Sam's Club down throw underquilt

  • Erika Sohn
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 17, 2004
      Hi everyone,
      Last week I got a 50x58in down filled-poliester throw at Sam's Club
      (in Mexico City, but I'm sure those things must be sold in Sam's in
      the US)
      I sewed velcro strips to the 58in sides so they would fit to my home
      made Speer
      hammock (the one with the high sides) and sewed two light webbing
      strips to the shorter sides of the
      throw, so that I could pass an elastic draw-cord through them and
      attach one cord lock on each end of the drawstring to adjust the
      "underquilt" snugly to the hammock. This took me about 30 minutes to
      do (or less).
      The undequilt cost about $23.0 and the set-up weighs about 700 grams.
      It is also quite compact).
      The only problem I see with this throw is that it is a bit too short
      (but I am not too tall anyway...) I suppose one could attach two of
      these throws, but the problem areas (hips, back and head are covered
      for virtually anyone with one).
      I hope this fast solution can help someone.
      I posted some photos of this set-up in "Erika-s down throw"
      Cheers,
      Erika
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 17, 2004
        Hi Erika, I looked at your pictures. That looks
        really nice. I like what you did for the ends. How
        cold does it it there?
        Bill in Texas

        --- Erika Sohn <sohn@...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        > Last week I got a 50x58in down filled-poliester
        > throw at Sam's Club
        > (in Mexico City, but I'm sure those things must be
        > sold in Sam's in
        > the US)
        > I sewed velcro strips to the 58in sides so they
        > would fit to my home
        > made Speer
        > hammock (the one with the high sides) and sewed two
        > light webbing
        > strips to the shorter sides of the
        > throw, so that I could pass an elastic draw-cord
        > through them and
        > attach one cord lock on each end of the drawstring
        > to adjust the
        > "underquilt" snugly to the hammock. This took me
        > about 30 minutes to
        > do (or less).
        > The undequilt cost about $23.0 and the set-up weighs
        > about 700 grams.
        > It is also quite compact).
        > The only problem I see with this throw is that it is
        > a bit too short
        > (but I am not too tall anyway...) I suppose one
        > could attach two of
        > these throws, but the problem areas (hips, back and
        > head are covered
        > for virtually anyone with one).
        > I hope this fast solution can help someone.
        > I posted some photos of this set-up in "Erika-s down
        > throw"
        > Cheers,
        > Erika

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Erika Sohn
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 17, 2004
          Hi Bill,
          I haven't tested it yet...just took a nap in it for a while and it
          felt great. But
          the idea thrilled me and I thought I might share it.
          Right now it is not cold (just quite rainy), but we are surrounded by
          9000+ ft
          mountains that can get about 10C below freezing in Winter (with snow),
          but
          then I would use another, better quilt. What I did test was to
          insert my 3/4 thermarest pad between the hammock and the quilt,
          and I was able to adjust it inside the hammock by opening the velcro
          a bit and fidgeting around. It seems to work great. I'll have to spend
          a night in it to tell you if it really works, but I would estimate
          that the quilt's rating would be that of a summer sleeping bag.
          Anyway, you can get away with it very fast and cheap.
          What I was thinking on doing was to sew another strip of the opposite
          velcro to the quilt (on the other side) to be able to attach the bug
          net, or, in order to avoid such thick sides, use wider velcro on the
          hammock to be able to attach both, the quilt and the bug-net to it.

          I already
          got some down to make a custom quilt, but I'm still hesitant...
          :)...you'll hear about my
          mess in some time...
          Thanks,
          Erika

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 17, 2004
            Hi Erika, The nice part of being able to sew a little
            is that most of the time each thing you make leads to
            the next and next etc. Ideas grow form other ideas.
            The Down setup I am working on has goal with a low of
            "0" Fahrenheit. I think I will need close to 2 pounds
            of 800+ Down. I am just taking it a step at a time.

            Comfort Rating in Degrees Fahrenheit

            Respective Loft Height in inches for Down.

            40 degrees = 1.5" loft

            30 degrees = 2.0" loft

            20 degrees = 2.5" loft

            10 degrees = 3.25" loft

            0 degrees = 4.0" loft
            You are in a good place to do your testing. I also,
            found that one or sometimes 2 sleeping pads and a
            decent sleeping bag would get me down to about 30
            degrees in my hammock.

            I know lots of folks use Velcro I have it on things
            but I hate that stuff so much.

            I have just made something out of Down for the first
            time. It isn't that bad if you just take your time.
            Try something small first then go for it.

            Bill in Texas

            http://vote.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 18, 2004
              Erika,

              That is really clever. How does its width compare to the width of
              your hammock? I like your accessory pouch on your bugnet's
              ridgeline, can you use you bugnet with your under blanket?

              Youngblood

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Erika Sohn" <sohn@a...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              > Last week I got a 50x58in down filled-poliester throw at Sam's Club
              > (in Mexico City, but I'm sure those things must be sold in Sam's in
              > the US)
              > I sewed velcro strips to the 58in sides so they would fit to my home
              > made Speer
              > hammock (the one with the high sides) and sewed two light webbing
              > strips to the shorter sides of the
              > throw, so that I could pass an elastic draw-cord through them and
              > attach one cord lock on each end of the drawstring to adjust the
              > "underquilt" snugly to the hammock. This took me about 30 minutes to
              > do (or less).
              > The undequilt cost about $23.0 and the set-up weighs about 700
              grams.
              > It is also quite compact).
              > The only problem I see with this throw is that it is a bit too short
              > (but I am not too tall anyway...) I suppose one could attach two of
              > these throws, but the problem areas (hips, back and head are covered
              > for virtually anyone with one).
              > I hope this fast solution can help someone.
              > I posted some photos of this set-up in "Erika-s down throw"
              > Cheers,
              > Erika
            • Amy Skowronek
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 19, 2004
                On Oct 18, 2004, at 12:20 AM, Bill Fornshell wrote:
                > You are in a good place to do your testing. I also,
                > found that one or sometimes 2 sleeping pads and a
                > decent sleeping bag would get me down to about 30
                > degrees in my hammock.

                FWIW, I found that 2 sleeping pads, a good sleeping bag,
                and an overbag had me a little too warm at 5F.

                -amy
              • Bill Fornshell
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 19, 2004
                  I should have said used in my Speer Silk Hammock, a 20
                  degree bag, a Target Blue pad and a 1.5" Thermarest on
                  top of the Target pad. I have used this combination
                  down to 29 degrees and was very warm. A second pad is
                  added at about 40 degrees or so. Bill in Texas