Who took the trees?

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 18, 2004
      I'm going to be doing some desert car camping pretty soon and I of
      course want to use my hammock. I brought this up not too long ago
      but wanted to ask one more question....has anyone used their vehicle
      roof rack as one hanging point? I'm thinking I might be able to find
      one suitable Palo Verde or Mesquite but will likely have to use my
      SUV for the other side. Anyone try this method before???

      Jamie in AZ
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 18, 2004
        > I brought this up not too long ago but wanted to ask one more
        > question....has anyone used their vehicle roof rack as one hanging
        > point?

        I think that this is probably a very bad idea. The force exerted by the
        hammock rope is several times your actual weight. There is a calculator in
        the files section, I believe.

        Shane
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 19, 2004
          chcoa wrote:

          >I'm going to be doing some desert car camping pretty soon and I of
          >course want to use my hammock. I brought this up not too long ago
          >but wanted to ask one more question....has anyone used their vehicle
          >roof rack as one hanging point? I'm thinking I might be able to find
          >one suitable Palo Verde or Mesquite but will likely have to use my
          >SUV for the other side. Anyone try this method before???
          >
          >Jamie in AZ

          I have used a piece of lumber in one of the bed's rail holes in my
          pickup. It works fine. I agree with Shane, that the roof rack is
          probably not designed for this kind of stress.

          Two ideas:

          - It may be possible to spread the stress to all of your roof rack by
          tying a framework (perhaps also used for packing) to a number of
          attachment points on the roof rack. Then the hammock could be attached
          to this. (With my Jeep Wrangler, tying to the roll bar is a simple way
          to avoid this complication.)

          - The other idea would be to use a tree as the high support and the
          bumper of your SUV as a low attachment point in a single pole
          arrangement like this:

          http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm
        • tjarrell@cox.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 19, 2004
            chcoa wrote:

            >I'm going to be doing some desert car camping pretty soon and I of
            >course want to use my hammock.  I brought this up not too long ago
            >but wanted to ask one more question....has anyone used their vehicle
            >roof rack as one hanging point?  I'm thinking I might be able to find
            >one suitable Palo Verde or Mesquite but will likely have to use my
            >SUV for the other side. Anyone try this method before???
            >
            >Jamie in AZ

            I have used a piece of lumber in one of the bed's rail holes in my
            pickup.  It works fine.  I agree with Shane, that the roof rack is
            probably not designed for this kind of stress.

            Two ideas:

            - It may be possible to spread the stress to all of your roof rack by
            tying a framework (perhaps also used for packing) to a number of
            attachment points on the roof rack.  Then the hammock could be attached
            to this.  (With my Jeep Wrangler, tying to the roll bar is a simple way
            to avoid this complication.)

            - The other idea would be to use a tree as the high support and the
            bumper of your SUV as a low attachment point in a single pole
            arrangement like this:

            http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 19, 2004
              Instead of hooking to the roof rack directly (which would put several
              hundred pound of horizontal force on a device designed for vertical
              load). Extend the strap over the roof and down the far side to hook to
              the frame or bumper on the other side. It wold probably be best to run
              the extension UNDER the roof rack and along the vehicles roof.

              Send pictures. One of Ricks single pole set ups might be easier.
              Ralph Oborn

              On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:21:02 -0000, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:

              > I'm going to be doing some desert car camping pretty soon and I of
              > course want to use my hammock. I brought this up not too long ago
              > but wanted to ask one more question....has anyone used their vehicle
              > roof rack as one hanging point? I'm thinking I might be able to find
              > one suitable Palo Verde or Mesquite but will likely have to use my
              > SUV for the other side. Anyone try this method before???
              >
              > Jamie in AZ
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Dan Chase
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 19, 2004
                Jamie
                The car-tree setup is convenient. Don't tie to the roof-rack though.
                Tie to the seat belt anchor on the other side and pass the hammock
                rope up over the roof with padding under the rope to protect the
                paint. see photos in the dancaveman folder.
                Dan

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 19, 2004
                  tjarrell@... wrote:

                  >Since you are going to have a vehicle you could bring along one of the hammock hanging racks that Risk and others developed. I built one for my HH Expedition and the longest parts are four 7 foot 2X4's. Once you have it built, take down and set up are very quick. A power drill speeds things up too.

                  Hitting self on forehead...

                  Oh, yeah... I forgot.

                  Risk
                • zippydooda
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 20, 2004
                    Or you could go over the top of the vehicle and down to the rear
                    wheel and thread the rope through the wheel, and then do what Dan
                    said.

                    Bill in Houston

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Chase" <chase@t...> wrote:

                    > Jamie
                    > The car-tree setup is convenient. Don't tie to the roof-rack though.
                    > Tie to the seat belt anchor on the other side and pass the hammock
                    > rope up over the roof with padding under the rope to protect the
                    > paint. see photos in the dancaveman folder.
                    > Dan
                    >

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'm going to be doing some desert car camping pretty soon and I
                    of
                    > > course want to use my hammock. I brought this up not too long
                    ago
                    > > but wanted to ask one more question....has anyone used their
                    > vehicle
                    > > roof rack as one hanging point? I'm thinking I might be able to
                    > find
                    > > one suitable Palo Verde or Mesquite but will likely have to use
                    my
                    > > SUV for the other side. Anyone try this method before???
                    > >
                    > > Jamie in AZ
                  • Bill Keiser
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 20, 2004
                      variations on the theme:
                      - use two poles for a more stable A-frame setup. should only need one
                      tie-down. needs 2 poles though.
                      - use the single pole with two tiedowns. can be used for both ends.
                      - in the absence of a tree to tie to(why would you want to use a tree
                      to anchor your tiedowns if you can just tie directly to the tree
                      itself without poles?), tie to the base of a long pole(2 to 4 feet
                      above the ground) and a secondary tiedown on the long stake to keep it
                      in place, ala circus tents.
                      bs

                      Rick <ra1@i...> wrote:
                      > >I'm going to be doing some desert car camping pretty soon and I of
                      > >course want to use my hammock.

                      > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm
                    • Lenny Nichols
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 20, 2004

                        I have a heavy duty Garvin Wilderness rack on my Jeep Cherokee. I've used it as a tie off for my hammock. Works great!

                        Lenny Nichols, PMP

                      • Matthew Takeda
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 20, 2004
                          Ralph Oborn wrote:
                          >Send pictures. One of Ricks single pole set ups might be easier.

                          If you're in a vehicle, carrying you own pole for the single-pole setup
                          should be no problem. Park the vehicle on the end of the rope and you don't
                          even have to worry about staking it down.

                          Matthew Takeda
                          the JOAT
                        • chcoa
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 24, 2004
                            Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I had some thoughts of my
                            own but you guys gave me more great suggestions. The over the car
                            one I had not considered but might have to try now. The single pole
                            was one I was strongly considering and still am.

                            I will try to remember to take my camara so I can post my solution.
                            THe pics make such a big difference.

                            Thanks again
                            Jamie in AZ