RE: [Hammock Camping] ThermARest or Blue Pad?

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2004
      Risk and Chuck:

      I tried a thermarest in a Speer hammock once, and
      it did pretty well. But then, it was between two
      layers of hammock fabric, and that kept it in
      place.

      I've also had good luck with a Mountain Hardwear
      Backcountry 60 pad in an HH. It's a combination
      closed-cell and egg crate foam pad inside a cloth
      envelope. The important feature is that the bottom
      fabric is slippery while the top fabric is grippy.
      So the pad stays put underneath me, but slides
      around on the hammock okay. It seems to stay under
      me as I move around. But it's narrow, so my
      shoulders want a little something extra.

      http://www.mountainhardware.com/www/action/catalog
      /DisplayStyle?id=634

      Back to the question though... I'd go with the
      blue foam pad, especially if you cut it in half
      for overlap or T use.

      Bear