Re: Big Agnes Zirkel used in hammock down to 20F

  • biker135803 <pjbucca@comcast.net>
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 23, 2003
      Dean,
      Sounds like you are using the fleece/reflectix combo with a
      closed cell pad much like Tom describes. What kind of closed cell
      foam pad are you using and how thick is it?
      I use Toms fleece/reflectix/closed cell pad combo in a TNF Blue
      Kazoo and am comfortable down to about 35F and the combo is the
      limiting factor, not the sleeping bag. If your combo is similar to
      what Tom describes, I guess I'm a bit puzzled because the only
      difference between your system and mine is the sleeping bag-or am I
      confused? Show me the error in my ways.
      Later, Paul
    • drdlm <drdlm@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2003
        Paul:
        Actually, I wear fleece in my set up. I wear fleece tops and bottoms
        rather than put fleece in with the other two pads. The closed cell
        pad measures about 1/2" in thickness and the Big Agnes Zirkel bag is
        rated to 20 degrees. By using the Zirkels envelope to put the pads
        into may make a difference since you don't have to try and position
        your sleeping bag on top of the pads. As you move, the pads move with
        you. I have used this combination now on two late season trips into
        the Washington cascades where the elevation on both trips exceeded
        6800 feet and the temps dropped into the teens (not factoring in wind
        chill) I was toasty warm. If you want a little more info about one
        of the trips you can access it here:
        http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1117
        This story has some info about our HH camping in the Enchantment area
        and a couple pics attached to the story. I also have several pics
        that you can access with this first one showing the two pads as I had
        packed them on one of my trips:
        http://171.64.169.61/.sp/misc/gears...p_with_pads.JPG or you can
        read the thread at Sgt Rock's here:
        http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=356
        Anyway, my system remains this: Big Agnes Zirkel / reflectix pad (cut
        to fit Big Agnes envelope / closed cell foam pad 1/2" thick (cut to
        fit) I wear the fleece tops/bottoms and this system worked great for
        me. Hopefully I have answered your question.
        Dean

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "biker135803 <pjbucca@c...>"
      • drdlm <drdlm@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24, 2003
          I've placed a few photos in the photo pages and a neat mpg of how to
          tie the Hennessey tie up knot in the file section.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "drdlm <drdlm@y...>"

        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 24, 2003
            > I've placed a few photos in the photo pages and a neat mpg
            > of how to tie the Hennessey tie up knot in the file
            > section.

            Yeah, that's a really great video that I shot... ;)

            Traditionally, Dean, it's nice to at least give credit when you lift
            something copyrightable from somebody's site, and usually it's traditional
            to provide a link, like this:

            http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hknot.htm

            Slides are also available. Enjoy!

            Shane
          • drdlm <drdlm@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 24, 2003
              Shane:
              I apologize for posting your video so I've deleted it and will leave
              it to you to post it if that is your desire. I didn't mean to offend
              you.
              Dean

              -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
              wrote:
              > > I've placed a few photos in the photo pages and a neat mpg
              > > of how to tie the Hennessey tie up knot in the file
              > > section.
              >
              > Yeah, that's a really great video that I shot... ;)
              >
              > Traditionally, Dean, it's nice to at least give credit when you lift
              > something copyrightable from somebody's site, and usually it's
              traditional
              > to provide a link, like this:

              http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hknot.h
              tm

              > Slides are also available. Enjoy!
              >
              > Shane
            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 24, 2003
                > I apologize for posting your video so I've deleted it and
                > will leave it to you to post it if that is your desire. I
                > didn't mean to offend you.

                Don't sweat it Dean, I'm too laid back to get mad. I actually didn't mind,
                since it might save me some bandwidth... Just be sure to give credit when
                you lift something that somebody else did. Some people DO get mad.

                Shane
              • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 25, 2003
                  The difference here is your pad is not near as wide as Paul and I
                  made ours but you are adding a reflectix and closed cell together.
                  Just how wide is each pad? I used a similar setup a few weeks ago
                  and sweated at 29 deg. My pad was the 3/8 closed cell from Target 27
                  x 72. My reflectix was shorter 27 x 40 if I remember correctly. I
                  wrote about it in my Crazy Crib (or was it my REI Down Time review)
                  initial review on BGT. Anyway it has me thinking that my
                  fleece/reflectic pad is wider (40 in) than I really need. Dean. Do
                  your shoulders ever feel cool in you Big Agnes?

                  I keep hearing how hammockers have to carry so much extra padding
                  but as those who use reflectix know, the stuff is extreemly light.
                  Bulky yes, heavy no. Paul we need to get a Garlington Insulator
                  built before cold weather gets gone. (hint You need to get Linda
                  busy sewing)

                  Coy Boy