Re: [Hammock Camping] Clear plastic sheet for tarp

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 2004
      jwj32542 wrote:

      >I like my hammock, but I feel like I'm entering a cocoon when I
      >crawl under the tarp. I'm thinking of getting a regular old sheet
      >of clear plastic and rigging it up to use as a tarp. That way I can
      >still see the stars at stuff when I go to bed, and get the full
      >morning sun when I wake up.
      >
      >Obviously it's not as durable as silnylon, but a bit of duct tape
      >can fix it just as well. Maybe a bit heavier, too, but for short
      >trips I think it'd work out well. And you can't beat the price!
      >
      >Anyone tried this before?
      >
      >Jeff

      I put the tarp up when it looks like rain - I don't mind not looking at
      the rain clouds. I leave it in my pack; or up but furled inside its own
      little tubes, when it is clear or questionable.

      The tubes are just like hammock tubes but keep the tarp and its tieouts
      from getting confused. It takes all of about half a minute to deploy
      the tarp when it has been pre-rigged like this.

      Even when not pre-rigged, it only takes about a minute more to tie it to
      the trees, but that minute can be a long, wet minute. I had occasion to
      visit it once more at 0400 on Wednesday morning, 10 miles south of
      Damascus Virginia. I went to sleep looking at the nearly full moon in a
      clear sky and woke to sprinkles on my cheek.

      Nothing wrong with clear plastic except weight, bulk, noise, and lack of
      strength.

      Risk
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 28, 2004
        I love looking at the night sky from my HH. Last trip I unhooked the head
        end of the fly from its connection and pulled it down to the foot end.I ran
        a light line from the ring on the fly, through the head-end connector on the
        ridgeline and back under the hammock, ending at the entrance slit, nicely
        velcroed in so I wouldn't loose it. When it started sprinkling at 3AM, I
        just reached down to the line underneath me and started pulling. The head
        end of the fly was pulled up nearly to its normal position and I velcroed
        the line at this tightened position. May not be a sufficient solution for a
        real storm, but was just great for a little light rainfall.

        ### I have done this too, but from the side, not from an end. It works
        quite well.

        Shane
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 29, 2004
          One other thought that I didn't see mentioned in the prior post.
          With a smallish tarp, you have to have it closer to you to get rain
          protection. With a larger tarp, you can get rain protection with the
          tarp pitched higher and at least see out of the sides and maybe not
          feel as confined. However, there is a width of 'diminishing returns'
          when using a rectangular tarp over a hammock unless you prop the
          edges up with poles/sticks... my guess is that is about 8 feet. If
          this 'diminishing returns' concept is hard to understand, it is
          because at some point it is difficult to decrease the angle of the A-
          frame pitch because you can only hang the ridgeline of the tarp up as
          hight as you can reach.

          Youngblood
        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2004
            > Nothing wrong with clear plastic except weight, bulk, noise, and
            lack of
            > strength.

            And it offers no protection from the sun--a significant issue in some
            areas.

            But in fairness: Plastic is wonderfully inexpensive, easily worked,
            and servicable enough is many conditions.

            General weights per-sq.-foot for the plastic sheeting found in
            WalMart, hardware stores, etcetera (these two thicknesses are the
            ones most suited for tarp use.)...
            3 mil. = 0.23 oz
            4 mil. = 0.306 oz

            So an 8x10 sheet of the 4mil stuff will weigh about 1.5 pounds.

            Doug Frost