Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: How low can you go?

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 25, 2004
      This is the first hammock failure I've heard about.
      Any others?

      Ralph

      On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:48:32 -0700, Adrnlnjnky <adrnlnjnky@...> wrote:

      > I experienced my first hammock failure this fall. I was using 1.1 oz.
      > nylon and it just rubbed against a rock on the ground while I was
      > sitting in it with little Emma (18 months) and all of a sudden I had
      > two pieces of fabric and a dirty but. The rock was not sharp and I
      > didn't think to much of it when we rocked over it the first time but
      > the second or third pass I can't remember was the clincher.
      >
      > Tom
      >

      > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:51:40 -0000, Mirage <mirage@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Sandberg"
      > > <docteric@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm wondering how low people have gone as far as the weight of
      > > their
      > > > hammock fabric.
      > > >
      > > > I know Ed recommends 1.9 oz for folks under 200, Rich uses 1.1 for
      > > > his double layered, and one person (sorry, I forget your name)
      > > uses
      > > > silk.
      > > >
      > > > Has anyone gone with a single layer of 1.5 or 1.1 (or even
      > > > lighter)? What were your results?
      > >
      > > Eric,
      > >
      > > My current system uses 1.1oz RS Nylon, single layer. I weigh btwn
      > > 180 and 190, bare skin. There are small area of "pulling" where my
      > > body produces the greatest wear against the hammock material (where
      > > my waist/rear are), but after a season of use, I still feel safe in
      > > it.
      > >
      > > That is no excuse to not check every morning when you get out and
      > > every evening when you get in to be sure your hammock integrity is
      > > still intact.
      > >
      > > My full system can be seen at:
      > > http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem
      > >
      > > Shane "Mirage"...
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > --
      > Tom Peltier
      > Pura Vida
      >
      > Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we
      > should soon want bread.
      > Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography, 1821
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Eric Sandberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 29, 2004
        I once did a series of experiments where I intentionally used
        different lightweight cottons to see if different ways of attaching
        the hanging lines made a difference. Probably not what we're really
        talking about, but may be interesting.

        Every time the fabric ripped, it was right below the knot.
        Different knots were tried (whipping, nail knot, sheet bend, and
        lark's head). No difference was found. They all held the same
        weight material, they all ripped at the same weight material.

        Other than this experiment, the prior post is the first time I've
        heard of a hammock failing. This surprises me because I'd think
        that someone was experimenting and found what weights are not safe.

        Any other noteworthy failures?