Open cell foam etc

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 22, 2004
      Gidday. As a new 'hanger'from down-under I'd appreciate peoples
      views on the merits of open cell foam/underpad systems slung under
      hammocks.

      I've owned a HH Explorer Delux Asym for approx 1 month and have come
      to realise what a fantastic bit a gear they are for camping in
      Australia. The ability to get up and away from snakes, spiders,
      dingoes, native rats, bandicoots etc means that your nights are much
      more peaceful. Than again we don't have the problem of large beasts
      that can eat you, so I shouldn't complain.

      I've been experimenting with closed cell mats, fleece and space
      blankets to see what setup works the best with good success. I see
      that HH have developed an underpad system using OC foam which
      appears to be a bit different to what most people are using in the
      hammock world.

      Any comments/designs/experiences welcome.
    • Aris Dennis
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 22, 2004
        Hi Greg, (coincidence-this is also my first post!)
        I'm also an Aussie (NSW) and also have the explorer
        (but the ultralight version).
        I experimented with pads in the hammock; I was both
        cold and ended up with a sweaty back- not a good
        combination.
        I tried strapping an extra wide foam pad to the
        outside of the hammock with some success, but even
        this wasnn't quite warm enough.
        I also tried the garlington insulator idea- it worked
        to some degree but I was still cold.
        I then strung a hutchie under the hammock and put my
        quilt in it, to act as an underquilt. This worked well
        (and its onehundred time more comfortable than having
        a pad in the hammock).
        So in the end I have ordered the underquilt from
        www.jacksrbetter.com
        Its a bit of money, but it will double as a warm
        jacket, so it's not adding too much to my pack weight.
        Next I'd like to build the $9 hammock on
        www.imrisk.com and try zipping my rectangular bag
        around it, peapod stye.
        I'd be interested to know what works for you.

        --- Greg <fly_high@...> wrote:

        > Gidday. As a new 'hanger'from down-under I'd
        > appreciate peoples
        > views on the merits of open cell foam/underpad
        > systems slung under
        > hammocks.
        >
        > I've owned a HH Explorer Delux Asym for approx 1
        > month and have come
        > to realise what a fantastic bit a gear they are for
        > camping in
        > Australia. The ability to get up and away from
        > snakes, spiders,
        > dingoes, native rats, bandicoots etc means that your
        > nights are much
        > more peaceful. Than again we don't have the problem
        > of large beasts
        > that can eat you, so I shouldn't complain.
        >
        > I've been experimenting with closed cell mats,
        > fleece and space
        > blankets to see what setup works the best with good
        > success. I see
        > that HH have developed an underpad system using OC
        > foam which
        > appears to be a bit different to what most people
        > are using in the
        > hammock world.
        >
        > Any comments/designs/experiences welcome.

        http://messenger.yahoo.com
      • Greg
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 23, 2004
          Hi Aris,

          Good to see the Aussies getting in on the Hammock thing, thanks for
          replying. Interesting about your comments on the hutchie outside the
          hammock. It looks as though for comfort and warmth this might be a
          good combination. I've made up a rig that seems to be working so far
          based on the fleece (top), closed-cell mat (middle), space blanket
          (bottom) idea. The best space blanket I've found so far is a Coleman
          that you can pick up at Kmart for ~$15. I've got this under a closed
          cell mat that I've cut down to cover from my shoulders to thighs.
          The fleece I used is a commercial cloth that is used in horse rugs
          and seems to wick the moisture away that is formed under your bag.
          I've used it down to ~0C with a -5c bag and it kept me warm enough.

          I've got an old groundsheet that i'm going to make into a shell
          similar to the one that's shown on www.thru-hiker.com. I'll see how
          it goes.

          Have you seen many others down your way using hammocks. Using mine
          out on walks up here seems to attract a lot of attention!! Can't
          understand why they aren't used more in Australia.

          Look forward to your views and experiences.

          Cheers

          Greg
          > Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download now.
          > http://messenger.yahoo.com
        • zippydooda
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 23, 2004
            Hey, what's a hutchie? Thanks...

            Bill in Houston

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <fly_high@d...> wrote:

            > Hi Aris,
            >
            ><snip> Interesting about your comments on the hutchie outside the
            > hammock. <snip>
          • Aris Dennis
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 23, 2004
              basically a tarp.. sorry should be thinking of the non
              aussies!

              --- zippydooda <zippydooda@...> wrote:

              > Hey, what's a hutchie? Thanks...
              >
              > Bill in Houston
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Greg"
              > <fly_high@d...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Aris,
              > >
              > ><snip> Interesting about your comments on the
              > hutchie outside the
              > > hammock. <snip>

              http://vote.yahoo.com
            • Aris Dennis
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 23, 2004
                Hi Greg,
                No there aren't many around. But you know the Aussie
                outdoor industry- the shops will disparage anything
                new until they decide they can make money;

                "you'll die if you don't wear goretex"
                "you can't use a hutchie, if you encounter a storm
                you'll die"
                "you can't wear volleys or kt26's, your ankles will
                instantly snap!"

                However, as soon as I got my hammock, my friend bought
                the expedition 2.5, and my uncle is now looking at the
                explorer.
                I like the idea of the space blanket- I take it you're
                talking about the thicker ones? I tried using the thin
                ones as agroundsheet under a bivi- it ripped and blew
                away in the first gust of wind!
                I don't know if you've tried the hammock out in the
                rains we've just had- did you find the fly large
                enough? I'm thinking about protection for the
                underquilt, let me kniw what you think.

                thanks,
                Aris

                --- Greg <fly_high@...> wrote:

                > Hi Aris,
                >
                > Good to see the Aussies getting in on the Hammock
                > thing, thanks for
                > replying. Interesting about your comments on the
                > hutchie outside the
                > hammock. It looks as though for comfort and warmth
                > this might be a
                > good combination. I've made up a rig that seems to
                > be working so far
                > based on the fleece (top), closed-cell mat (middle),
                > space blanket
                > (bottom) idea. The best space blanket I've found so
                > far is a Coleman
                > that you can pick up at Kmart for ~$15. I've got
                > this under a closed
                > cell mat that I've cut down to cover from my
                > shoulders to thighs.
                > The fleece I used is a commercial cloth that is used
                > in horse rugs
                > and seems to wick the moisture away that is formed
                > under your bag.
                > I've used it down to ~0C with a -5c bag and it kept
                > me warm enough.
                >
                > I've got an old groundsheet that i'm going to make
                > into a shell
                > similar to the one that's shown on
                > www.thru-hiker.com. I'll see how
                > it goes.
                >
                > Have you seen many others down your way using
                > hammocks. Using mine
                > out on walks up here seems to attract a lot of
                > attention!! Can't
                > understand why they aren't used more in Australia.
                >
                > Look forward to your views and experiences.
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Greg
                > > Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download
                > now.
                > > http://messenger.yahoo.com

                http://vote.yahoo.com
              • Eric Sandberg
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 23, 2004
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > So in the end I have ordered the underquilt from
                  > www.jacksrbetter.com
                  > Its a bit of money, but it will double as a warm
                  > jacket, so it's not adding too much to my pack weight.
                  > Next I'd like to build the $9 hammock on
                  > www.imrisk.com and try zipping my rectangular bag
                  > around it, peapod stye.
                  > I'd be interested to know what works for you.

                  If you prefer to have insulation under you, rather than a pad,
                  consider one of the insulated hammocks. There's one at Risk's page

                  http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/warmhammock.htm

                  and another on the lightweight backpacker site. Pretty similar
                  ideas.
                  http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

                  I much prefer an insulated hammock over a padded one and I have
                  one w/ about 2" (50mm) of quilting bating that I use all the time.
                  I'm in the process now of making one that will be lighter weight.
                  My goal is to get a good set up that can go to 0 degrees F (-17 C).

                  Hope this helps.

                  Enjoy
                • Greg Carter
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 24, 2004
                    Hi Bill,

                     A hutchie was originally a multi use nylon sheet that Australian troops used as a ground sheet/tent/poncho. Readily available to bushwalkers (hikers) now cheap in Army disposal stores.

                    Cheers
                    Greg
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 24, 2004
                      Hi Aris,

                      Yeah hit the nail on the head there with the outdoor industry. I got jumped on a number of times when I was looking for a HH. Treated like some sort of hippie because I wasn't looking at an MSR or a Macpac tent.

                      Yes the space blanket is the thicker one. I've seen quite a price variation ranging from $15 to $25. As I said cheapest was at Kmart. I've used it on 3 trips now and although some of the silver seems to be rubbing off it still appears to be very effective.

                      Just finished drawing out a underpad type tarp for the hammock. Shocking time getting the thing to fit without any folds. The problem is dealing with a flat shape (Asym around the hammock) and the curve underneath!! Many paper clips to hold it in place. Will let you  know how it goes.

                      --- Greg <fly_high@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Aris,
                      >
                      > Good to see the Aussies getting in on the Hammock
                      > thing, thanks for
                      > replying. Interesting about your comments on the
                      > hutchie outside the
                      > hammock. It looks as though for comfort and warmth
                      > this might be a
                      > good combination. I've made up a rig that seems to
                      > be working so far
                      > based on the fleece (top), closed-cell mat (middle),
                      > space blanket
                      > (bottom) idea. The best space blanket I've found so
                      > far is a Coleman
                      > that you can pick up at Kmart for ~$15. I've got
                      > this under a closed
                      > cell mat that I've cut down to cover from my
                      > shoulders to thighs.
                      > The fleece I used is a commercial cloth that is used
                      > in horse rugs
                      > and seems to wick the moisture away that is formed
                      > under your bag.
                      > I've used it down to ~0C with a -5c bag and it kept
                      > me warm enough.
                      >
                      > I've got an old groundsheet that i'm going to make
                      > into a shell
                      > similar to the one that's shown on
                      > www.thru-hiker.com. I'll see how
                      > it goes.
                      >
                      > Have you seen many others down your way using
                      > hammocks. Using mine
                      > out on walks up here seems to attract a lot of
                      > attention!! Can't
                      > understand why they aren't used more in Australia.
                      >
                      > Look forward to your views and experiences.
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > Greg
                      > > Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download
                      > now.
                      > > http://messenger.yahoo.com

                      http://vote.yahoo.com

                    • Aris Dennis
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 24, 2004
                        HI Greg,
                        I'd love to try and make something like an undercover,
                        to protect the down quilt from rain splashes, or even
                        to make a hennesy-style open cell foam underpad. Could
                        you either post a drawing of of it or a pattern/photo?
                        It doesn't sound like you live locally so I can't see
                        it!
                        The foam on the hennessy underpad looks pretty thin
                        though- if it works on the loft of open cell foam, how
                        warm could it be?

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      • Greg Carter
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 24, 2004
                          Hi Aris,

                          Yes, no problems with the pattern/plans or whatever I come up with. Not sure about the open cell foam thing. Just been reading about its  (supershelter) development on the HH web site. What got me going on all this foam thing was the concept that Tom was working on. I think the major advantage is that the silnylon outer stops any convection heat  loss and the foam provides the dead air space between you and the outer. One other advantage I see is that the foam compresses really well and does not take up room in your pack. I went to Clark Rubber the other day and looked at all the different types of foam they have, mind blowing.  I guess that will be the next decision I have to make is what type I'm going to use.

                          Also sorry I didn't answer your question about the rain and the fly. It rained on the trip I did last weekend and  I got some windblown spray right on the end of the hammock. Nothing to lose sleep over, but I must admit that a bigger fly would stop that type of weather getting in. Could cook and sit under the tarp no problems while it was raining, but it's just the ends that could get a little damp. I've got an Outer Limits Hiker Tarp ($24) which I'm going to take if it looks like rain on the next trip and it fits really well over the HH and will give me all the protection I need. I did  get a price from the guy who makes the Mc Cat tarp http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/ very nice but a bit exy by the time you get it to Aust.

                          Oh well there's always Christmas!

                          Cheers

                          --- Greg Carter <fly_high@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Aris,
                          >
                          > Yeah hit the nail on the head there with the outdoor
                          > industry. I got jumped on a number of times when I
                          > was looking for a HH. Treated like some sort of
                          > hippie because I wasn't looking at an MSR or a
                          > Macpac tent.
                          >
                          > Yes the space blanket is the thicker one. I've seen
                          > quite a price variation ranging from $15 to $25. As
                          > I said cheapest was at Kmart. I've used it on 3
                          > trips now and although some of the silver seems to
                          > be rubbing off it still appears to be very
                          > effective.
                          >
                          > Just finished drawing out a underpad type tarp for
                          > the hammock. Shocking time getting the thing to fit
                          > without any folds. The problem is dealing with a
                          > flat shape (Asym around the hammock) and the curve
                          > underneath!! Many paper clips to hold it in place.
                          > Will let you  know how it goes.
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          >
                          > Greg

                        • john hill
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 24, 2004
                            What was the temperature while you were making these observations?

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 24, 2004
                              Hi John,
                              It's spring here, so the temp couldn't have been that
                              much lower than 5 degrees C.
                              Maybe I'm just a cold sleeper.
                              Aris

                              http://messenger.yahoo.com
                            • john hill
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 24, 2004
                                Aris,
                                Thanks.  I had to get my desktop converter to find that 5 C was 41 F (which I understand as opposed to Celsius which I don't).  I'm just starting to get into hammock camping too and have been reading with great interest all these many ways to beat the cold.  It's fall here and the temps will be dropping to 50 or lower soon and I'm a cold sleeper too.
                                John

                                --- john hill <nil_dog@...> wrote:

                                > What was the temperature while you were making these
                                > observations?
                                >
                                > Aris Dennis <apfel1984@...> wrote:Hi Greg,
                                > (coincidence-this is also my first post!)
                                > I'm also an Aussie (NSW) and also have the explorer
                                > (but the ultralight version).
                                > I experimented with pads in the hammock; I was both
                                > cold and ended up with a sweaty back- not a good
                                > combination.
                                > I tried strapping an extra wide foam pad to the
                                > outside of the hammock with some success, but even
                                > this wasnn't quite warm enough.
                                > I also tried the garlington insulator idea- it
                                > worked
                                > to some degree but I was still cold.
                                > I then strung a hutchie under the hammock and put my
                                > quilt in it, to act as an underquilt. This worked
                                > well
                                > (and its onehundred time more comfortable than
                                > having
                                > a pad in the hammock).
                                > So in the end I have ordered the underquilt from
                                > www.jacksrbetter.com
                                > Its a bit of money, but it will double as a warm
                                > jacket, so it's not adding too much to my pack
                                > weight.
                                > Next I'd like to build the $9 hammock on
                                > www.imrisk.com and try zipping my rectangular bag
                                > around it, peapod stye.
                                > I'd be interested to know what works for you.
                                >
                                > --- Greg <fly_high@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > > Gidday. As a new 'hanger'from down-under I'd
                                > > appreciate peoples
                                > > views on the merits of open cell foam/underpad
                                > > systems slung under
                                > > hammocks.
                                > >
                                > > I've owned a HH Explorer Delux Asym for approx 1
                                > > month and have come
                                > > to realise what a fantastic bit a gear they are
                                > for
                                > > camping in
                                > > Australia. The ability to get up and away from
                                > > snakes, spiders,
                                > > dingoes, native rats, bandicoots etc means that
                                > your
                                > > nights are much
                                > > more peaceful. Than again we don't have the
                                > problem
                                > > of large beasts
                                > > that can eat you, so I shouldn't complain.
                                > >
                                > > I've been experimenting with closed cell mats,
                                > > fleece and space
                                > > blankets to see what setup works the best with
                                > good
                                > > success. I see
                                > > that HH have developed an underpad system using OC
                                > > foam which
                                > > appears to be a bit different to what most people
                                > > are using in the
                                > > hammock world.
                                > >
                                > > Any comments/designs/experiences welcome.

                                > Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download
                                > now.
                                > http://messenger.yahoo.com
                                >
                                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                              • David Chinell
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
                                  Heya:

                                  I've tried zipping a rectangular sleeping bag
                                  around a tropical hammock (double-layer hammock
                                  with a casing and drawstring at the ends). It
                                  works just as you'd expect it to -- sort of like a
                                  PeaPod. The uncompressed insulation works.

                                  The only problem is keeping the bag in position.
                                  Since the bag is probably shorter than a PeaPod,
                                  you won't be able to cinch it outside the hammock
                                  ends to keep it from sliding down. You might need
                                  to sew on some tabs and use cord to tie it in
                                  position.

                                  Bear
                                • Mirage
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Carter" <fly_high@d...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > I've got an Outer Limits Hiker Tarp ($24) which I'm going to take
                                    > if it looks like rain on the next trip and it fits really well
                                    > over the HH and will give me all the protection I need. I did
                                    > get a price from the guy who makes the Mc Cat tarp
                                    > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/ very nice but a bit exy
                                    > by the time you get it to Aust.

                                    Greg,

                                    If you can afford it, I suggest buying a MacCat tarp from Brian, but
                                    if cost is an issue, I have successfully made my own. I'm not
                                    offering you make one for you, but I can provide some info on how to
                                    do it your self. Here are some links:

                                    Making my own:
                                    http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/DIYGear/SilNylTarp/index.html
                                    http://www.hikerchick.com/quilts.htm