Re: [Hammock Camping] Clear plastic sheet for tarp

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2004
      One other thought that I didn't see mentioned in the prior post.
      With a smallish tarp, you have to have it closer to you to get rain
      protection. With a larger tarp, you can get rain protection with the
      tarp pitched higher and at least see out of the sides and maybe not
      feel as confined. However, there is a width of 'diminishing returns'
      when using a rectangular tarp over a hammock unless you prop the
      edges up with poles/sticks... my guess is that is about 8 feet. If
      this 'diminishing returns' concept is hard to understand, it is
      because at some point it is difficult to decrease the angle of the A-
      frame pitch because you can only hang the ridgeline of the tarp up as
      hight as you can reach.

      Youngblood
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2004
        > Nothing wrong with clear plastic except weight, bulk, noise, and
        lack of
        > strength.

        And it offers no protection from the sun--a significant issue in some
        areas.

        But in fairness: Plastic is wonderfully inexpensive, easily worked,
        and servicable enough is many conditions.

        General weights per-sq.-foot for the plastic sheeting found in
        WalMart, hardware stores, etcetera (these two thicknesses are the
        ones most suited for tarp use.)...
        3 mil. = 0.23 oz
        4 mil. = 0.306 oz

        So an 8x10 sheet of the 4mil stuff will weigh about 1.5 pounds.

        Doug Frost