Re: [Hammock Camping] Radiation/absorption question

  • Randy Saylor
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
      A dark exterior will radiate heat away from the hammock and thus the body inside it. White would be the best exterior colour to prevent radiation.
      Randy
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
        I've never understood the theory;
        You're using the quilt at night, so theres no light
        around anyway- why would colours make any difference
        at night?
        Aris

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
          Well, I think I understand the theory but probably not well enough to
          explain it so that you will understand it. Basically, you only need
          a dark surface so that you can dry a damp bag quicker in sunlight.

          First, lighter colors are better reflectors, poorer absorbers and
          poorer radiators than darker colors.

          As far as thermal efficiency for a sleeping bag, you would want both
          the inner and outer surface to be a light color. You would want the
          inner suface to be a good reflector/bad absorber so that you would
          maintain more of your body heat instead of warming your sleeping
          bag. You would want the outter surface to be a poor radiator so that
          the heat that you did put into the bag would stay in the bag and not
          efficiently radiate heat to cooler outside objects, like your tent,
          tarp, clouds or worse yet, the open sky.

          Radiant heat transfer requires physical seperation, is inversely
          proportional to (distance)^2 and directly proportional to
          (temperature difference)^4 of the objects involved with the radiant
          heat transfer. When the other object is your tarp or tent there
          probably isn't a whole lot of radiant heat transfer going on and the
          difference in fabric color isn't so much, but this might be more of a
          factor with a clear night sky. Where you will definately see a big
          difference is in bright sunlight and this is why you want a dark
          color to quicken the drying time for a damp bag. If I was going to
          pick which surface to make dark for solar drying, it would be the
          inner surface... my thinking is that most of it will be in contact
          with you and the heat transfer will primarily be by conduction, not
          radiation.

          I told you my explanation might not make any sense.

          Youngblood

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
            You would also want it darker (better absorbing) in the infrared. If
            it is bright (emmittive) in the IR then even at night you are losing
            energy (warmth). IR reflectors (foils) will slow it down, unless you
            are touching it then it is conductive heat transfer.

            Ralph Oborn

            On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:41:28 -0000, Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote:

            > Well, I think I understand the theory but probably not well enough to
            > explain it so that you will understand it. Basically, you only need
            > a dark surface so that you can dry a damp bag quicker in sunlight.
            >
            > First, lighter colors are better reflectors, poorer absorbers and
            > poorer radiators than darker colors.
            >
            > As far as thermal efficiency for a sleeping bag, you would want both
            > the inner and outer surface to be a light color. You would want the
            > inner suface to be a good reflector/bad absorber so that you would
            > maintain more of your body heat instead of warming your sleeping
            > bag. You would want the outter surface to be a poor radiator so that
            > the heat that you did put into the bag would stay in the bag and not
            > efficiently radiate heat to cooler outside objects, like your tent,
            > tarp, clouds or worse yet, the open sky.
            >
            > Radiant heat transfer requires physical seperation, is inversely
            > proportional to (distance)^2 and directly proportional to
            > (temperature difference)^4 of the objects involved with the radiant
            > heat transfer. When the other object is your tarp or tent there
            > probably isn't a whole lot of radiant heat transfer going on and the
            > difference in fabric color isn't so much, but this might be more of a
            > factor with a clear night sky. Where you will definately see a big
            > difference is in bright sunlight and this is why you want a dark
            > color to quicken the drying time for a damp bag. If I was going to
            > pick which surface to make dark for solar drying, it would be the
            > inner surface... my thinking is that most of it will be in contact
            > with you and the heat transfer will primarily be by conduction, not
            > radiation.
            >
            > I told you my explanation might not make any sense.
            >
            > Youngblood
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>
            > wrote:
            >

            > > I've never understood the theory;
            > > You're using the quilt at night, so theres no light
            > > around anyway- why would colours make any difference
            > > at night?
            > > Aris
            > >

            > > --- Randy Saylor <r.saylor@s...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > A dark exterior will radiate heat away from the
            > > > hammock and thus the body inside it. White would be
            > > > the best exterior colour to prevent radiation.
            > > > Randy

          • Randy Saylor
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
              I have never believed that the color of material that is in contact with your skin makes much difference because conduction, not radiation, will be the main method for heat transfer. I agree that a dark bag liner will dry faster than a light one and that is due to better absorption of light energy.

              Hot water radiators in homes work most efficiently if painted black, or at least a dark color.

              Why are polar bears white? Is it to reduce radiation or give good camouflage? Probably for both reasons.

              Randy

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                The contact comment was refering to metalic foils etc. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

                Ralph

                On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:39:15 -0400, Randy Saylor <r.saylor@...> wrote:

                > I have never believed that the color of material that is in contact with
                > your skin makes much difference because conduction, not radiation, will be
                > the main method for heat transfer. I agree that a dark bag liner will dry
                > faster than a light one and that is due to better absorption of light
                > energy.
                >
                > Hot water radiators in homes work most efficiently if painted black, or at
                > least a dark color.
                >
                > Why are polar bears white? Is it to reduce radiation or give good
                > camouflage? Probably for both reasons.
                >
                > Randy

              • Craig Everhart
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                  Hi,
                  I'm, Craig - just started on this site. am interested
                  in hammock camping and want to learn.

                  White polar bears have puzzled me for a long time.
                  Camouflage seems like one good reason.

                  I picked up somewhere that white fur also allows light
                  to reflect inward to the skin. That made some sense
                  too.

                  I guess next time I see a polar bear I'll ask. :-)

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 30, 2004
                    Ralph,

                    I have this figured differently than you. I believe that darker
                    materials are better at both absorbing and emmitting radiant heat.

                    Youngblood

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 30, 2004
                      Opps, maybe not. I think we are saying the same thing... I didn't
                      read it carefully enough.

                      Sorry,
                      Youngblood

                      > Ralph,
                      >
                      > I have this figured differently than you. I believe that darker
                      > materials are better at both absorbing and emmitting radiant heat.
                      >
                      > Youngblood
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
                      <Ralph.oborn@g...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > You would also want it darker (better absorbing) in the infrared.
                      If
                      > > it is bright (emmittive) in the IR then even at night you are
                      losing
                      > > energy (warmth). IR reflectors (foils) will slow it down, unless
                      you
                      > > are touching it then it is conductive heat transfer.
                      > >
                      > > Ralph Oborn

                    • Randy Saylor
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 30, 2004
                        This is tricky stuff. Consider light energy absorption. A black surface is black because it absorbs the light and does not reflect it. A pure white surface reflects all the light and absorbs very little. Therefore the black surface will get warmer. Thus dark clothing will make us hot in bright sunshine more so than light clothing.

                        Now emission or radiation is different. A warm body will emit heat energy in the form of infra red radiation. Also it will lose heat by conduction to material it is in contact with. Conduction is affected more by the nature of the material (metal vs cloth, for example) than it is by the color of the material. If a gas (air) or liquid is in contact with the warm body then the heat will conduct away and then be removed by convection. The color makes a difference with radiation where the black body will radiate infra red more efficiently. In a hammock, limiting conduction is the most critical factor and thus all the effort to provide an insulating barrier.

                        This is how I understand this topic and I would welcome any clarification.

                        Randy
                        Opps, maybe not.  I think we are saying the same thing... I didn't
                        read it carefully enough.

                        Sorry,
                        Youngblood

                        > Ralph,
                        >
                        > I have this figured differently than you.  I believe that darker
                        > materials are better at both absorbing and emmitting radiant heat.
                        >
                        > Youngblood
                        >
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
                        <Ralph.oborn@g...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > You would also want it darker (better absorbing) in the infrared.
                        If
                        > > it is bright (emmittive) in the IR then even at night you are
                        losing
                        > > energy (warmth). IR reflectors (foils) will slow it down, unless
                        you
                        > > are touching it then it is conductive heat transfer.
                        > >
                        > > Ralph Oborn

                      • zippydooda
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004
                          Youngblood, you are correct. So, you paint your radiators black,
                          since you want for the heat to get out of them. But, you use a
                          brightly polished teakettle (or light colored, I guess), because it
                          keeps the heat in.

                          At night, the outside surface of your peapod (or underquilt) is
                          warmer than the surroundings, so you want to try to keep that heat
                          in. So, you use a light color or even a reflective cover. If you
                          make it dark, you will radiate more heat. You can't soak up heat at
                          night with a dark peapod, because heat has to move from hotter to
                          colder items (it's a law).

                          Like others said, the color of the inside of the bag doesn't matter
                          too much, since it's more of a conductive thing going on there. So
                          black would be nice since it hides dirt and makes it easier to dry
                          your bag in the sun.

                          All this radiation stuff works the same with heat flowing the other
                          way, too, right? Dark stuff gets hotter in the sun than light
                          stuff. The color of a surface (or whether it is rough or polished,
                          in the case of metal) influences heat going both in and out.

                          Hopefully this makes sense.

                          Bill in Houston

                          > Ralph,
                          >
                          > I have this figured differently than you. I believe that darker
                          > materials are better at both absorbing and emmitting radiant heat.
                          >
                          > Youngblood
                          >
                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
                          <Ralph.oborn@g...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > You would also want it darker (better absorbing) in the infrared.
                          If
                          > > it is bright (emmittive) in the IR then even at night you are
                          losing
                          > > energy (warmth). IR reflectors (foils) will slow it down, unless
                          you
                          > > are touching it then it is conductive heat transfer.
                          > >
                          > > Ralph Oborn

                        • dlfrost_1
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 31, 2004
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Saylor" <r.saylor@s...>
                            wrote:
                            > Why are polar bears white? Is it to reduce radiation or give good
                            camouflage? Probably for both reasons.

                            The hairs of a Polar Bear are almost clear and are hollow. The white
                            appearance comes from the even scattering of light and is vital for
                            camouflage, as these animals are mainly ambush hunters. Because of
                            the internal scattering, the fur is also efficient at absorbing
                            infrared warmth from the sun. Their skin is dark back to protect
                            against UV light. (This why you see black around the eyes and nose--
                            the fur is thinnest there.)

                            Doug Frost