Open vs. Closed Cell Pads

  • mattyg225
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2004
      What is the difference between an open cell pad and a closed cell
      pad? Advatages / disadvantages of either?

      Does it make a big difference in a hammock as opposed to on the
      ground?

      thanks,
      matt
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2004
        Open cell foam is like a sponge, and will soak up water like a mmmm
        sponge. Most foam rubber is open cell. Closed cell foam has all the
        little holes sealed and will not soak up water. Most camping pads are
        closed cell.

        Open cell is generally "softer" and conforms to the odd mathematical
        shape of a hammock better. It will also absorb any body moisture. If
        it is exposed to rain it acts like a sponge and quickly saturates
        getting everything wet (and you very cold.

        Closed cell does not conform to the hammock shape very well and seems
        to want to get out from under you. Because it is more rigid t also
        will fold and buckle in odd ways and at odd places. Because it is
        impermeable there is often a sheen of moisture on it after a nights
        sleep.
        I think the consensus is for hammocking use open cell if you can keep it dry.

        Did I miss anything??

        Ralph

        On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 03:39:40 -0000, mattyg225 <mattyg225@...> wrote:

        > What is the difference between an open cell pad and a closed cell
        > pad? Advatages / disadvantages of either?
        >
        > Does it make a big difference in a hammock as opposed to on the
        > ground?
        >
        > thanks,
        > matt

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 2004
          I'm about to try open cell inside my two-layer hammock for the first
          time, but I think it will breathe much better than the closed cell.
          I woke up with a wet back and sleeping bag when I tried the closed
          cell...that's why I won't use it again.

          This open cell is from Walmart with a layer of closed cell at the
          bottom. I'm hoping that will block the wind, while the open cell
          will move moisture next to my body so I don't have the condensation
          issues.

          Jeff
        • Paul Kaercher
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 2004

            > Did I miss anything??

            Open cell foam collapses from your body weight
            to a far greater degree than closed cell foam.
            Collapsed foam = reduced R valu.
            Thus the trend towards putting open cell foam
            under the hammock so the foam retains its "loft"

            Paul
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 26, 2004
              > I think the consensus is for hammocking use open cell if you can
              keep it dry.

              Ralph,

              That's not what I would have thought. I thought most hammockers used
              closed cell foam pads because the pads typically support all or most
              of the occupants weight and that open cell foam pads would be
              compressed too much to provide significant insulation. Exceptions to
              this are self inflating pads that use open cell foam but also trap
              air to keep you from completely compressing the foam and the under-
              hammock approach that Hennessy has recently employed which also
              positions the open cell foam in a way that attempts to keep you from
              significantly compressing it.

              All compressable under-hammock insulation has a fit issue, in that if
              it is too tight you compress some/all of the insulation and don't get
              much insulation from it and if it is too loose you get some
              convection heat transfer because of the air gaps that limits the
              insulation you can get from your conductive insulating layer.

              Youngblood
            • zippydooda
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 26, 2004
                I think Ralph was saying to use the open cell under the hammock,
                rather than in the hammock, for the reason that you mentioned.

                Bill in Houston