Re: [Hammock Camping] Open vs. Closed Cell Pads

  • Paul Kaercher
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2004

      > Did I miss anything??

      Open cell foam collapses from your body weight
      to a far greater degree than closed cell foam.
      Collapsed foam = reduced R valu.
      Thus the trend towards putting open cell foam
      under the hammock so the foam retains its "loft"

      Paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 26, 2004
        > I think the consensus is for hammocking use open cell if you can
        keep it dry.

        Ralph,

        That's not what I would have thought. I thought most hammockers used
        closed cell foam pads because the pads typically support all or most
        of the occupants weight and that open cell foam pads would be
        compressed too much to provide significant insulation. Exceptions to
        this are self inflating pads that use open cell foam but also trap
        air to keep you from completely compressing the foam and the under-
        hammock approach that Hennessy has recently employed which also
        positions the open cell foam in a way that attempts to keep you from
        significantly compressing it.

        All compressable under-hammock insulation has a fit issue, in that if
        it is too tight you compress some/all of the insulation and don't get
        much insulation from it and if it is too loose you get some
        convection heat transfer because of the air gaps that limits the
        insulation you can get from your conductive insulating layer.

        Youngblood
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 2004
          I think Ralph was saying to use the open cell under the hammock,
          rather than in the hammock, for the reason that you mentioned.

          Bill in Houston