Re: Re: [Hammock Camping] Help me, it's COLD!

  • Dylan Anderson
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 22, 2004
      You are certainly welcome Tom.
      There are too trees here! Stubby little stunted
      things but...
      Seriously though, along the creeks (Wet Beaver, Clear
      Creek, or Oak Creek) in the area there are plenty of
      cottonwoods, a few oak, the occational ash. Further
      up the canyon on the sandstone ledges I spoke of,
      there are still some trees. The sandstone ledges are
      surounded by vertical walls though too, and most of
      them have large horizontal cracks in which I can
      insert a pair of cams I have for climbing, and that
      works well.

      Out in the desert though, I have come up with a few
      other tricks. Carrying extra rope allows me to tie
      off on the back side of large boulders or hills, such
      that the rope wraps over the top of the rock. Also
      can tie to the base of a bush at the top of a hill or
      rise. And then you can always find a large log or
      stick such as a rib from a dead cactus and jam that
      into a crack on top of a stone formation. Basically
      anything that is as tall as I am will work well. Of
      course my rock climbing experience and equipement help
      out a lot too in being able to see possibilities and
      know how to rig them up.

      -Dylan

      =====

      http://vote.yahoo.com