amazonas are the best I have found for
                                    lasting the longest - mine is over a year old and is still holding
                                    strong.

                                    Jodi

                                    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 14:19:23 -0800 (PST), Craig Stephanski
                                    <stephanski@...> wrote:

                                    I sleep longer in one position
                                    > in a hammock than I can ever sleep on a bed. That's why I will be
                                    > converting the bedroom to a 'hammock room' soon. (provided I can convince
                                    > the other half!! )

                                    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                                    to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
                                    thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                                    ride!"