Re: [Hammock Camping] Winter Hammock System - was : Poly Tube DAM

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 17, 2004
      I finished my DAM ver 2 this afternoon (photo album -
      A DAM ver 2). It is more or less as I wrote in the
      following email. It is in my Hammock now and I have
      just gotten out of and have taken a few pictures. It
      is 80 degrees here today so I didn't put the Down
      baffles in it. I am going to play with the length of
      the Poly Tubes in the center of the shell and see If
      that helps with the fit.

      I found a chart that tells how much loft (Down) you
      need for a given temperature, It says I need 4" of
      loft for "0" degrees. The Poly Tubes give me 3-1/2"
      of loft so that is close. My quilt/sleeping bag ???
      what ever I call it will be pretty thick. I don't
      have much space to cover using the new DAM so It will
      not be very big. I am going to get back in the
      hammock later and make some rough measurements so I
      can make a pattern.

      Bill in Texas

      > I went Friday night and bought 12 new 5" tubes. He
      > sealed one end, double for me. He also sealed them
      > on an angle IxI with an overlap at the tip. He
      did
      > that twice. (if this isn't clear and anyone needs a
      > better idea of what I am trying to say I can take a
      > picture or make a drawing).

      > What is next: I am going to add 2 more Poly Tubes
      > to the DAM. Using Matthews thoughts on how I might
      > connect the two parts I will add some material on
      > the sleeve line between the 1st and 2nd tubes from
      each
      > edge that will create a door hinge look. If you
      have
      > ever removed a door from its hinges you should
      > understand how the connection might work. The Poly
      > Tube will act like the hinge pin and connect the top
      > part to the DAM on both sides. This should create a
      > good seal as the connection Poly Tubes will connect
      > in the valley between the other Tubes, I hope. I
      might
      > even be able to close off the foot end using
      > something similar to this. If this works or
      something close I

      http://mail.yahoo.com