ThermARest or Blue Pad?

  • Chuck Kichline
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2004
      Which would be most like to give better performance as an underpad:
      A big blue pad or a big Camp Rest ThermARest?

      =====
      Chuck Kichline
      Austin, TX

      http://vote.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2004
        Chuck Kichline wrote:

        >Which would be most like to give better performance as an underpad:
        >A big blue pad or a big Camp Rest ThermARest?
        >

        >=====
        >Chuck Kichline
        >Austin, TX

        The one time I tried to use a thermarest I could not keep it under me.
        I think they are too heavy and do not mold as well to the shape of a
        hammock. However, with my limited experience, you should definately
        listen to others findings.

        Risk
      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2004
          Risk and Chuck:

          I tried a thermarest in a Speer hammock once, and
          it did pretty well. But then, it was between two
          layers of hammock fabric, and that kept it in
          place.

          I've also had good luck with a Mountain Hardwear
          Backcountry 60 pad in an HH. It's a combination
          closed-cell and egg crate foam pad inside a cloth
          envelope. The important feature is that the bottom
          fabric is slippery while the top fabric is grippy.
          So the pad stays put underneath me, but slides
          around on the hammock okay. It seems to stay under
          me as I move around. But it's narrow, so my
          shoulders want a little something extra.

          http://www.mountainhardware.com/www/action/catalog
          /DisplayStyle?id=634

          Back to the question though... I'd go with the
          blue foam pad, especially if you cut it in half
          for overlap or T use.

          Bear