Radiation/absorption question

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2004
      I think I'm misunderstanding why some bags/quilts have light
      outsides and dark insides. I know it's for radiation, but here's
      where I'm confused.

      Light colors radiate heat and dark colors absorb heat. So wouldn't
      you put the light color on the inside to radiate the heat back at
      your body? And the dark color on the outside to absorb ambient heat
      into the bag, keeping you warmer?

      If the inside is dark, then the bag is absorbing and storing your
      body heat rather than letting your body use it. And the light outer
      layer is reflecting ambient heat back into the atmosphere instead of
      storing it in your bag.

      So which is right?

      Jeff