SO FRICKIN FRUSTRATED!!

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 19, 2004
      I was so excited because I found some pretty thin ripstop nylon at
      Walmart for $1/yd, and it was even a dark forest green color. They
      had 5yds, so I bought it all and snatched up some really strong
      black 100% nylon thread to go with it. Figured out pretty quickly
      that the thread was too thick for the needle or the material...it
      wouldn't catch to create a seam. No big deal, I thought, I'll just
      use the cheap old red 100% polyester thread for the first few things
      to see how it works.

      I CAN'T SEW ANYTHING!! I tried some snakeskins, and the stitches
      were uneven. I played with the tension a bit and almost fixed it,
      but after about 5-6" it bunches up and either breaks the thread or
      just stops catching on bottom and bunches up.

      GRRRR...had to vent. How do I fix this?

      But I got some good news today! I might be transferred to Colorado
      this summer! Rock on.

      Jeff
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 19, 2004
        > GRRRR...had to vent. How do I fix this?

        What's the make and model of your sewing machine?

        Shane
      • Mark Hooper
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 20, 2004
          Hi Jeff,
          I checked the N.Chas Wal-Mart yesterday and they had 3 or 4 bolts (possibly 30 or 40 yds.) of ripstop nylon on the $1 table. It was a nice looking forrest green.

          Mark

        • jonas4321@juno.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 20, 2004
            Jeff-

            Assuming you have threaded it properly (watch out for the bobbin in the
            bobbin carrier backwards!), this a long shot, but I had experienced
            EXACTLY the conditions that you mention, and I thought I would have to
            get my machine serviced. After all, it USED to work just fine...
            Instead, I made a phone call to my mom and she did the diagnosis for me:
            There was no pressure on the presser foot! On my machine (a White branded
            through Montgomery Ward), there is a "piston" at the top of the machine
            directly above the needle that you push down to "set" a spring-loaded
            pressure on the presser foot. It also has a release that removes all the
            pressure, which I had somehow released. Even though I was lowering my
            presser foot, there was no pressure between the presser foot and the
            little thingies that make the fabric move, so the fabric moved
            incorrectly, and the thing just made a mess of everything, including
            breaking needles. Pushed it down halfway, and voila! Now my only problem
            is my lack of skill.

            Hope this helps. Good luck!

            Jonas

            > I CAN'T SEW ANYTHING!! I tried some snakeskins, and the stitches
            > were uneven. I played with the tension a bit and almost fixed it,
            > but after about 5-6" it bunches up and either breaks the thread or
            > just stops catching on bottom and bunches up.

            Now includes pop-up blocker!
          • Dawn
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 20, 2004
              Just as a note, sometimes this will happen when the machine hasn't
              been used in a long time. This happens to my old Hallmark brand
              machine. My mom bought this relic back when she was in her 20's and I
              am now 35, so it is older than me.
              A can of compressed air to give it a good blow out, some oil and I am
              usually set to go.... but this thing has other issues though. *sigh*
              -Dawn

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 20, 2004
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
                <shane@t...> wrote:
                > > GRRRR...had to vent. How do I fix this?
                >
                > What's the make and model of your sewing machine?

                It's a White brand "Jeans Machine". I check for the presser foot
                piston that Jonas described but the foot is pressing down tight on
                the feed dogs.

                Jeff
              • Eric Sandberg
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 20, 2004

                  > > GRRRR...had to vent. How do I fix this?

                  That's happened to me a few times. Some things to check:

                  Are you using the right sized needle (an 11 if it's quite thin like
                  a 1.1 oz)

                  Heavy thread won't work on thin fabric with small needles, thin
                  thread won't work on light fabric with big needles. Trying this
                  might have messed up something internal. When using thin fabric you
                  need small needles and regular thread.

                  Re-play with the tensions. I'm amazed at how just a litle change can
                  make a big difference.

                  Another thing is that your timing might be off. Bring it to a good
                  sewing machine shop and get it looked at. Pretty expensive (about
                  $100 here in SE CT) but boy when that baby comes back it works
                  great! Also bring some of the thread with you when you go so the
                  mechanic can see the problems in action.

                  'hope this helps.

                  Good luck